It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Native American disrespect

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Torturing and murdering is never for the betterment of humanity...

Leave colombus to the history books, not to a day of celebration..

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

That link didn't work. It doesn't bother me because im not native American. However, it's apparently got a dark history. Why have a team name that's related to a dark history?

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Native here, Chippewa/Choctaw hybrid.

I could not care less about PC crap. Doesn't affect me in the slightest whether a team is named Redskins or that there is a holiday celebrating Columbus.

I am, however, slightly annoyed at others taking offense on my behalf.
edit on 18-3-2020 by RandomPerson because: Edit to add stuff and things

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Torturing and murdering is never for the betterment of humanity...

Leave colombus to the history books, not to a day of celebration..

Then you might as well leave all of history there, right? All of the good with history comes with a side of bad, but if you don't learn it all ... well, wasn't there a fellow who said you're basically doomed to repeat it?

And who said Columbus Day is a day of celebration? That seems rather strong. Have you ever celebrated anything on Columbus Day? I haven't. My folks do, but it's simply a convenient way for them to mark an anniversary in their relationship.

Certainly, I consider days like St. Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo to be actual celebrations. I don't do anything on Columbus Day beyond note that this was the day we mark when Europeans officially came to the Americas.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

That link didn't work. It doesn't bother me because im not native American. However, it's apparently got a dark history. Why have a team name that's related to a dark history?

Why do you care when Native Americans don't? You made a thread, clearly you thought something was bothersome. Why do people feel the need to be offended for others, when those others are not offended?

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Why do you care when Native Americans don't? You made a thread, clearly you thought something was bothersome. Why do people feel the need to be offended for others, when those others are not offended?

Vikings have a pretty dark history too, and I don't see many people getting all upset about it and having a team named after them. Lots of folks take pride in their Viking heritage ... my neighbors do.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Buccaneers. Pirates. Pretty dark. Another one no one cares about. PC crowd just loves to look to be offended for other people.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Other people who preferably aren't at a melanin disadvantage. It is fairly obvious. White folks have privilege so nothing we do or have done to us is as bad as it was for anyone else.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Hmm.. well according to joe rogan's podcast some native Americans were offended. I can't tell you how much though. Im not offended. I thought it was interesting so i posted about it. Does someone have to be deeply offended to form an opinion on the topic?

edit on 18-3-2020 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Vikings are a group of people.. Redskins is slang for native Americans based on skin color. I mean, if most native Americans don't care then it's whatever. It's just a wierd name for a team.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Yea but we specifically called the day after Columbus. All of the good ? What good did columbus bring when he was decimating native populations, torturing, and making slaves. The Americas would gave been found sooner or later by Europeans.

So many better things could be given a holiday instead. Your other argument for learning all of history despute the darkness cannot apply to Columbus day.

Kids on Columbus day are taught the fake history of Columbus that is dumbed down into a fairy tale.

If anything, Columbus day does disfavor towards a true education of history by forcing light pg-rated narratives to kids.

I enjoy history as well, but i don't think we need reminders of terrible men or have their names honored across time. Lets leave them to the history books and leave the holidays to be positive things.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

You know, I was having this discussion with a friend whose daughter gets all offended on behalf of transkids even though she's not one.

One thing about coronavirus - Maybe this generation will learn the difference between a real crisis and emergency and made up issues that they thought and were told were crises. Too bad they're learning the hard way what sorts of things are really important and impactful.

doutful. Seems to me that the "woke" generation is not concerned and indeed even giddy about the "boomer remover"...

Also, still living it up on the beaches without a care in the world about spreading any deadly virus to some "boomer" who deserves to croak anyway.

Frankly, I'm disgusted with the woke generation.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join