It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Simple...Sooooo Good!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Does anyone else just love grilled cheese sandwiches?

Ever since I was a little kid I've always loved grilled cheese sandwiches. I can remember Mom wanting to get rid of me so she could shop, so she'd dump me off at the cafe counter (they actually had those back in the day at the 'five & dime' stores!) and I'd get a grilled cheese, hot crinkle fries (deep fried in actual lard) and a vanilla soda.

I guess I never stopped being a little kid, because I still love a golden brown and melty grilled cheese sammich! Had a hankerin' for one today, so I decided to whip one up. Melted Colby and Monterey Jack cheeses on a couple slices of homemade bread. Oh man! So simple, but sooooo delicious!

One trick I learned a while back to get the perfect golden brown on a grilled cheese is to use mayo instead of butter on the outside (or a combo of both). Comes out perfect every time! (not sure, but I might have even learned this here on ATS!)

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Does anyone else just love grilled cheese sandwiches?

Ever since I was a little kid I've always loved grilled cheese sandwiches. I can remember Mom wanting to get rid of me so she could shop, so she'd dump me off at the cafe counter (they actually had those back in the day at the 'five & dime' stores!) and I'd get a grilled cheese, hot crinkle fries (deep fried in actual lard) and a vanilla soda.

I guess I never stopped being a little kid, because I still love a golden brown and melty grilled cheese sammich! Had a hankerin' for one today, so I decided to whip one up. Melted Colby and Monterey Jack cheeses on a couple slices of homemade bread. Oh man! So simple, but sooooo delicious!

One trick I learned a while back to get the perfect golden brown on a grilled cheese is to use mayo instead of butter on the outside (or a combo of both). Comes out perfect every time! (not sure, but I might have even learned this here on ATS!)

Just made one last night. Love me some good grilled cheese. Had some good white bread, white cheese (mozz, provolone, etc) and some bacon or ham. Cooked it up cast iron skillet with butter.

Side of good soup make 'em even better on a winter day.
edit on 17-4-2020 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I'm glad you said grilled cheese sandwiches, as a non american when they say 'grilled cheese' i immediately think 'who the hell grills cheese?'

add ham, slices of tomato and siracha sauce-you're welcome.

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I believe the reason is because mayo is made with vegetable oil.
Never used mayo myself as I always put a bit of olive oil on the outside ( and inside with a bit of basil and/or oregano, salt and pepper).
It also comes out crisp golden brown

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

a reply to: Thecakeisalie

a reply to: intergalactic fire

That's the great thing about grilled cheese sandwiches, there's a million different ways to make one...and they're all delicious!

With soup
Without soup
With meat (not really a grilled cheese then though)
Cheddar
Monetrey Jack
Colby
American
Swiss
Gruyere
Emantal
Smoked cheese
Gouda
Basil
Oregano
Cilantro
Sage
Tomato
Peppers
Sun dried tomato
Artichoke heart
Avacado
Mushroom (great big slice of Portabella)
Olive oil
Truffle oil

The potentials are endless!

Never tried one with Blue Cheese, but I bet you could do it!
edit on 4/17/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   
My magic ingredient for grilled cheese is fennel pollen. Try open faced with tomatoes and a sprinkle of fennel pollen. Simple and delicious.

It’s a great umami smack to the tongue
edit on 17-4-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
A touch more. Make the sandwich then soak the bread in whipped egg then fry in butter. Had one yesterday.

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Grilled cheese was a staple on a Dead lot. American cheese with a sprinklin of garlic salt. Also the mexican grilled cheese. Tortilla, cheddar and a little taco seasoning.
edit on 17-4-2020 by UncleReamus because: Wrong word used

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I really don't care to eat grilled cheese sandwiches without the tomato soup.
I make the tomato soup with half and half.
Then I really like them.

In the same vein, I don't like macaroni and cheese without putting either hot sauce or barbecue sauce on it..... but stewed tomatoes will suffice.
edit on b000000302020-04-17T14:52:42-05:0002America/ChicagoFri, 17 Apr 2020 14:52:42 -0500200000020 by butcherguy because: I totally forgot about stewed tomatoes.

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

My favorite grilled cheese is cheddar with mango chutney.

You're right; they are so good.

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
A touch more. Make the sandwich then soak the bread in whipped egg then fry in butter. Had one yesterday.

So French Toast grilled cheese?

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

a French toast (eggy bread) toastie !!! LOVE THEM !!!

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Answer: Yes.

I realize this is halved incorrectly, but it is what it is.

I'm not quite sure how others make their grilled cheese, but I use processed American Cheese food ("Kraft" singles) because of melting properties, and also usually add a a slice of Swiss. Recently, Ive also begun using the mixture of butter and olive oil mayo on the outside. I've heard things about sprinkling the outside with a little garlic powder, but haven't yet tried this. Props for homemade bread.

I could also swear you or someone else did a thread on grilled cheese before....

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I could also swear you or someone else did a thread on grilled cheese before....

It very well could have been...they're that good, it bears repeating...don't you think???

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Fillers.......
Pickles.
Salami.
Tuna salad.
Raw onions.
Hot pepper cheese.

Serve with ...........
Potato chips
Apple slices
Olives
Grape tomatoes
Radishes
Dill pickles

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

It very well could have been...they're that good, it bears repeating...don't you think???

Yes, it bears rep-eating them.

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Where are you from? American cheese in the UK is predominantly known as fake cheese. There's no animosity in that term because I am a firm believer that it's the superior choice for a burger.

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: HRH27

Where are you from? American cheese in the UK is predominantly known as fake cheese. There's no animosity in that term because I am a firm believer that it's the superior choice for a burger.

The US. And yes, that is exactly what "American" "cheese" is (and why the small print says cheese food/product, because it's not real cultured cheese). It's fake as hell, but makes for some damned good grilled cheese, as well as cheesy brats with peppers, onions, mushrooms, mustard, and horseradish sauce.

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Filler: pepperoni. Grilled pep and cheese (we've been over this in another thread, lol).

Of course, one can go down the road of using ham, or tuna, or turkey...

posted on Apr, 18 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Yeah!
Pepperoni would be awesome.

We had grilled cheese tonight.
Used organic cheese and pole caught tuna.
He had salami, with provolone.
I had tuna salad with hot pepper cheese.
Chipa, pickles, small side salad.

IIRC, we did a grilled cheese thread before.
Def. worth a revisit!!!!!
edit on Sat Apr 18 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join