It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With kids stuck at home, ER doctors see more severe cases of child abuse

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Thank you also for being a beacon...and shining light the way you always seem to do...

We may have clashed in other threads...on other topics...but I’ve got to give you credit and respect for the many times I’ve read your words...and I always read them...even though I rarely comment in your threads...

Thank you for the kind words. I very much appreciate that.

We don't need to agree to have respect for one another. And we can clash without ill will or hard feelings. I welcome being challenged. It may not change my opinion, but if it gives me another perspective, I am a better person for it. And I very much appreciate that as well.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Women can have it all, it's called a sugar daddy.

That would be a little too much for me!

As for the topic I'm not surprised in the least, I'm sure the violent scumbags are also out there abusing their pets and spouses as well. More unintended consequences suffered from this imbecilic shutdown.

Yup. Just one of many. And I doubt we'll ever know just how much damage has been done.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: Boadicea
Before anyone else thinks to use falsely reported cases, especially among educators, the percentage of such is not high enough to negate the OP by any means.

Thank you for adding this -- excellent point. I do expect someone will try to minimize or otherwise discredit this very sad truth.

This is a real problem I have experienced and seen firsthand. I consider myself among the lucky ones. I sincerely feel for those who don't have any place to go and no one to turn to.

I'm sorry to your that you know this pain personally. You and others give me hope for these kids' future. But it will be a long painful road.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
I knew the implications of the lock Down would be far reaching and these effects I must admit I didn’t think of at all. It makes total sense and it’s heart breaking.

I knew people would be depressed, angry and even hopeless. Some people can’t handle these emotions very well even at the best of times.

I understand that for people with no knowledge and experience of these matters would not necessarily foresee it. But there are plenty who no doubt did. And the idiots in charge damn well should have!

Unfortunately, I did see this coming... I once worked for the county Children's Services Division. It was my job to collate and summarize reports of child abuse from our various offices and agents. Something you can never un-see and never un-know. Much less forget.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Every coin has two sides.

I am aware of the students (usually female or gay) who were sexually victimized in the context of public school, for whom this lock-down has been a deliverance.

A girl who was sexually assaulted at school. Her abuser was sent to juvenile/alternative school for the rest of the year. Then his record was wiped clean.

He was seated next to her in homeroom on the first day of school this year.

The single parent (female) could not get the school system to defend her daughter. The abusers parents claim their son is being wrongly accused, and the teacher is out to get him.

Mom doesn't have the resources to homeschool.

The daughter is a suicide risk.

I know that there are a lot more kids abused by despicable bio-parents.

But the number of children who have ESCAPED abuse via this lock-down is not zero.

just saying.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Graysen

But the number of children who have ESCAPED abuse via this lock-down is not zero.

just saying.

Quite honestly, I don't even see how that is even relevant. I'll bet fewer people are being mugged and raped in general just because they aren't out and about as often.

There is nothing virtuous about putting people in harm's way, and putting children in harm's way (or trying to minimize or rationalize it) is despicable.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   

The title is misleading imo.

"With parents and kids stuck at home..." would be better suited perhaps.

Space to breathe, positive distractions and time to relax has been (purposefully) removed with lockdowns which is why this is more newsworthy under the current circumstances.

Child abuse won't dissappear when lockdowns are lifted.

All hail the "CORONAKIDS", victims of the future. They will grow up to repeat, repeat, repeat the mistakes their parents make.

Many adults ARE children. They just believe ignorantly that having sex makes them grown up.

We are animals and will always be.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: Graysen

just saying.

Quite honestly, I don't even see how that is even relevant. I'll bet fewer people are being mugged and raped in general just because they aren't out and about as often.

There is nothing virtuous about putting people in harm's way, and putting children in harm's way (or trying to minimize or rationalize it) is despicable.

It's about as relevant as your op is. The only realistic aurgument anyone has against the shutdown is the economic implications it'll have in the long run. Trying to equate people who agree with the shelter in place order to a child abuser is asinine...but what could one expect from the people of ats?

Please explain how agreeing with the lockdown equates to being for something that is and was already illegal(child abuse) and highly frowned upon by society in general? How does this even make sense to you?

Anyone who's actually been abused has a child knows these people don't do it because they're "extra stressed because of a, b or c".They do it becuase they're trash. Sounds like the people you got a problem with is dcf for constantly failing kids left and right, not people you disagree with on the response to the virus🙄

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

The title is misleading imo.

Misleading? Bull.

mis·lead·ing
giving the wrong idea or impression.

There is absolutely nothing misleading about the title. Children are stuck at home and ER doctors are seeing more severe cases of child abuse... It is incomplete, however, in that it doesn't mention CHILD DEATHS!

But given the rest of your pathetic comment trying to excuse, rationalize and whitewash the truth, I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant.

"With parents and kids stuck at home..." would be better suited perhaps.

What weasel words -- "better suited" -- for grown ass adults who bully and brutalize the very ones they should be giving their ALL to protect.

My sympathy and compassion will be reserved exclusively for the victims here.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Jg513

It's about as relevant as your op is. The only realistic aurgument anyone has against the shutdown is the economic implications it'll have in the long run.

The only realistic argument? Because these children suffering and DYING are not real? Because the pathetic excuses for adults/parents who beat and batter and KILL these children aren't real???

Only if you don't give a damn about children being beaten and abused and killed.

Trying to equate people who agree with the shelter in place order to a child abuser is asinine...but what could one expect from the people of ats?

Indeed... what the hell can one expect from the people of ATS who make piss poor excuses for the abuse of children when all they freaking care about is themselves? Narcissists and sociopaths who don't care who gets hurt as long as THEY get to stay safe at home and protected...

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   

This makes me so sad and brings back so many memories.

If it were not for the fact that I went to stay with my granny every time we were out of school I might not be alive today. I cannot imagine how horrible it must be for abused children during this virus because they cannot even escape to their own grannies. Being forced to stay shut in with your abuser is certainly the most horrible kind of Hell imaginable! I pray this quarantine bullsnip ends soon!

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

This makes me so sad and brings back so many memories.

I am so very sorry for that -- for your trauma and for bringing it the surface. I wish I could fix it for everyone -- past, present and future.

If it were not for the fact that I went to stay with my granny every time we were out of school I might not be alive today. I cannot imagine how horrible it must be for abused children during this virus because they cannot even escape to their own grannies. Being forced to stay shut in with your abuser is certainly the most horrible kind of Hell imaginable! I pray this quarantine bullsnip ends soon!

Thank you for putting this into some perspective for others.

I hope and pray for the same.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   

So basically, you have reacted with your emotions and not your head and said that parents also being stuck at home has no place in the title.

You convince yourself you know what I meant even though your reply shows that you don't.

Thankyou for proving my point that many adults are children even when they get older.

I will leave you to your idealistic views that all messed up kids grow up miraculously healed to become perfect nurturing parents and should give their "ALL to protect".

And your sympathy and compassion is NOT reserved exclusively for the victims here because you just insulted someone with a huge amount of first hand experience of being the victim.

You know so little about what you have posted here and I hope you take a little more time and consideration in other responses.

Peace.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   

So basically, you have reacted with your emotions and not your head and said that parents also being stuck at home has no place in the title.

Nope -- didn't say that. I said the title was not misleading, in direct response to your comment that it was. I also stated that the title was not completely accurate in that it did not include deaths in the title.... should I assume by your logic that the title should have included both "parents" and "deaths"? Are you just as disturbed that the title didn't mention those parents KILLING their own children???

You convince yourself you know what I meant even though your reply shows that you don't.

Am I supposed to be reading your mind now as well? Because I can't. I can only respond to the words you use and the thoughts you convey with those words. And I can sure as hell judge those words on their merits -- or lack thereof.

Thankyou for proving my point that many adults are children even when they get older.

LOL! Okay.

I will leave you to your idealistic views that all messed up kids grow up miraculously healed to become perfect nurturing parents and should give their "ALL to protect".

Oh please. Of course I don't expect that. Exactly the opposite. We know that these patterns of behavior perpetuate themselves in families -- garbage in and garbage out.

And since you know that much, you are also very well aware of the danger to children from these former-abused-children-NOW-abusive-parents, who cannot and do not control their rage and violence, and YOU should be making the point that the lockdowns are putting their children in danger.

And your sympathy and compassion is NOT reserved exclusively for the victims here because you just insulted someone with a huge amount of first hand experience of being the victim.

I do not want to patronize you, but I am not sure how to take this in the greater context. And I am very concerned by the unspoken inference here. Since I am pretty sure you are not a child stuck in lock down with an abusive parent, I fear you are the parent unable to rise to the challenges at hand. If you need help, please -- PLEASE -- find that help. For your sake as much as anyone else's.

National Parent Helpline -- (1-855-427-2736)

You know so little about what you have posted here and I hope you take a little more time and consideration in other responses.

I know that children are in danger of being physically/emotionally/sexually abused and traumatized, and even killed due to these lockdowns. Other factors and nuances do not change that. Protecting these kids is the greater priority.

Peace.

To you as well.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Well, it sounded to me like you were inferring that the biggest thread to a child's safety is the parents.

We need the benevolent CPS to come in and inspect the home, to make sure that people aren't spanking their kids.

Because if one parent anywhere is a monster, then no family is wholesome or trustworthy, until approved by protective services.

[sarc] Let's start with those homeschool families; they must have something to hide.

Oops. You're all homeschool families. So let's give protective services a blanket search warrant for every house in the nation. Those kids would be so much better off in an orphanage.

You know, for the kids.[/sarc]

Just more class warfare. Social workers of the clerisy caste, picking on the lower classes who AREN'T dependent on the state. Do you really believe that the rich don't abuse their kids? Yet only the poor have their families ripped apart by CPS. It's because progressives are wealthier than conservatives at this point.
edit on 1-5-2020 by Graysen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Yup...and divorce lawyers are making a killing because couples stuck together at home realize they just can't stand each other and things blow up.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

Oh my dear lordy! I lost count of how many presumptions and projections you managed to fit into that screed!!!

I said what I meant and I meant what I said. If I wanted to say any of that crap, I would have.

That all came from your head and heart. Not mine.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jaellma

Yup...and divorce lawyers are making a killing because couples stuck together at home realize they just can't stand each other and things blow up.

Are lawyers "essential workers"? (I couldn't help but laugh as I typed that!)

But yes, excellent point. If not now, then soon!

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Jg513

That's not what the OP is about at all.

There are some very real side effects of people being stuck in their homes all the time that need to be considered as part of the price we're all paying. The economic side of things is one cost and a very, very high one, but there are human costs as well.

Isolation, depression, higher rates of abuse (domestic and child), higher rates of suicide as mental illness takes its toll, poor health as people eat and simply vegetate for lack of exercise, higher rates of actual illness as people stay away from the doctor and postpone medical care, etc.

All of this adds up over time.

posted on May, 1 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Nope -- didn't say that. I said the title was not misleading, in direct response to your comment that it was. I also stated that the title was not completely accurate in that it did not include deaths in the title.... should I assume by your logic that the title should have included both "parents" and "deaths"? Are you just as disturbed that the title didn't mention those parents KILLING their own children???

Am I supposed to be reading your mind now as well? Because I can't. I can only respond to the words you use and the thoughts you convey with those words. And I can sure as hell judge those words on their merits -- or lack thereof.

LOL! Okay.

Oh please. Of course I don't expect that. Exactly the opposite. We know that these patterns of behavior perpetuate themselves in families -- garbage in and garbage out.

And since you know that much, you are also very well aware of the danger to children from these former-abused-children-NOW-abusive-parents, who cannot and do not control their rage and violence, and YOU should be making the point that the lockdowns are putting their children in danger.

I do not want to patronize you, but I am not sure how to take this in the greater context. And I am very concerned by the unspoken inference here. Since I am pretty sure you are not a child stuck in lock down with an abusive parent, I fear you are the parent unable to rise to the challenges at hand. If you need help, please -- PLEASE -- find that help. For your sake as much as anyone else's.

National Parent Helpline -- (1-855-427-2736)

I know that children are in danger of being physically/emotionally/sexually abused and traumatized, and even killed due to these lockdowns. Other factors and nuances do not change that. Protecting these kids is the greater priority.

Peace.

To you as well.

Over many years I too have worked with similar data. It becomes sad as you recognize names as the children move thru the system. Those such as Boadicea and I who have lived these data clearly see correlations with external events. We do not see the causation however. People have commented on my predictive abilities but there is nothing predictive about it. Every time there is a breakdown in societal structures suicides will go up, drug use will go up, child abuse will do up, domestic violence will go up, anxiety and depression will go up. The list can continue. Can I say the breakdown in society is the cause? No, I was just a data guy who understood the data who could see a correlation in the big picture. This isn't emotional. There is no emotion in this picture just a recognition of the story data tells. I always say the data people are the story tellers. We know what is behind the numbers, we understand the numbers. If we let our emotions get involved we cannot do our jobs and would not last for very long. We merely see correlations which is a logical linking of two or more events. Fortunately, we do do not deal with causation that is for the field investigators to deal with.
edit on 1-5-2020 by Cmajlz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join