It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need a new hashtag: #smollettized -Student arrested for sending threats to herself, others.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: SKEPTEK

a reply to: incoserv

But the fact that people are willing to blame whole sections of the community for the stupid actions of one or two people, shows that racism, sexism, and all sorts of other bigotry are very much alive and well.

You mean like the entire media using the Smollett hate hoax to blame whole sections of the community?

Within hours, there were thousands of posts online calling out Smollet as a fake, before there was any further evidence known by the general public. People had made up their minds before they had any evidence or facts. That is the very definition of prejudice. In fact, the whole vehemence of both sides of the argument seems over the top, to me, a foreigner.

It's like some right-wing propagandists got together to organize the fake attack, the publishing of the stories and the continuing online campaign.

Basically, if somone beats someone else up, in a world of billions of people where this and worse happens everywhere and every day, who gives a damn, really?

But look at all the finger-wagging and I told you so's and recognize a media campaign when you see one.

Why would it take more than hours when his story made no sense?

Because people do stupid stuff.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
surprisingly the black community was quiet......
lol
it is the gift that keeps on giving all year long

There were several high profile black Americans like Oprah Winfrey, Naomi Campbell, Grace Byers, Vivica Fox, John Legend, Terry Crews, 50 Cent, Ella Mai, Robin Thede, Candace Patton, Shonda Rhimes and Danielle Brooks who gave supportive messages about Smollett.

I suppose none of them commented on the right-wing media, though, so it didn't happen.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

But the fact that people are willing to blame whole sections of the community for the stupid actions of one or two people, shows that racism, sexism, and all sorts of other bigotry are very much alive and well.

You mean like the entire media using the Smollett hate hoax to blame whole sections of the community?

Within hours, there were thousands of posts online calling out Smollet as a fake, before there was any further evidence known by the general public. People had made up their minds before they had any evidence or facts. That is the very definition of prejudice. In fact, the whole vehemence of both sides of the argument seems over the top, to me, a foreigner.

It's like some right-wing propagandists got together to organize the fake attack, the publishing of the stories and the continuing online campaign.

Basically, if somone beats someone else up, in a world of billions of people where this and worse happens everywhere and every day, who gives a damn, really?

But look at all the finger-wagging and I told you so's and recognize a media campaign when you see one.

Why would it take more than hours when his story made no sense?

Because people do stupid stuff.

So he did something stupid and his story made no sense so it should take more than hours to understand that?

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut
Its from the Chappelle bit.....
I know its hard to follow....

Apparently refined humor does not exist in mordoria?

edit on 11/3/2020 by shooterbrody because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   
imo an excellent recap of the event and timeline

Justice for jucy

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Sorry, but your assertion about the reaction to Smollets story is purely anecdotal and has no objective facts, just your recollection. I *will* at least my reaction was "that's horrible! Wait, what? That ... that story doesn't make sense. At all."

I, and many other people thought his story and behavior were strange, and simply sounded like a badly-written fiction story. As the details came out, I definitely smelled something fishy about his story - it simply made no sense. Disbelieving an unbelievable story isn't racism - it's critical thinking.

You calling it racism because people thought the story sounded unbelievable is a complete non sequitur now, given that those who thought the story was fake were right - it *was* fake.

I don't even know what to say about the notion of how it could've been a right-wing propaganda operation - I mean, really?

And this isn't the first time some college student fabricated incidents like this - from the 1st page of a quick web search:

www.washingtonpost.com...
www.foxnews.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk...
abcnews.go.com...
www.thecollegefix.com...

Yeah, racism exists, along with many other ugly -isms.

But these incidents don't help, at all. Let's real racists say "see?" And when you defend fake stories, you don't negate their narrative, you feed it. They tell others "See how unreasonable these people are?"

Distortions of the Michael Brown shooting almost certainly led to many more deaths, and the assassinations of multiple police officers.

The only real question I have is why do people leap to defend these behaviors? Can't you just say those fakes aren't helping, and they deflect and obscure *real* racial issues, instead of trying to say a fabricated incident of fake racism was still racist somehow?

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Every one of those headlines say the claim was absurd.
No diffrent than the Smollet story.
edit on 12-3-2020 by Punisher75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 03:20 AM
link   
There is endemic racism toward the black community.
There is also a portion of the black community that uses that as an excuse for bad behavior.

BOTH SIDES need a lot of work if we are ever going to fix this issue. We need to confront those that disenfranchise people of color and call out those that hide behind racism as an excuse to commit crime.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Within hours, there were thousands of posts online calling out Smollet as a fake, before there was any further evidence known by the general public. People had made up their minds before they had any evidence or facts. That is the very definition of prejudice.

To that I can only say, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it is likely a duck. (I.e. the story was to full of holes to be believable)
edit on 12-3-2020 by looneylupinsrevenge because: Reasons

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   
oh
ok
absolutely nothing like what we are discussing with jussie
thanks for the attempted distraction

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   
What whole section of the community is being blamed? Do you not condemn the actions of smollet and others here copying his actions? They definately didn’t need to fabricate racism, but they do to benefit themselves at the cost of the community around them.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob808
What whole section of the community is being blamed?

Democratic voters, 'the left' and liberals. From the start it was implied that these people were implicated, as if this was 'what they all do'.

Do you not condemn the actions of smollet and others here copying his actions? They definately didn’t need to fabricate racism, but they do to benefit themselves at the cost of the community around them.

Yes, I condemn those who bear false witness. "You shall not bear false witness against others" is the 9th of the 10 Commandments in the Bible.

I also condemn those who, before there was any evidence to the contrary, loudly and frequently declared that Smollett was lying. It turned out that he was lying, but at that early stage, the commentators were also bearing false witness.

That is how bigotry works. People who declare statements before they know all the facts. They have pre-judged - it is prejudice.

Like declaring that the Honduran and Guatemalan people in the caravans were illegal US immigrants and criminals, before they have even gotten to the border (some of them might have become illegals, but at that stage, it was purely prejudice to say so). They were also repeatedly called Mexicans, which is another stereotyping that was untrue.

edit on 12/3/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   

oh
ok
absolutely nothing like what we are discussing with jussie
thanks for the attempted distraction

No, it was trying to highlight that there are those who try and create smear campaigns against others and then use the fallout for propaganda purposes. In Warren's case, it was revealed to be a false smear campaign.

But look at the volume of commentary Smollett's deception has generated. This is clearly a propaganda campaign.

Smollett's lies are a matter that should be dealt with by the police whose time and work has been wasted, and apart from that, they have no actual impact upon the lives of the commentators. Yet here the commentators all are, raging about it, like they have been wounded.

That is how propaganda works.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: looneylupinsrevenge

Within hours, there were thousands of posts online calling out Smollet as a fake, before there was any further evidence known by the general public. People had made up their minds before they had any evidence or facts. That is the very definition of prejudice.

To that I can only say, if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it is likely a duck. (I.e. the story was to full of holes to be believable)

A talking duck?

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   

No, it was trying to highlight that there are those who try and create smear campaigns against others and then use the fallout for propaganda purposes.

like jussie?

But look at the volume of commentary Smollett's deception has generated.

perhaps he should not have fanned the flame of race hate?

This is clearly a propaganda campaign.

yes it was
16 charges just dropped?

Smollett's lies are a matter that should be dealt with by the police whose time and work has been wasted

and it was
and he was charged, 16 times
then....it was dropped

they have no actual impact upon the lives of the commentators

you dont know that
everyone here deserves equal justice

Yet here the commentators all are, raging about it, like they have been wounded

when justice is determined by who you know, everyone has been wounded

sorry you dont understand that

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   

No, it was trying to highlight that there are those who try and create smear campaigns against others and then use the fallout for propaganda purposes.

like jussie?

Yes. And also, right-wing commentators are using it too, to attack their opponents, by implying that everyone who is against bigotry, is somehow in agreement with Smollett's deception. Remember this didn't just have racial implications, the fraud also encompassed homophobic and political ("this is MAGA country") bigotry, and has now been used as a type of justification for the supposed legitimacy of those views by right-wing aligned commentators. I am sure you are sensitive to that, too.

But look at the volume of commentary Smollett's deception has generated.
perhaps he should not have fanned the flame of race hate?

Aren't the reactionary commentators fanning the flames too?

This is clearly a propaganda campaign.
yes it was
16 charges just dropped?

Weren't charges brought against Trump dropped, too?

Perhaps that's just what happens in courts of law?

Smollett's lies are a matter that should be dealt with by the police whose time and work has been wasted
and it was
and he was charged, 16 times
then....it was dropped

they have no actual impact upon the lives of the commentators
you dont know that
everyone here deserves equal justice

Yes, but do they get it, there?

Surely the equal justice that your citizens have a right to, is in a court of law (like where the charges were dropped).

... and social media is not a venue for the application of 'justice'.

Yet here the commentators all are, raging about it like they have been wounded
when justice is determined by who you know, everyone has been wounded

sorry you don't understand that

If culpability is determined by social hierarchy, or by volume of opinion, it isn't justice.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Watching you defend someone who attempted to frame someone of a certain race and political belief, simply for those is disgusting, but not unexpected.
It appears you are incapable of understanding the effect of jussies vile actions; and his patently unfair treatment by a clearly biggoted DA. The fact that you bring Trump into this to distract from your clear misunderstanding of the entire event, and the comedy inspiration from such is also unsurprising.
It is only surpassed by your obtuse view of our legal system.
Perhsps with research that will change, tho i doubt it.
Thank god for the new authorities in charge of the case.
Justice for jucy!

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Watching you defend someone who attempted to frame someone of a certain race and political belief, simply for those is disgusting, but not unexpected.
It appears you are incapable of understanding the effect of jussies vile actions; and his patently unfair treatment by a clearly biggoted DA. The fact that you bring Trump into this to distract from your clear misunderstanding of the entire event, and the comedy inspiration from such is also unsurprising.
It is only surpassed by your obtuse view of our legal system.
Perhsps with research that will change, tho i doubt it.
Thank god for the new authorities in charge of the case.
Justice for jucy!

You misunderstand. I wasn't defending Smollett.

I was talking about the motivation for many of those who commented.

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   
To claim that ‘prejudice’ was the reason he was not believed

Is stupid

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join