It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who in their right mind wants to go on a cruise?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
For years and year I watched as coworkers went on cruises. I never understood it.

We recently heard about the cruise ship in Japan and how terrible the spread of Coronavirus was.
Previous to this it was the Norovirus. I just don't get it. Who wants to be crammed on a ship and almost guarantee yourself an illness?
Is it that people feel "safer" on a cruse?

Now this:

www.cnn.com...

The ship is now near the California coast, but must remain at sea as it awaits coronavirus test kits to be delivered by helicopter.

YES another ship with another huge group of coronavirus potentially infected people!

NO THANK YOU!

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I wouldn't have done a cruise even before the whole virus thing. You hear nothing but horror stories.
And my luck, my wife would push me overboard.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Who would decide to take a job on a cruise ship right now?

My second wife, that's who.

Stupid, imo.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Stupid, imo.

NO Way!

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: butcherguy

Stupid, imo.

NO Way!

Yes.
I don't really talk to her, my kids told me about it. I asked them what she was going to be doing, they didn't know. But she will be gone for weeks at a time.
Even without covid 19, there' always norovirus and whatever other bug that people drag onto the ship with them.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Not only viruses but I can recall multiple cases of mass food poisoning. I live near the Port of L.A. and it seems like there's at least one story a year.
edit on 3 5 2020 by underpass61 because: sp

edit on 3 5 2020 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I have a feeling those cruises are going to take a massive hit.
Pretty much any type of mass gathering of people is going to take a hit.

sports,
amusement parks,
cruises
museums
zoos

many of them have been gouging for years. It will be interesting to see how long this lasts.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Im with you...I dont like 90% of people, and 90% dont like me...
Why would I want to be locked in a tuna can for a week sharing air?

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'm immune to diseases so I wouldn't worry about that.

Y'all sound sorta spoiled because I lived on the street for a few years and slept outside starving in the cold. A cruise sounds incredible in comparison. All that food and the great views of the ocean sunset and sunrise.

I'm honestly blown away that y'all are so high class that even a cruise on an amazing modern ship is yucky.

We live in totally different paradigms.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I am not interested in being stuffed in a Sardine can along with a lot of other people.

It would be interesting to go tour one someday and check one out, but I would never want to take a cruise. I would love to see the kitchen and the engine rooms.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
I'm immune to diseases so I wouldn't worry about that.

Y'all sound sorta spoiled because I lived on the street for a few years and slept outside starving in the cold. A cruise sounds incredible in comparison. All that food and the great views of the ocean sunset and sunrise.

I'm honestly blown away that y'all are so high class that even a cruise on an amazing modern ship is yucky.

We live in totally different paradigms.

You ain't kidding!

I haven't lived on the streets but like I said in another thread, I think it would be nicer to be quarantined on a luxury cruise ship with my family than being locked in the house with them for a few weeks.

*Edit* Would I sign up for a cruise anytime soon...of course not but if I had already paid and couldn't get a refund, I'm am all aboard mofo!
edit on 5-3-2020 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Back in the day if there was a cruise leaving on Friday or Saturday, my friends and I would go down and go aboard for drinks and to look around. We would kick back and relax until departure time then go ashore. Then 9/11 happened and security put a quick end to it.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Got to say, cruises have always appealed to me.
Would never go for the bargain option, first class all the way.
Good food, good drink.

Not that arsed about other people, few books to read, laptop etc I'd be fine.

Always had a thing about the sea, love going on mates boats etc.
And when on holiday abroad I spend lots of time alone sat on the breakwater with a book and looking out to sea.

And the places they go.....amazing.
Me and a mate have often talked about doing a South Atlantic cruise and/or an Arctic and Norwegian fjords one.

I think we'll be giving them a miss for a while though.....they've sort of lost their immediate appeal.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Never had any desire to go on one at any time in my life. Two aspects of a cruise strike me as a personal level of Hell.
1. People... I'm Agoraphobic. I don't fear crowded situations, I loathe them. Start to feel like a caged animal and for me that's a situation that could turn very ugly very quickly. (This is also the primary reason that I rarely fly... planes and flying do not bother me, but since 9/11 flying often involves queueing in a crowd to be groped by a stranger... not something that's very wise to subject me to. The few times I've had to deal with it involved me fighting the urge to just start throwing hands.)
2. You cannot fish off of a cruise ship... It would be pure torture for me to be on water without fishing. I don't do water, be it ocean, lakes, rivers, creeks, ponds, whatever without a fishing rod or at least trot lines somewhere in the equation.

What we can gather from this is that I am an antisocial outdoorsman, which is a fair assessment.
edit on 5-3-2020 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
My next door neighbor leaves this weekend for a cruse. Personally I think he’s nuts. Flying and The possibility of being trapped on a ship isn’t my idea of fun right now.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
For years and year I watched as coworkers went on cruises. I never understood it.

We recently heard about the cruise ship in Japan and how terrible the spread of Coronavirus was.
Previous to this it was the Norovirus. I just don't get it. Who wants to be crammed on a ship and almost guarantee yourself an illness?
Is it that people feel "safer" on a cruse?

Now this:

www.cnn.com...

The ship is now near the California coast, but must remain at sea as it awaits coronavirus test kits to be delivered by helicopter.

YES another ship with another huge group of coronavirus potentially infected people!

NO THANK YOU!

I've only been on one cruise and to be honest, it was quite nice. My wife won a 10 day cruise around the Caribbean through employer. The company essentially bought out most of the ship, so the ship wasn't too crowded. Maybe 60% full from my best guess. Left from Miami and went to Jamaica, St. Thomas, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, and Dominican Republic.

I thought it would be all retired blue hairs from the midwest playing bingo, but it pretty high class. The food was excellent. I must have gained 10lbs. I'm talking Prime Rib at midnight. The sloth and gluttony was glorious. The accomodations were nice and the views and islands we visited were beautiful too.

If I did a cruise again it would be a Disney Cruise simply because of the young kids. However, without kids, I want to take a cruise on a small ship oriented around food. They have some nice ships (maybe 500 people or less) that are more my speed / luxury.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   
2 coworkers going on a cruise in 3 weeks. I keep telling them to forget it. They are still leaning towards going.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Just to dispel unfounded fears. I work for a cruise line, I don't think it's appropriate for me to say the name, but we have the largest passenger ships in history. I don't work on the ships either, but I sail on them a lot. At least our cruise line I can tell you is meticulous about cleanliness. They wipe the ships down every night completely. During the day you will always see people cleaning. What I found funny was that they even clean the elevator buttons one by one. Every door, banister, carpet, door knobs, railings, everything gets cleaned. Some of these ships are so large and have so many large common areas; that you usually don't have to get too close to people. If you go into one of the large events, there will probably be a lot of people and you'll have no alternative but to get close.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

You really believe that you are immune to all diseases?

BS!

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

It's the idea of being jammed in with all those other people I don't know and don't want to know.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join