It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cortana - audio collection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 04:05 AM
link   
So when I got up this morning, the taskbar had changed. It now has Cortana on it, in addition to a task view. An update overnight, I guess. However, what I'm wondering is this: does Cortana have the ability to collect audio even if you don't have a microphone attached to your system? I have literally no idea how this stuff works.

I opened the icon, went to settings and made sure everything is off, but I don't particularly trust Microsoft to have it genuinely turned off. OTOH, I don't feel competent to go mucking about with a registry edit either. I just want to know about the capabilities of Cortana....what is it doing right now.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: drussell41

Try this ...

www.howtogeek.com...

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru

Try this ...

www.howtogeek.com...

Thanks, Cymru.

Does Windows 10 come with a microphone; i.e.,can it hear you without your installing a microphone yourself?
edit on 14-5-2020 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 04:58 AM
link   
That is down to your hardware. Does your laptop or desktop have a mic?

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Nope, it does not. Went into Control Panel, Sound.....no mics listed under Recording. So I guess no worries?
edit on 14-5-2020 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Result !

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 06:38 AM
link   
No microphone eh?, but what about a camera on your computer.......lipreading.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: drussell41
Nope, it does not. Went into Control Panel, Sound.....no mics listed under Recording. So I guess no worries?

Awesome!

Now the bad people can't hear your secrets and force you to do insane things, or leak your incriminating deeds to loved ones and the authorities.

I've seen that Black Mirror episode..

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:13 AM
link   
All of my cameras are disabled and taped over just in case. Mics too on my laptops. I would like to find a way to rip Cortana completely out of my system along with Edge and Adobe update permanently. I keep removed Adobe Updater and it keeps getting reinstalled.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Well...I've already had it....diff. is it results in internet AND your personal files at the same time being searched

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Insalinity

originally posted by: drussell41

Awesome!

Now the bad people can't hear your secrets and force you to do insane things, or leak your incriminating deeds to loved ones and the authorities.

I've seen that Black Mirror episode..

What? LOL!

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot
No microphone eh?, but what about a camera on your computer.......lipreading.

No camera.

top topics

join