It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When to go into "shelter in place"?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying

Probably when it gets closer to home. Manhattan is a long way from me here in central NY. Once political rallies start to cancel, then we'll know it's more serious then what we're being told.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   

maybe for Ebola, Im not going to react to a cold

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
My Niece just had a baby a little while ago. The baby's doctor sent a letter to her informing her not to worry about the Coronavirus, worry about the Flu. Unless you have underlying health issues the Coronavirus is not that much of a threat.

Are you suggesting the flu is more of a threat?

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chance321

Probably when it gets closer to home. Manhattan is a long way from me here in central NY. Once political rallies start to cancel, then we'll know it's more serious then what we're being told.

First it was a long way away when it was in Wuhan
Then it was a long way away when it was in the rest of China
Then it was a long way away when it was in California and Washington
Now it is a long way away in Manhattan

Creeping closer! Not as far away as it once was.

If you don't mind me asking, what part of NYS? I am near Corning.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   
There are a few local bars by my place that I think could be safe. I might shelter in place at the Winchester Tavern.

“Let's go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for this all to blow over." Take car. Go to mum's. Kill Phil, grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over.”

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

King County is giving a news conference in an hour or so. From what I heard on new site that's reporting 'live' updates? King County is talking about implementing quarantines, shut downs etc. I'm not sure, but we'll find out soon.

Here in Western Wa? I don't know what to think. I'm 'kind of' prepared if things get rough but not as well as I'd like to be. It will be interesting to see the effects of the press release on local stores/etc - and me for that matter.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I live in basically Downtown Bklyn. It was bound to eventually get here. When I see people falling out on the subway I will let y’all know. But until they close the subway system.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   
If people start dropping dead or getting sicker than I think they're going to in my area, then I'll take it seriously and shelter in place. There was already a confirmed case in a city near me.
So far, everyone seems OK. I've been treating it as nothing but another flu season but I'd probably take it much more seriously if things got bad nearby.

It's easy to not fear something thousands of miles away from you.

I don't want a head cold or a common flu, either, so I'm always cautious with my hand washing and other sanitary habits.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
i'm (we @ Roadhouse Rudy) are prepared to be in self Quarantine, immediately

all that is required for a 4 week -8 week isolation is in place... w
outside contact is limited by all 6 individuals which make up our core group, I myself tend to remain in solitude in my 250 sq ft of the premesis… the others' mingle among themselves until they ask for input from my years of learned experience

now, I do have a Legal Workshop to attend at 17th April, but that engagement might just get delayed for countless reasons, corona or whatever

the electric cart is at the ready for any last minute supply runs within a 6 mile radius of sales points that are stocked--- IF that extreme scenario is Needed... other neighbors and us are 'grapevined' to share those strategic bits of insider info & contacts...

when TSHTF we will not intentionally be downwind, but either on the sideline or the frontier
be safe yall

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
There are a few local bars by my place that I think could be safe. I might shelter in place at the Winchester Tavern.

“Let's go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for this all to blow over." Take car. Go to mum's. Kill Phil, grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over.”
Kinda reminds me of that English zombie movie...what was that? Great flick, they hunkered down in a pub...

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The worst part of a pandemic lasts only about a month, before and after that, you can get supplies at the stores. just kind of keep away from close contact with people. When you get home remember that viruses can live on those food packages you picked up for four or more days, some that are perishable need to be put away, others can sit for a while and the viruses will die. Wash your hands so you do not keep spreading microbes around.

I am not going to go into seclusion, I am just going to be a little more precautious.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: XCrycek
Do you have a job? I have bills to pay so I can't afford yo hide inside a bunker.

Most of us have bills to pay. Most of us are moderately healthy and have little to fear other than fear it’s self. Both Bush and and Obama have programed us to be afraid, be very afraid. Well, I’m not afraid. Say it, I’m not afraid. Scream it, I’m not afraid!!!!!

I think you just won the conflict. I will not be afraid is the order of the the day. We are good people, we will not be afraid.Afraid of something we can’t see, hear, smell, or taste. To the average guy, it’s no more than a cold.

Who here wouldn’t risk a cold to kiss a hot girl/guy? Be honest? I would and I bet you would too. This BS has no power over us, because we do not fear it.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Don't worry too much about the virus , you're going to get it anyway we all are.

Spanish flu dragged on for 2 years , this will be quicker to hit , hopefully quicker to leave.

At the moment shops are stocked , here that is. But the moment Corona becomes widespread , eg Singapore , Hong Kong Macau Italy etc shops will get stripped. Eventually , resupplies won't turn up.
But in the meantime you / we don't need to line up or take the elevated risk of shopping, or go home empty handed or get loads of useless articles in a panic spend like do many others will once lockdowns loom up.
After all it's not the virus in particular which forms the reason you stock up ( but get antivirals) , it s the resultant economic collapse . Necessary exports and imports are liable to stop happening worldwide halting all economic security .
Milk.is something your body will miss , a shetload of powdered milk then

edit on 2-3-2020 by DoctorBluechip because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-3-2020 by DoctorBluechip because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I am fully stocked for at least a year on food. Six months on water. And this amount of supplies is for two. I could possible stretch that out. I have been buying seeds and mulch and grow for the last two years. I have many solar panels and never throw away a water bottle. I refill and store away at room temp.
I have also stock piled painter plastic and wood. And 200yds of barbed wire. Now have two drones.
I am not too worried and this virus though I live right outside Vegas just up the street from another member on here.
So if crap really was about to go down I am sure I can get him to meet up along with a few other mates and figure out what option would be best.
Go to the bug out cabin or fortify one of our homes.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   

I have about two months (three if stretched) supplies and still jotting things down to add while stores are still stocked...

My daughter just finished her degree and moved back home from college - thank God!!

But if she were still in school (esp. public), I would be right with you, as far as pulling out as soon as it starts to hit...
...I think you are smart 'not' to wait until they actually start closing schools - by that time, it could be too late.

p.s. I've sent you a PM

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Just outside Rome NY. And yes, I know what you mean about it getting closer and closer.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrRCflying

originally posted by: Gothmog
Got a fully stocked , fully ready , bug out location .
Self sustaining and rated at 96% for at least 5 years.

5 Years!!! Amazing! I was thinking I was doing good by being ready for 6 months! Hats off dude!

I bought a mobile home on 5 acres of land really really cheap. A couple that the wife was kin to my wife had used it to stay at when they were in Georgia for their business. I got very lucky.

Long story short , I had a friend at work that was big into the WWZ and the "How to survive the Zombie Apocalypse" stuff. Not the movie , the actual books and website (the movie was taken from the books and website).
He was always asking me what I was doing to prepare. One day I just said "Why the hell not ?"
8 year project as I just considered it a hobby .
Now , it is approaching time to replace the solar panels , and I am most likely going to sell. My plan is to retire this year and I do not need the extra expense.

Was fun doing it though..

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

That's awesome, that's something my Dad always wanted to do but he never got around to it and the land he bought in the '80s isn't exactly as rural as it used to be. Got to feel good to have a good set plan in place, I'd imagine we would head to my older sisters in a worst-case scenario in the mountains, but I ain't doing that till SHTF and driving up would likely be like Mad Max lol

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I think it is getting closer to that time. Seems there are 2 presumptive cases in Utica NY now, that is only a little over an hour drive.

My oldest son said a friend was absent today, and the teachers pulled them all together to tell them they thought he had the flu, and would be out a "while". Whatever that means.

Sure does not give me the warm and fuzzies.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join