It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stanford prison experiment for the country

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   

The Stanford prison experiment (SPE) was a social psychology experiment that attempted to investigate the psychological effects of perceived power, focusing on the struggle between prisoners and prison officers. It was conducted at Stanford University on the days of August 14–20, 1971 by a research group led by psychology professor Philip Zimbardo using college students.[1] In the study, volunteers were assigned to be either "guards" or "prisoners" by the flip of a coin, in a mock prison, with Zimbardo himself serving as the superintendent. Several "prisoners" left mid-experiment, and the whole experiment was abandoned after six days. Early reports on experimental results claimed that students quickly embraced their assigned roles, with some guards enforcing authoritarian measures and ultimately subjecting some prisoners to psychological torture, while many prisoners passively accepted psychological abuse and, by the officers' request, actively harassed other prisoners who tried to stop it. The experiment has been described in many introductory social psychology textbooks,[2] although some have chosen to exclude it because its methodology is sometimes questioned.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

Bold is mine.

I think we're seeing the Stanford prison experiment writ large for the entire country.

Governors are in a position of power which, in an opportune moment, they use to abuse.

This is why we're seeing the lock-downs, the shut-downs.

The draconian, insane measures.

We see food stores open where people co-mingle but no one can go to church.

It's a power trip that any Psych 101 student should be able to recognize.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Ya know, the whole thing definitely smacks of some kind of wicked PSYOP or psych experiment. Take away human touch, interaction, schedules, social structure, “fun” and most every other aspect of “normal life” and do away with all of it.

Wait months....

Watch mental health issues skyrocket across the land.... Marked by substance and alcohol abuse, domestic violence, depressions and anxiety, and of course numerous unnecessary suicides.

Voila. Presto. You got enough material for PhD students for decades....

edit on 15-5-2020 by slatesteam because: Pho Cough

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   

But in that experiment to power was given to the inmate/general population with perceived roles, which they then took upon positions of power and abused to become authority figures. Since governors already have positions of authority, would the example be best served if the population had the authority to decide and dictate who gets or is allowed what? Similar to a modern day Lord of the Flies, perhaps, with social factions competing for the fittest.
edit on 15-5-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

It’s early in the game. Tribalism coming soon....

What’s neat to note with this whole shebang is the old lines in the sand have shifted, and it’s only somewhat been politicized. Paradigm shifts galore!

This whole thing is fraught with ethical and moral decisions at the individual, societal, and national levels.....

“United We Stand” and stuff....

edit on 15-5-2020 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2020 by slatesteam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: slatesteam

Coming? It's here. It just doesn't quite have the power because there isn't rampant lawlessness. Yet.

If there was true anarchy, you better well believe...

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: slatesteam

Coming? It's here. It just doesn't quite have the power because there isn't rampant lawlessness. Yet.

If there was true anarchy, you better well believe...

Fixed it. But yeah. That book gives me the willies. Much more afraid of social breakdown than the actual virus!

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Yet governors have never had the opportunity, until now, to extend their authority and power.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Yet governors have never had the opportunity, until now, to extend their authority and power.

Actually they were endorsed/berated by the prez into having to do so... kinda weird. I really wish there was a national directive that was streamlined and made policy sense from a medical/scientific standpoint. Alas....

No one seems to agree. Quite a conundrum...

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: slatesteam

The state governors where basically given the green light, a blank check, free rein by the federal government (Trump) to do whatever they wanted.

And as we're seeing, many, most took full advantage.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Maybe never a reason except for a localized natural disaster (what with curfews, etc) wherein they impose emergency declarations. As is their right.

But I guess I see what you're getting at with your OP: When the federal government response has been essentially eliminated or absent, the lessers (state governments/population) fills the void/vacuum, and become their own arbiters/tribalism addressing concerns.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I don't understand your tribalism slant so much.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I don't understand your tribalism slant so much.

It regards my previous comment referencing Lord of the Flies, and your OP about the experiment. In the absence of authority, factions of authority will form, some stronger, some weaker. The stronger take hold. That's akin to tribalism.

That's why at first I didn't understand how the prison experiment had relevance to state governments, unless looked at through the lens of an absent (federal) authority, so states form their own factions or pacts and become the arbiter—even though they already are, to a degree.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Americans spanning generations are not going to stand for it. It's the new immigrants or illegal aliens that will accept it because that is their mentality; run and hide to safety. They are not going to stand up for themselves unfortunately but that is ok. There are still plenty of us left who absolutely will stand up. A lot of people either forget or do not know because they are illegal aliens that America was formed by burning down the house of the Governor of Boston.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Take away human touch

I shook a customers hand by mistake yesterday. Sorry, it just happened.

He stuck it out there and habit took over. It felt good! It had been months since I shook a hand. I mean it really did feel good and warming to clasp his hand.

They have taken away more than we even realize yet.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   

The state governors where basically given the green light, a blank check, free rein by the federal government (Trump) to do whatever they wanted.

It looks like many are in the process of hanging themselves with it too.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

It does. Not TX though. They may snag Elon Musk and Joe Rogan. Both are serious about moving to TX. Two major influences in the US. TX is damn near open. Driving around today everything is open. I went to a nice strip mall today. Almost fully operational.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   

And now there's talk of an electric RNA/DNA vaccine handed out through a show of force display by the end of the year.

"...yaaay."

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Take away human touch

I shook a customers hand by mistake yesterday. Sorry, it just happened.

He stuck it out there and habit took over. It felt good! It had been months since I shook a hand. I mean it really did feel good and warming to clasp his hand.

They have taken away more than we even realize yet.

I’m not saying I’d get my hand bit by a dog again to be touched and provided gentle care from a cute ER nurse..... but yeah I hear ya. It’s powerful stuff

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

It does. Not TX though. They may snag Elon Musk and Joe Rogan. Both are serious about moving to TX. Two major influences in the US. TX is damn near open. Driving around today everything is open. I went to a nice strip mall today. Almost fully operational.

That ain't no big deal, I got a hair cut Tuesday.

edit on 15-5-2020 by LookingAtMars because: ME

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

That ain't no big deal, I got a hair cut Tuesday.

If anything at all, this pandemic has taught me that the most highly prized skills during an apocalypse will be hairstylist and toilet paper manufacturing. I think I picked TOTALLY the wrong skills to hone for my postapocalyptic value. Im gonna be a hamburger..

edit on 15-5-2020 by Advantage because: Changed a word

<<   2 >>

join