It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump rollback of mileage standards guts climate change push

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Hence cutting regulations and I expect many many more job killing regulations you agree with will also go away soon.

Yeah. People want to have less efficient vehicles. You're right. They'll buy more of that kind.

Well, they ARE buying all these less efficient vehicles, aren't they!? Give me a good old solid full-sized car, with a solid full frame underneath it and with real METAL bumpers - the kind of vehicles that were MORE efficient at protecting me in a crash. I'm a tall guy, so I hated it when they legislated away the full-sized cars that I could fit in. Since legislation isn't doing anything to stop dangerous drivers these days, just give me back my big safe cars. I had a 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 60 that was a mile long. Loved that car. Who cares about gas mileage!? Burn up all the oil, then they'll be forced to make hydrogen-powered vehicles. That should make all the climate freaks happy.

And by the way - I was always partial to the 1964 Chevy Impala I used to have. I thought it had better lines than the 1963s.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Those windows by themselves fetch a premium, and yeah those are awesome vans. I'd love to have one. I think it's cheaper nowadays to buy a repop body and build it yourself.

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

Yep. They don't make 'em like that any more.

How much would that Fleetwood go for, you reckon?

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 11:42 PM
link   

I always thought the 63 looks a little more sporty with its softer, more subtle lines, just my opinion. Theyre both sexy cars

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I think we've hijacked this thread, and kind of got off topic. It's late. Peace... Drive safe!

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Yep. They don't make 'em like that any more.

How much would that Fleetwood go for, you reckon?

I looked it up, and considering mine had every option but one, it was pretty rare. And they only made 3500 of all of the versions. It'd probably fetch a mint these days. Here's a link to a picture of it:

1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 60

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oppositeoftruth
I think we've hijacked this thread, and kind of got off topic. It's late. Peace... Drive safe!

Well, we are talking cars still, at this point it's all in good fun, no one getting angry, it's "therapeutic" if you will.

On topic..I don't really think rolling it back is the right thing to do.

JM2C

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 11:51 PM
link   

I just might go for a Model S, instead. My nephew's wife drives one. Really, really awesome.

edit on 3/31/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
Hello ATS.

Well, it appears that while our attention has been focused on fighting and surviving the Covid 19 drama, the Trump Admin has been working to accomplish another one of its goals: Get rid of Obama-era vehicle mileage standards which were an attempt to curb climate change. Why would Trump do this and why now? Covid 19 is a RESPITORY disease and getting rid of vehicle mileage standards will lead to more CO2 in the atmosphere which will lead to MORE respiratory problems for people.

The Trump administration rolled back ambitious Obama-era vehicle mileage standards Tuesday, raising the ceiling on damaging fossil fuel emissions for years to come and gutting one of the United States’ biggest efforts against climate change. The Trump administration released a final rule Tuesday on mileage standards through 2026. The change — after two years of Trump threatening and fighting states and a faction of automakers that opposed the move — waters down a tough Obama mileage standard that would have encouraged automakers to ramp up production of electric vehicles and more fuel-efficient gas and diesel vehicles. “We are delivering on President Trump’s promise to correct the current fuel economy and greenhouse gas emissions standards,” Andrew Wheeler, head of the Environmental Protection Agency, said in a statement Tuesday marking the release. He said the final rule “puts in place a sensible” national program that “strikes the right regulatory balance that protects our environment, and sets reasonable targets for the auto industry. This rule supports our economy, and the safety of American families.” Opponents contend the change — gutting his predecessor’s legacy effort against climate-changing fossil fuel emissions — appears driven by Trump’s push to undo regulatory initiatives of former President Barack Obama and say even the administration has had difficulty pointing to the kind of specific, demonstrable benefits to drivers, public health and safety or the economy that normally accompany standards changes. The Trump administration says the looser mileage standards will allow consumers to keep buying the less fuel-efficient SUVs that U.S. drivers have favored for years. Opponents say it will kill several hundred more Americans a year through dirtier air, compared to the Obama standards. Even “given the catastrophe they’re in with the coronavirus, they’re pursuing a policy that’s going to hurt public health and kill people,” said Chet France, a former 39-year veteran of the EPA, where he served as a senior official over emissions and mileage standards. “This is first time that an administration has pursued a policy that will net negative benefit for society and reduce fuel savings,” France said.

I'm trying to see a silver lining here but I don't. Does anyone see this as a good idea? If so, then why....? I'd really like to know. So, what says ATS?

www.yahoo.com...

And you are acting like this rollback of nonsense regulation is a bad thing, GO TRUMP! CO2 doesn't cause respiratory disease..................or manmade global warming...err climate change. I forget which one it is, seems it changes more than the fake models.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oppositeoftruth
a reply to: vonclod

Those windows by themselves fetch a premium, and yeah those are awesome vans. I'd love to have one. I think it's cheaper nowadays to buy a repop body and build it yourself.

It's really amazing the amount of reproduction parts/coachwork are out there, you can build from the ground up.

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Agreed! Stop making ventilators and get back to work on emissions control!!! Derp

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

That's right. Oil is pretty cheap right now, isn't it?
We need to burn more of it. To get oil revenue up. Go Alaska!

You're on a tiny li'l island in the middle of the Pacific. You should walk. ;-)

Go Alaska!! Biggest state of 'em all!!

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This rollback is not a concern of mine. In fact, I welcome the deregulation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join