It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Lockdown Starting This Weekend

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
What if you don't have a printer surely just the download on yyour phone should suffice

Hard copies permitted only.

There are people offering to print and post copies for those who do not have a printer.

Expat community in action.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: markymint
"I heard", "I heard" ...

you know what I didn't hear?

Of anyone healthy dying from Covid.

That's the thing about statistics....they can be manipulated to show a result in favour of an agenda.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Capitalism at it's finest..

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TheDoctor46

East Lancashire here too, not seen anything yet but there are two TA barracks in Blackburn, if I see anything I'll be sure to share!

posted on Mar, 20 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: autom8

Not too sure. We spread common flu around with little thought or care. What makes that less selfish? Presumably it's just because we've accepted it as "the norm". Corona is "new" so it isn't the norm yet, but it will be.

Corona most affects - I'm honestly tempted to say "only" - those already at a high risk health level. It seems more appropriate to me to have them isolate and let the healthy portion of society build up an immunity.

Bill Whittle did a good segment on this (somewhat longer than the usual segments there) and I think I stand along his line of thinking:

What I do find a bit funny is the usual notion of "if you stay at home doing nothing you'll go mad" but all of a sudden it will have no repercussions at all. That staying at home for 4-9 weeks will be tolerable. Some folks are going to lose family and not through Coronavirus, but through suicide. Brush this off for now sure but we'll look at the figures in 9 weeks when millions of single young men have had to stay at home doing absolutely nothing but Xbox. Trust me when I say men, or maybe just people - need more than their Xbox to stay mentally healthy. Having faith that everyone can and/or will is naive, IMO.

Maybe it is stubborn, but should I let my mental health deteriorate to protect people who are in high risk health group? This is a question that in a week or two, people are going to be asking, consciously or subconsciously. There is not a single word on the matter at this point. Everyone will be fine, just staying at home - afterall - it's what they always wanted, right? The panic buying, the breakouts of looting, Tim Pool "released prisoners will surely respect the law" -- should give you an indication of where people will go "mentally" on this one if it goes on too long.

I don't feel guilty about protecting my mental health or that of others. Absolutely protect vulnerable people with measured response and I do agree that a "hard purge" is a good step. But as I say, expecting it to be adhered to for months and months on end and all the other "nasties" will soon outweigh the at-risk health group. And I say that as I feel quite confident that we're a developed nation with a pretty good grip on personal/general hygiene, and that our (UK) culture is noticeably dissimilar to Italy, Iran and China. But this is purely personal speculation and conjecture. I'm not one to really blindly follow advice, so I did some research, and found things to be perhaps a little disproportionate. Honestly, any selfishness on my part is going to be mass reproduced in a few weeks, isn't it, as more and more people go stir crazy. There are people way, way below your and my threshold for these sorts of things.

Social distancing may be needed for ‘most of year’

Presumably omitted: "This will drive a lot of people crazy and have a severe impact on mental health, but we won't address that until it has taken a toll of some form." Old and lonely? Well now you can be old and lonlier, or would you rather be old and dead? Young and lonely? We've just introduced measures to make sure you're even lonlier than before, with only the #ed up mind-speak of Twitter to help you through. Lonely and any age, and were looking to actively address that state of mind by taking up a club, hobby or going for a walk? Not for 9 months you aren't!

PS. "The great culling". Sit back and laugh, or sit back and cry?
Don't worry, I am doing my bit. You call it "self isolation" and "social distancing", I call it just another Friday

PPS. I also don't want my local economy to die. There are shops and pubs I like to use whose struggles are well known before this virus. They aren't tech savvy so the only way to support them is to show up there and buy. I just think there is a balance to be found that isn't yet, granted, we are in a "hard purge" for the next week or two. But what about say, minimize number of visits to the pub, that affects the virus rate positively if you visit once a week instead of 5 times. What about, 20,000 football spectators instead of 50,000 and all sit a seat apart? That allows football to continue and also tackles the virus rate.

The same for flights, god we all know they have a digital seating plan why don't they just book out a row per person or something rather than cut them all? Maybe they will in time. I just feel - knowing the volatility and fragility of some - that telling people they can't go outside or live a life is a dangerous game, if not now, it will be soon. The pendulum has swung very far in one direction, which is acceptable in the short-term, but in "9 months" it may not be. Even for a tolerant society like ours.
edit on 20-3-2020 by markymint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: StrangeQuark96

When the lock down comes you will not be driving anywhere.

posted on Mar, 21 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: autom8

Well your "4 sources" must have been your other personalities. LOL

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join