It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quarrantine from my perspective

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   
When the price of oil hit roughly $20 a bbl here in the US of A, most of my clients shut in their wellsites, effectively closing my business until it hits $40 again.

Me being me, I've been prepared for this since the last time it happened and personally the timing couldn't be better, what with the virus scare going on.

So Thursday, I came home and shut the gates.

Meaning I'm going to have no other human contact but my wife till June or July... she's here for the duration as well.

Some think that what I'm about to go through is terrible.

I've been looking forward to it for years.

My property is pretty self-contained... our electric is solar/hydro, we have our own water (two artisian springs) and our only real utility bill is a satellite internet service.

This morning I went to the river and caught 20 pounds of rainbow trout.. a few pounds of that will be eaten, the rest is sitting in brine so I can smoke it tomorrow.

I'm also taking about 20 pounds of elk out of the freezer and will spend the next week turning it into pastrami.

Now I am going to take a day going through my pride and joy... my seed collection from last year.

The cold greenhouse is about to be opened up for the year.

Cukes, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli and brussel sprouts are on the list.

In the root cellar, the last few apples were thrown onto the potato pile to start the potatoes sprouting.

The orchard needs pruned, our medicine garden weeded and perked up with fish emulsion (we use suckers), the last of my berries from 2019 need to get turned into wine and jellies.

So many things to do and spring is in the air.

I'm in a wonderful mood.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari
Very nice
Very well planned!

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Just got in from sailing on the Gulf.

Groceries, etc were delivered and put up while I was out.

Dinner being delivered. Having tanquerini while I wait.

I'm in a wonderful mood.

Not.

I've been delivering groceries and medicine this afternoon. Also, took fans to those without a/c-it's hot here.

Left sandwiches and water at the park for the regulars-they expect it.

Am very worried about my very elderly, ill parents. Ordered their food etc.

Going home to my 5 rescues and 2 fosters.

Wish life was better for so many.
edit on 21-3-2020 by Floridadreamin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
When the price of oil hit roughly $20 a bbl here in the US of A, most of my clients shut in their wellsites, effectively closing my business until it hits $40 again.

Me being me, I've been prepared for this since the last time it happened and personally the timing couldn't be better, what with the virus scare going on.

So Thursday, I came home and shut the gates.

Meaning I'm going to have no other human contact but my wife till June or July... she's here for the duration as well.

Some think that what I'm about to go through is terrible.

I've been looking forward to it for years.

My property is pretty self-contained... our electric is solar/hydro, we have our own water (two artisian springs) and our only real utility bill is a satellite internet service.

This morning I went to the river and caught 20 pounds of rainbow trout.. a few pounds of that will be eaten, the rest is sitting in brine so I can smoke it tomorrow.

I'm also taking about 20 pounds of elk out of the freezer and will spend the next week turning it into pastrami.

Now I am going to take a day going through my pride and joy... my seed collection from last year.

The cold greenhouse is about to be opened up for the year.

Cukes, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli and brussel sprouts are on the list.

In the root cellar, the last few apples were thrown onto the potato pile to start the potatoes sprouting.

The orchard needs pruned, our medicine garden weeded and perked up with fish emulsion (we use suckers), the last of my berries from 2019 need to get turned into wine and jellies.

So many things to do and spring is in the air.

I'm in a wonderful mood.

Lucky bastid...

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Congrats Lumenari!
Sounds like Heaven!

Enjoy the long break and time to regenerate

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
Very nice
Very well planned!

Well, I've been planning for this for years as my retirement.

I want to be as self-sufficient as possible when I'm older and pass on what I've been taught by my mother to my children.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starcrossd
Congrats Lumenari!
Sounds like Heaven!

Enjoy the long break and time to regenerate

To be honest, I'm probably going to be working harder on the property than I do at work.

But I've wanted a garden expansion for the last few years, I need to make my pond bigger, I'm thinking about trying out a 1/2 acre of wheat so I'm not dependent on a neighbor for flour...

So I'm stoked.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I have a jar of olives and an old hammer that is missing the handle.

Sounds like we're both of like-minds.

Let's team up!

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   
This way this reads : I sell oil, so money has never been a concern. I'm rich as hell and always have been.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I have a jar of olives and an old hammer that is missing the handle.

Sounds like we're both of like-minds.

Let's team up!

I'll need someone to shoot the butterflies this year... room and board and an internet connection is the deal.

Dinner is at 6pm.

edit on 21-3-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: mousse7714
This way this reads : I sell oil, so money has never been a concern. I'm rich as hell and always have been.

20 years ago I was homeless and didn't have a dime.

No rich family member kicking the bucket and giving me anything either...

I don't sell oil... I get rid of the nat gas that is a by-product of it.

Which I have worked my ass off for almost 2 decades to be in the position to do.

I'm not rich at all, in terms of money... what my company has in cash I'm going to burn to pay my employees to do nothing until the market gets better and we can go back to work, or I go broke.

Which won't matter to me either.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Sounds like you are having fun.

I put in another raised bed a week ago. Its 6' x 8' x 12" I planted about 40 sprouted Yukon gold, red potatoes, and russet potatoes, and Im slowly filling it with peat moss and other organic mediums.

I have a few year rounder Pimento peppers going for a few years now. They are super sweet, thick, medium sized bell peppers.

I have onions, red chard, white and red cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, lettuce, leeks, radish, and Brussel sprouts in the ground already.

Enjoy your time off with your wife sweetie!

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: mousse7714

She doesn't sell oil. Her wealth is in knowledge, creativity, elbow grease and self sufficiency

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Sounds like you are having fun.

I put in another raised bed a week ago. Its 6' x 8' x 12" I planted about 40 sprouted Yukon gold, red potatoes, and russet potatoes, and Im slowly filling it with peat moss and other organic mediums.

I have a few year rounder Pimento peppers going for a few years now. They are super sweet, thick, medium sized bell peppers.

I have onions, red chard, white and red cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, lettuce, leeks, radish, and Brussel sprouts in the ground already.

Enjoy your time off with your wife sweetie!

Thank you for bringing the point back to the thread!

I'm going to have to send you some potatoes that you will have fun with.

I have a Russian potato that has a red flesh... it's a smaller and really sweet variant.

I also have a Peruvian blue potato that I've grown for years.

They are really fun to use in a stew... you get red, white and blue potatoes.

I didn't start this thread to "flaunt my wealth"... I'm probably going to be bankrupt by the end of the year.

HOWEVER, I have spent a long time making sure that I don't need a lot of money to live well.

That's what I thought I was saying in the OP.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I know envy is supposed to be bad. However, I seriously envy you!

Good job setting your life up that way. I wish I was as smart.

BTW, speaking of people that live like you. What the hell happened to FCD? Anyone know?

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Lucky bastid...

The phrase you want perhaps is "fortunate".

Luck is what happens to those who do nothing.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   

HOWEVER, I have spent a long time making sure that I don't need a lot of money to live well.

It's called "nurturing" isn't it.

Not something easy for those who live by instant gratification.

Well done and good fortune. Keep those gates shut.

Currently enjoying gardening on my little 2 acre plot. Buying seeds and getting organised for my future.

Wish I could catch trout too but no streams or rivers on my land. Have a well though and going to check it out tommorrow.

Kinda loving it actually. Hope things get better for everyone.

Cheers.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

originally posted by: Edumakated
Lucky bastid...

The phrase you want perhaps is "fortunate".

Luck is what happens to those who do nothing.

My own family has laughed at me for years for making my own bread.

"You know you can just go buy that at the store, right?"

Well, they can't right now...

My sister was bitching about not being able to buy bread a few days ago and I sent her a link to "The Little Red Hen" story.

I don't think we're talking anymore right now...

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

It's called "nurturing" isn't it.

Not something easy for those who live by instant gratification.

Well done and good fortune. Keep those gates shut.

Currently enjoying gardening on my little 2 acre plot. Buying seeds and getting organised for my future.

Wish I could catch trout too but no streams or rivers on my land. Have a well though and going to check it out tommorrow.

Kinda loving it actually. Hope things get better for everyone.

Cheers.

Perfect post.

There is NOTHING wrong with being self-sufficient.

Perhaps this virus crisis thing will put that in people's minds so that they can start doing the same.

It's not exactly hard to do... in fact it was the norm not 200 years ago.

And ETA...

If you have not read it yet, Carleen Madigan wrote a book called "The Backyard Homestead".

It really helped us juggle some priorities on our property.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I love homemade bread, its the bomb. All we ate growing up was homemade bread. To me it was a treat.
We grew most of our food growing up. Canned everything. Picked so many berries I still have nightmares.

Have fun doing your thing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join