It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do healthcare workers feel about Coronavirus?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: JAGStorm

I had another Corona sample to transport today and was in and around several hospitals in the course of the day , the only thing that bothers me about Coronavirus is if I catch so much as a cold I will have to self isolate and have no income for two weeks.

I don't think this virus lives up to the hype it's being given but it is a reminder that we are just one virus away global meltdown.

That would suck if you had to be off of work and couldn't do anything. Would that qualify you to use your sick leave?

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Me and my wife, both HC workers, find it way overhyped.

Why?

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Freak out? That is not normally a case, in work you see limbs torn and blood all over or you care old unhealed wounds scraping with curette and wound might smell awful only because there is not enough blood circulation and flesh is rotten in the leg and the bone is wide open and patient want to save the leg even its not going to work ( self-determination law) etc etc and these patiens might have MRSA, ESBL etc.

I could see stress that could cause freaking out in long time emergency if there is no time to rest or have enough recess.

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: JAGStorm
One thing is for sure with this virus, it seems to be a lot more contagious.

I've seen this claim in numerous places, and I've yet to see anyone back it up. Every time I've seen health officials talking about the transmission of the disease, whether it's US officials or those in other countries, they say it's spread by droplets from sneezing or coughing, just like other viruses of this type, just like the flu is spread. It's not airborne, which would make it way more infectious. I've seen no data that suggestions it's highly or unusually infectious.

Does anyone have anything on this? Serious question.

One word... Ingestion

That could be how it spread so fast in Iran and maybe the church in S. Korea and the cruise ship.

www.jpost.com...
edit on 3-3-2020 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Think of how women used to have to carry smelling salts around because something triggered their immune system to go wild, then their BP dove and they lose blood flow to the head temporarily.

You're confusing female immune systems with the fashion trends of the time. Restrictive corsets hindered blood flow and breathing making fainting quite common. Thankfully fashion trends have changed, so smelling salts are no longer the required fashion 'accessory' that they used to be.
edit on 3/4/20 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Oathkeeper73

I give eye exams for a living, but am also a surgical technologist.....I will have my first grandchild coming in APril….so...MY thoughts are no longer on my doctor and the patients...but MY family's health and wellbeing. Had I opted to work the high stress ER and critical care jobs,,,,,then maybe I would feel more "obligated" ? My husband's BSN cousin has a 2 year old at home and she is considering not going to work until this passes......

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 07:01 AM
link   

That would suck if you had to be off of work and couldn't do anything. Would that qualify you to use your sick leave?

Funny you mention that, I've been reading tidbits that insurance does not want to pay out for Coronavirus in certain instances like travel insurance, and maybe even some other insurances. It it all dependent on how things are worded.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

A hospital in Portland has already sent home 15 staff members for self-isolation for 2 weeks because they've been in contact with an infected patient.

Staffing is going to be an issue if this continues.

Yes, this will be a bigger problem.
I bugged out of Albuquerque and moved way North to work Locum Tenens in a small town hospital that already has a shortage due to being remote and small.
Many people here are beginning to take it seriously.
Be safe and well my friend.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   
My SO is a RN in the OR for a childrens hospital. They are taking precautions as most hospitals are. No surgeons/doctors/nurses are worried about a mass "outbreak that kills the world", rather they are more worried about supply chain issues that are being seen right now. With the public freaking out about this and as such panic shopping, supply chains are difficult to maintain fulfilled and in turn is affecting the hospitals.

It's not at a point where "we" the public should be concerned. Sure be cautious, but that means washing your #ing hands, dont touch your face. We aren't entering the walking dead.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I'm a self employed contractor so I don't get sick pay,there are many in my position but we've had no word from government about what happens if we can't work because of Corona.

Given where I'm working at the moment I'm in the front line to contract it if it spreads wider than it currently is.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Here is my logic for what it's worth.
If the incubation period is two weeks or more before the onset of symptoms and it is contagious during the incubation period there should be many many more cases growing exponentially.
If we don't see a blooming of cases in the next few weeks I'd say transmission rates are not high either.
Time...

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Violater1

originally posted by: DBCowboy

A hospital in Portland has already sent home 15 staff members for self-isolation for 2 weeks because they've been in contact with an infected patient.

Staffing is going to be an issue if this continues.

Yes, this will be a bigger problem.
I bugged out of Albuquerque and moved way North to work Locum Tenens in a small town hospital that already has a shortage due to being remote and small.
Many people here are beginning to take it seriously.
Be safe and well my friend.

You as well.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

originally posted by: rickymouse
Think of how women used to have to carry smelling salts around because something triggered their immune system to go wild, then their BP dove and they lose blood flow to the head temporarily.

You're confusing female immune systems with the fashion trends of the time. Restrictive corsets hindered blood flow and breathing making fainting quite common. Thankfully fashion trends have changed, so smelling salts are no longer the required fashion 'accessory' that they used to be.

I went really far more into it than just corsets and fashion. Those were determining factors, but so was excessive nitrites and nitrates. That is the reason they regulate nitrites and nitrates in foods. Sure, some of the problems had to do with corsets, but health officials were not going to touch that and tell women they can't wear them....they would have lost so many patients that they would not have had a practice if they attacked some of the stuff that woman did. That is why doctors today are cautious about telling a woman that make up is bad, the woman would just go to a different doctor.

Women are more apt to be bias to anyone that does not believe like them then men are. Been living long enough to know that it is better not to say anything a woman does not want to hear. I have been Married for thirty eight years, it wouldn't have lasted a year if I tried to criticize stupid socially accepted and promoted things she was doing.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
I'm a self employed contractor so I don't get sick pay,there are many in my position but we've had no word from government about what happens if we can't work because of Corona.

Given where I'm working at the moment I'm in the front line to contract it if it spreads wider than it currently is.

I know the feeling, I am a builder, When I got sick, I had no sick leave. Thankfully I learned ways to avoid getting sick, like avoiding the long term meds every doctor wanted to put me on because of my tachychardia.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join