It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will people stick to their buy American convictions

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I've seen this sentiment said a lot lately. ~ Buy American!!!! Buy American, buy American!!
I just don't think it's true.

I have personally spent more on Made in USA products because I believe in it and in almost all cases it is better quality.

But..... I see a lot of conservatives scream no more Made in China, and then head right over to Hobby Lobby and fill their carts
with tons of Made in China stuff, then go to Walmart and do the same thing. I hope this pandemic changes things, but I don't feel like it will.
I think people are addicted to cheap goods.

edit on 4-5-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I do as often as possible, always have. But I grew up in a different world.then we live now.

Getting harder to find american made products every year. Really hope our government brings our manufacturing back.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   

If they don't have the income levels they had before it's not going to happen and the longer this shutdown crap goes on the likelier it is that they wont.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Maybe a lot of people will realize what I have, with all this going on.

I don't need most of this crap. I've been gutting the house. So much "stuff" gathering dust.

Why do we need so much "stuff" period?

If your only buying what you need, you can afford to buy American, I would guess.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I don't buy that Chinese crap anymore.
I HAVE been buying plenty of Chinese antiques at auction, in order to rob them of their cultural heritage.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

If people weren't doing it before for the right reasons, then they won't do it now for the right reasons, and it will only last as long as it serves their personal interests...

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's the long and the short if it

Buy what is cheap and affordable because that's what is economically viable. Spending more for less seems counterproductive.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

My American ford fusion was made in mexico.
My neighbors Japanese Toyota was made in Indiana....

Which one of us owns a foreign car?

I also just bought a craftsman push mower that says made in America.... From world wide components...

Truthfully I buy American made where it's practical but it's impossible sometimes...

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I think people are addicted to cheap goods.

Especially now that so many are out of work.

It’s a catch 22.

The arrogance of China just might compel me to spend more on American goods.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The only way this would actually work is for the Federal Government to intervene through tariffs and incentives to bring manufacturing back to the US.I believe now is the perfect time for the Federal Government to act against the Chinese economy and stimulate the US economy with more jobs.

I think the average US citizen would be ok with doing without a few luxuries and paying a little bit more for them as a way to restart the US economy while crippling the Chinese economy. I also think most of our Western allies could be brought into the mix and create a much more level and fair trade environment that would send the Chinese economy back decades in just a short period of time.

I would love to see Made in China be a thing of the past. We built China through horrible trade deals. We can destroy them by ending these trade deals.

The US economy truly could be great again if the next few rounds of bailouts included Made in America incentives that created new permanent Made in America jobs. I would rather see money pumped into a Made in America movement than just randomly thrown around in stimulus checks.

We have a tremendous opportunity to bring long lost jobs back to the US, which returns long lost tax revenue to the US. The corporate backed politicians might make this political but I believe most voters on both sides would see this as a win for the US and our Western allies.

I would like to believe this virus was an unintentional disaster. But their lies about the virus were definitely intentional and the CCP needs to pay for their lies.

edit on 4-5-2020 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

I would rather see money pumped into a Made in America movement than just randomly thrown around in stimulus checks.

totally agree, and it would help people long term

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73
The only way this would actually work is for the Federal Government to intervene through tariffs...

Right, because the people impacted by the brunt of this shutdown then need prices artificially inflated via tariffs to help them afford things.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:26 PM
link   
In order to buy American you must have availability. Worldwide markets are too intertwined for that. Of the top five American made cars, three are Hondas.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I hope people stick to it.
If during these current events isn't enough of a kick to the junk for people to realize we all need to be buying local, then I'm afraid no one's gonna learn ever.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

The only way this would actually work is for the Federal Government to intervene through tariffs...

Right, because the people impacted by the brunt of this shutdown then need prices artificially inflated via tariffs to help them afford things.

I clearly stated that it’s my opinion most of us, I’m actually one of those who would have to go without, would be willing to sacrifice some knowing that we were building a better future for the US.

We don’t need made in third world where we take advantage of impoverished economies. I personally don’t think the US should trade with anyone who doesn’t agree to a standard minimum wage that is at least 90% of the US minimum wage. I also don’t think that we should trade with countries that don’t agree to minimum environmental standards.

We can’t stop world pollution by buying crap from the worlds worst polluters. Makes way more sense than all the BS money thrown at the not so Green energy here in the US.

I don’t like the wealthy corporate overlords taking advantage of nations that can’t provide a decent standard of living to their working class. There was a time when we were outraged by what we called “sweat shops”. Now we hear nothing about it because the news isn’t allowed to speak on the subject, because they are owned by the same entities that take advantage of the situation.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Considering you want us all stuck inside our houses for months more to make you feel safer ... I'm not sure why you're that worried about it.

Right now, no one is having that much of a chance to show their convictions on anything.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I clearly stated that it’s my opinion most of us, I’m actually one of those who would have to go without, would be willing to sacrifice some knowing that we were building a better future for the US.

You stated that the only solution was tariffs and to claim to know what the other 319,000,000 other Americans would do is hubris. Your solutions impact only working class Americans, not the upper class.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You arguing against my claim for the 319,000,000 must also be hubris? Do you know that they would not support a burden that would have long term benifits to the US economy? Isn’t that the point of debate? To take the side you think is either most right or most supported?

There is no significant way to impact the upper class without changing the entire form of the economy.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Do you know that they would not support a burden that would have long term benifits to the US economy?

History and basic economics teach that the majority of people will gravitate towards the lesser priced goods or service in most cases. This is why supply and demand is such an immutable aspect of basic economics.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Do you know that they would not support a burden that would have long term benifits to the US economy?

History and basic economics teach that the majority of people will gravitate towards the lesser priced goods or service in most cases. This is why supply and demand is such an immutable aspect of basic economics.

There is also history when people were informed of working conditions oversees that they were outraged. A time when people wanted American made products to support our economy and held corporations accountable for exploiting third world economies.

The American people had no say in the trade agreements that destroyed the middle class. The American people had no say in the Corporate class taking ownership of the media so they could spin the trade as good for the American people.

It’s time for the American people to take back control and then we can decide which historical path was and is the best for the American people.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join