It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MAGNETS! and a 3D Printer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Hullo all!

I have a few interests that I would love to indulge in. Magnets, Tinkering and Quackery. Perhaps someone can assist in the madness. I know I'm in the right place....

I recently purchased a decent 3D printer and I figured, why not play around with the many cool ideas and 'inventions' that I spent a lot of time thinking about many years before this was possible for me. Now that I have the capability, I want to play!!

Some many years back, there was a fella, I think his last name was Hubble, Hobble, Ho... something. I can't remember. I think his first name might have been Robert. He claimed that 'aliens' (yeah I know) gave him designs on building a space ship - which he had a micro photo of. I'm sure it was BS but the concept had me curious and interested in his idea. What he made was some sort of barrel with a cone surrounded by magnets that he claimed worked too well. One instance, the gadget spun so fast that it glowed red hot before it shot off into the clouds. The idea was bogus, I think, but the way he laid out the magnets made me think that perhaps maybe there was something to it - the magnet part anyways.

I've always been fascinated with magnets and in the back of my mind I somehow feel that there just might be some kind of magic to them in the sense that perhaps... maybe... just maybe it's possible to use them towards creating an energy source. I'm sure a lot of you brainiacs may say otherwise and it's a stupid pipe dream but whatever... I still enjoy tinkering with them simply because they're fascinating.

Just maybe there is something in the various schematics that we've seen with John Lear and others of how electromagnetic forces are used in powering spacecraft.

So... With this new 3D printer - I want to experiment
Likely nothing will come of it but I'm still interested in devising some kind of magnetic contraption - like a fat kid in a candy shop.

So ATS, what I'm asking is... if you have any ideas or information that I can use towards these pipe dream inventions, please let me know or point me in the right direction. Yes, Youtube is FULL of BS magnet free energy vids but I'm not interested in those because they're obviously fake. What I'm looking for are things that intellectuals might consider 'plausible' even if down some deep rabbit hole. I'm up for the ride! Finding something interesting on YT is difficult because of all of the trash you have to sort through.

What do you say? Lets build some crazy, far out $#!*. I have lots of filament, N45 Neodymium Magnets, 200krpm mini DC motors and a strong will to build some crazy ideas.

Thanks for the interest!
edit on 15-5-2020 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I'm curious to know what type of material your printer will work with. If it's metal, I have a commission for you! I checked around last year and the metal printers were very very expensive. Most of them do some sort of plastic polymer. All I want is a drawer pull, nothing exotic, but it must be somewhat strong.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Interesting task you have put forward.

I just install and work on elevators with a degree in electronics from the 80's. So much has a advanced since then, no idea where to start at the moment.

Good luck !

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

It uses PLA, ABS, HIPS, PETG, Wood and TPU. I've seen some PLA 'infused' with metal and I've also been curious to see if it will work with metal filament, though the temperature for the filament will need to be able to melt at or under around 260C. It's a FDM (Fused Deposition Modeling) printer. I've read that it 'could' but I would have to test it. It's set to print down to 50 microns (0.05mm) though I may end up buying a 100 micron Extruder Head because it'll print some prints a bit smoother - depending on what I'm printing.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
Hey schuyler, check around for someone that has a wax 3d printer (Formlabs, possibly others) They could print it for you and then you could have it cast. Might get kinda pricey though unless you know someone who can cast it for you cheap. Or check out shapeways, they 3d print, cast etc. Don't know how expensive it is though.

Stallionduck, sounds fun! I have no ideas(lol) but can't wait to see what you come up with! Many years ago I saw a guy on youtube (i know lol) that was doing something with magnets and copper tube I believe..somehow it suspended an object inside the tube, and made it float down slowly. I haven't been able to find it again but if I do I will post it here.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Which printer just out of curiosity? I have an Ender 3 which is working well for the applications I need it for, however I've also spent more than the cost of the printer in upgrades in order to gain the functionality I wanted.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Starcrossd

You can do that with just a magnet and a copper tube. Just drop the magnet through the tube. It creates a magnetic field that dampens the speed of the magnet and it'll come out slowly.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

ANYCUBIC Mega-S

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Check out Ken Wheeler and his "Mysteries of Magnetism "
videos ono YouTube. That may give you some ideas.
He also has a free book :
archive.org...
If you want to try to make your own permanent magnets,
1937 Popular Mechanics Shop Notes tells how to build
a magnetizer. It can be found here:
www.librum.us...
Basicly, steel that cant be hardened doesn't make good
permanent magnets. Tool steel can be hardened
by simply heating it red hot with propane torch
and quenching quickly in water.
The steel at that point will be brittle and hard,
but will make good magnets. To soften tool
steel so you can cut it, you need too heat to red hot
and cool slowly . (The slower the better). That
can be done by burrying the red hot steel in sand.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: RavenSpeaks

Thanks Raven!

Much appreciated!

For anyone that's interested in that fella I referred to in my OP, as soon as I started to fall asleep last night, it hit me...

David Hamel

There was a lot more information back when. Keep in mind, this all came about before facebook was a thing. I remember reading about it and I "Think" hearing about it on either Art Bell's show or Jeff Rense's show.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
If anyone is interested in this old guy's work... It is facinating!
....and a good way of me finding it later.

This guy may sound crazy but he really believes what he's saying so much so that he spent the rest of his life actually building his UFO. Even after the feds broke in and took all his stuff.

David Hamel Website

Additional Site

One More

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 03:24 AM
link   
haha! well im a dope! That is cool, thanks for clarifying for me

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Starcrossd

Nah... I didn't know about it until I saw a video on it a few years back. Blew my mind too.

top topics

join