It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With kids stuck at home, ER doctors see more severe cases of child abuse

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This is not an OP I am happy to author, but it needs to be known.

With kids stuck at home, ER doctors see more severe cases of child abuse

Since the coronavirus pandemic forced schools to close and families to stay home, the calls have slowed to two to five a week, with more of them involving children with injuries so visible — a broken arm, a beat-up face — an adult had to seek medical help.

“What keeps me up at night,” Haslett said, “is the children that we’re not seeing.”

Across the country, from California to Iowa to Massachusetts, child abuse reports have plummeted since the virus arrived....

The cases surfacing often involve children so severely injured they end up in the emergency room and intensive care unit. In some hospitals, they are dying at an unusually high rate.

This is what happens when abused children are locked down with their abusers, with nowhere to run and nowhere to hide, helpless and hopeless, and no one to protect them. Especially their teachers, the one person who has regular contact with these children, and are most likely to notice and report signs of child abuse:

Year after year, most referrals to child protective services come from professionals — police officers, lawyers, doctors, anyone who comes into contact with a child as part of their job. But no group reports more than educators, who were responsible for 21 percent of the 4.3 million referrals made in 2018, according to federal data.

With the country locked down, the only people seeing children are the very people most likely to abuse them, said Jeanine Harper, executive director of Greater Richmond SCAN (Stop Child Abuse Now).

Of course abusive parents are not going to report themselves, and are not likely to seek medical attention for injuries they themselves inflict on their children, at least not until the injuries are literally life-threatening... and often fatal. Too little too late.

“People are waiting until these children have stopped breathing or something extremely serious before they’re coming into the emergency departments,” Vinocur said....

“What have these children been living in prior to this? What have they had to endure before the final act that brought them to our hospital?”

I would like to believe that grown ass adults, who are capable of taking care of themselves, would prioritize the needs of those who cannot take care of themselves, who cannot protect themselves from the grown ass adults abusing them. But the first comment (at the time I read), makes it clear that they do not and will not:

Is it worth losing my dad and mother-in-law so that Johnny and Suzie won't be raped?

Isn't that special? It sure is, but in the worst way. Somehow the possibility that Mom and Dad might die from a virus is more important than the children who will no doubt be raped and abused.

There is absolutely nothing reasonable or virtuous in "protecting" the strong at the expense of the weak. In the grand scheme of things, they are no better than the abusers. I hope there is a special place in hell for these oh-so-special narcissistic sociopaths.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Changed my mind.
edit on 1-5-2020 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   
As someone who sees her children as nothing short of miraculous gifts, I'll never understand what goes on in a person's head that leads them to abuse their own children. Are we the only species that do this? Offspring who are safer with adults they aren't even related to, than with their own parents. It's tragic. All other animals will do anything to protect their young, even sacrificing themselves to draw a predator away. What in the world has happened to us?

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Ummm...pretty much what I stated yesterday...in another thread...

Ummm...so your saying...more divorce...more domestic violence...more pedophilia...more homicide...more suicide... I think that about checks everything off the list...right...? Cause long term isolation in small group settings...will always bring out the true inner character... Be advised...these are only my personal observations on human nature... I’ve observed that when it comes down to survival...territorial fight/flight will be the norm...in your face...literally... See...it’s really nice and quaint to imagine the lion laying down with the lambs...but realism...is a whole other ball of wax... Not prescience...only logic...and opinion of course...

Sometimes I hate being right...sometimes...

YouSir

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I grew up in a very abusive set of homes. I can't even imagine something like this happening back then. I would not have survived it.

For me, school became a refuge. Endless art supplies and endless books to read. I did not always enjoy my classes but I loved what they represented.

Summers weren't bad though. It was hot and the adults in my life loved to drink and party out at the pool or away with friends. We were left alone for the most part. I used to ride my bike to the beach and stay all day and they didn't care, which was heaven.

I can absolutely imagine what these children are going through because I know how rotten parents can be. There will be decades of therapy for the kids who survive and their lives will be irrevocably altered. Surviving truly abusive parents is a lifelong process.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Not only are kids stuck with their abusers, but their abusers are under a pressure vice too. Imagine being those adults. You're already prone to abusive outbursts to begin with, and now your life is likely spiraling out of control because of world circumstances - job in doubt if not gone outright, etc. So the personal pressure is going to ratchet up the incidences of abuse even more.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: new_here
As someone who sees her children as nothing short of miraculous gifts, I'll never understand what goes on in a person's head that leads them to abuse their own children. Are we the only species that do this? Offspring who are safer with adults they aren't even related to, than with their own parents. It's tragic. All other animals will do anything to protect their young, even sacrificing themselves to draw a predator away. What in the world has happened to us?

In my experience and opinion, it happened when women were conditioned to believe that a career was more important than being a mother. Women were told they could "have it all." And as more women entered the workforce, even more women were expected/pressured to enter the work force. As two-income households became the norm, prices increased accordingly (supply and demand), and at some point, two-incomes were required to maintain a home and lifestyle.

Children are paying the price in many ways.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

In this case, I'm betting what you really hate is that you are right about this. And rightfully so.

I'd like to be wrong about this too.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

I am so sorry that you know this pain personally. I give you much credit and respect for rising above it.

Thank you for sharing though. I think many people don't want to believe it, and will turn a blind eye. Personal experiences shared shine a much needed light on the dynamics.

People need to know.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Not only are kids stuck with their abusers, but their abusers are under a pressure vice too. Imagine being those adults. You're already prone to abusive outbursts to begin with, and now your life is likely spiraling out of control because of world circumstances - job in doubt if not gone outright, etc. So the personal pressure is going to ratchet up the incidences of abuse even more.

Yes! Thank you for making that important point. People who abuse their kids are not those who handle problems and challenges well. It's to be expected that parents who struggle under the best of circumstances are going to struggle that much more under lockdown situations.

And this isn't rocket science. This could have and should have been foreseen to appropriate resources and protocols established for these kids.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
Women were told they could "have it all."

Women can have it all, it's called a sugar daddy.

As for the topic I'm not surprised in the least, I'm sure the violent scumbags are also out there abusing their pets and spouses as well. More unintended consequences suffered from this imbecilic shutdown.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Before anyone else thinks to use falsely reported cases, especially among educators, the percentage of such is not high enough to negate the OP by any means. This is a real problem I have experienced and seen firsthand. I consider myself among the lucky ones. I sincerely feel for those who don't have any place to go and no one to turn to.

Thanks for posting this. Yet another area where the cure is worse than the disease.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That is what I had originally posted here,I have been yelling
at my cat some lately.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yep. My SO and I joke about "day-drinking" but she still works every day, even if it is mostly from home. Drinking isn't an issue for us so those jokes are safe. Applejacks delivers, woo hoo!

But the people prone to those outbursts can get Applejacks delivered to. It might represent 1/12th of their money right now but that rarely factors when you live in constant, grinding poverty.

Some people prone to irrational outbursts at their children barely keep it in check when they have lots of daily accountability. Now they have no accountability. How far can you go if you have to be back at work Monday and the kids need to be in school? How far can you go if school is online and you don't know if you'll ever have a job again?

What a mess.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Yep. Not looking for sympathy (you can find that in the dictionary between #e and syphilis). I just offer a tiny peek at my own personal experiences to help illustrate the severity of the problem. Truth is you said it better than I did.

People who abuse their kids are not those who handle problems and challenges well. It's to be expected that parents who struggle under the best of circumstances are going to struggle that much more under lockdown situations.

Real talk and real truth. Thank you!

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Women were told they could "have it all."

Women can have it all, it's called a sugar daddy.

As for the topic I'm not surprised in the least, I'm sure the violent scumbags are also out there abusing their pets and spouses as well. More unintended consequences suffered from this imbecilic shutdown.

I now have two dogs. Apparently people are driving to our small affluent village and abandoning their pets because they can't take care of them... All the animal shelters are closed down and the animal control officers are laid off.
It breaks my heart to see these poor scared animals running up and down the street looking for their people.
I have taken in 2, a little mutt and a Jack Russel. My neighbors, bless their heart have also taken in 2 strays as well.

This is only the tip of the iceburg as far as unintended consequences from this panic response to the batflu. Cure worse than the disease indeed!
edit on 1-5-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Good on you, man.

Both of my dogs are thrilled about all this shutdown crap, they think it's all about them.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   

a reply to: YouSir

In this case, I'm betting what you really hate is that you are right about this. And rightfully so.

I'd like to be wrong about this too.

Ummm...precisely...I have a special place in hell picked out for those that abuse the defenseless...

Just because I can see why and how these things happen...and frequently speak to it...certainly doesn’t equate association...

I am an alpha type...but I try to live in the light...I try to bring and shine light into some of these darker behavior’s...
Because there are monsters that haunt the dark...and their all entirely too human...

Thank you also for being a beacon...and shining light the way you always seem to do...

We may have clashed in other threads...on other topics...but I’ve got to give you credit and respect for the many times I’ve read your words...and I always read them...even though I rarely comment in your threads...

I almost also hate that I can recognize how these traits evolve...how they’re transmitted from generation to generation...how they’re a part of all animal species...and how I also recognize and admit that we’re all just animals as well...clothed in a very thin veneer of the civilized...

YouSir

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: olaru12

Good on you, man.

Both of my dogs are thrilled about all this shutdown crap, they think it's all about them.

Ummm...I know what you mean...my dog...(Belgian Tervuren)...is loving all this stay at home...

Separation anxiety...what separation anxiety...

And no seatbelts or electrical cords chewed...

YouSir

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I knew the implications of the lock Down would be far reaching and these effects I must admit I didn’t think of at all. It makes total sense and it’s heart breaking.

I knew people would be depressed, angry and even hopeless. Some people can’t handle these emotions very well even at the best of times.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join