It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An honest chit chat about the virus from a hospital director

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 05:27 PM
link   
First a caveat.

I have to keep this general. Non specific. I am not a spokesman for any medical system nor will I specify as such. It'd get me in oodles of trouble.

But I will answer as honestly and as sincerely as I can.

I'm in the PNW. (Pacific North West)

Right now we have 3 cases in Oregon.

The signs and symptoms of the virus is a dry cough, a fever, and no drippy nose.

It can incubate for as long as two weeks without showing signs and symptoms.

It can last for 9 days on some surfaces.

It's here, it's clear. Get used to it.

It is the current "hope" that the virus will attenuate over time and this will be nothing more than another irritating bug come flu season.

But right now it is novel.

The standard rule of thumb in experiencing this bug is a TB rule. A three foot distance from the infected.

Avoid hugging, hand shakes, kissing on the cheek in public gatherings.

Skype instead of face-to-face meetings are going to become the norm for the short-term.

It's serious, but not "end-of-the-world-oh-my-god-we're-all-going-to-die" serious.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I live in Redding Ca, and my niece is a nurse and we have a couple of cases here. They are currently testing, but she said there is little doubt about it.

In the last 2 months my grandkids have caught hoof and mouth and 2 different flus from school. They live with me and its been a rough 2 months. Obviously the school system is a breeding ground for illness. I am wondering, when should I decide to keep them home? Their father has serious health issues, and I am very concerned about living through another illness right now.
edit on 5-3-2020 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2020 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I would concur with that assessment. My other half is a Microbiologist in a hospital lab. This week they got a briefing from the CDC and new lab protocols in CoVid-19. The official word is that the cases are increasing, but not as quickly as the flu, and the demographics so far are the 70+ age group and those that are immuno-compromised. Outside of those demographics, it can be contracted but has a more mild affect on those that get it, amounting to a bad cold.

However, that is not to say it is a "nothing burger" at all. It is still a serious matter but can be managed by common sense sanitation protocols (washing hands with soap and water, avoid touching face and mouth, etc...). The situation has risen to "guarded" due to the pockets of outbreaks at various locations. Time will tell as this little bugger spreads and mutates along the way.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

That's a personal decision right now.

The only thing I will say is that if you wait until a school board or health department makes that decision, it'll be too late.

They'll be behind the curve, so to speak. Historically speaking, too many wait to make that decision until it's too late.

They base it on cost and budgeting instead of living-breathing issues.

Speaking as frankly as I can.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
Using my vivid imagination I have a terrible vision about the virus.

It'll alter human DNA and reshape next generation. This is how they'll accomplish their dream of a super race.

Defective/inefficient people will be eliminated and procreation will become selective as a consequence.

How cool is that😈👻💣

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

You're not half wrong, but what this virus does is not change your DNA but the virus changes it's own RNA to suit the host (you).

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   

It's serious, but not "end-of-the-world-oh-my-god-we're-all-going-to-die" serious.

What is your opinion regarding people getting reinfected and it being worst the second time around?

Do you think we will see massive shutdowns like in China?

Is it worst than the flu?

ETA - Ohh... and do you think it is airborne?

edit on 5-3-2020 by LookingAtMars because: ?

edit on 5-3-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

We've received the same briefings from the CDC.

They are taking it seriously.

To the point where ED staff is instructed to triage while patients remain in their vehicles.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

What is your opinion regarding people getting reinfected and it being worst the second time around?

From initial talks, it acts a lot like TB where the virus would "wall" itself off to protect itself from the body's immune system so it can reinfect again.

Do you think we will see massive shutdowns like in China.

I hope not. We've learned from China's mistakes. So we're a little more prepared.

Is it worst than the flu?

Depends. Some (like the flu) can suffer through it like it's nothing and bounce back in a few days. Others, based on previous conditions, might take longer or even turn it fatal.
edit on 5-3-2020 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   
My biggest fear...is the irrational fear generated by the social media generation. Its like a billion watt amplifier for ANYTHING that comes along now. ESPECIALLY when one use CAPITAL letters in their headlines. Lookin at you FOX.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

If it bleeds, it leads.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Have you heard or any news about the in the UK announced instant (or at least) fast tests being implemented soon?

As now the amount of people tested and especially the cases that are tested seem to skew the numbers quite a bit. And as we all can notice that causes to much uncertainty with a lot of people.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   

From initial talks, it acts a lot like TB where the virus would "wall" itself off to protect itself from the body's immune system so it can reinfect again.

Is this different from the Chicken Pox virus that, as I understand it "hides" from the immune system.

It sounds like you don't think it is airborne (aerosol), since you are comparing the transfer to TB.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:21 PM
link   
For real. Peeps iz sheeps.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Do you know any more details of the 9 day life of the virus on surfaces?
I work for the post office and we are still delivering a ton of packages/parcels that originated in China.
They have not said anything to us at all.

edit on 5-3-2020 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dumbass

Have you heard or any news about the in the UK announced instant (or at least) fast tests being implemented soon?

As now the amount of people tested and especially the cases that are tested seem to skew the numbers quite a bit. And as we all can notice that causes to much uncertainty with a lot of people.

The last I've heard, honestly, is that it takes 7 days to get test results.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Is this different from the Chicken Pox virus that, as I understand it "hides" from the immune system.

It sounds like you don't think it is airborne (aerosol), since you are comparing the transfer to TB.

It is airborne. Face shields are actually a preferred "mask" over traditional masks.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Krakatoa

We've received the same briefings from the CDC.

They are taking it seriously.

To the point where ED staff is instructed to triage while patients remain in their vehicles.

Many thanks for the info I have a daughter teaching special needs kids in central Washington state, and we got 2 cases from people back from Italy.

Pretty amazing they are talking about triage in cars, guess it makes sense expose as few people as possible.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Do you know any more details of the 9 day life of the virus on surfaces?
I work for the post office and we are still delivering a ton of packages/parcels that originated in China.
They have not said anything to us at all.

It depends upon the surface material.

I would think that post offices would be safer because the packaging is more porous, but I have no definitive word.

I might suggest (again TB) looking at TB transfer using similar products.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   

It is airborne. Face shields are actually a preferred "mask" over traditional masks.

Wouldn't your only protection be a pressure suite?

If it is truly airborne, as an aerosol.

edit on 5-3-2020 by LookingAtMars because: .?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join