It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When to go into "shelter in place"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Some of us are prepared, some are not, some don't care and still hold on to this being a nothingburger.

For those of you that are prepared. Are you planning to "shelter in place"? At what point are you going to make that decision? For how long are you prepared, and think sheltering in place will be needed.

I am prepared for my family. I have 6+ months of food and supplies ready. I am just not sure when I will make the call. So far there is only one case in my state, but I think it is probably more wide spread than that. Remember there is at least a 2 week incubation period, maybe more.

I am thinking that once we see it starting in schools, I will pull my kids. I think if we wait till they start closing schools, it may be too late.

I am prepared for 6+ months, but figure if things start to slow down, about 2 months will be about what is needed.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: MrRCflying

It's not an option for us. My partner is in healthcare and not only is she expected to show up when things go south, but she volunteers to do so.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I've been wondering much the same. Glad I hung onto all my 2012 stuff. It's going to be a tough call when you consider how "Hi, I won't be in for 6 months or so...." probably won't go very far with the boss.

I still think limiting contact, activities during off peak hours and keeping to yourself at work.

Tough call - I think most of us plan for an obvious event to happen not this slow creeping doom crap.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Do you have a job? I have bills to pay so I can't afford yo hide inside a bunker.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Got a fully stocked , fully ready , bug out location .
Self sustaining and rated at 96% for at least 5 years.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Im looking forward to getting corona flu, could use a good excuse to take a few days off to stay in bed all day.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   
My Niece just had a baby a little while ago. The baby's doctor sent a letter to her informing her not to worry about the Coronavirus, worry about the Flu. Unless you have underlying health issues the Coronavirus is not that much of a threat.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Four schools in my area may have been exposed. A jazz band concert was held and students came from a school where one student has tested positive. He was not in the jazz band, but his fellow students may have been exposed.
Another local school is scheduled to send students deep into Washington for the state basketball tournaments.
I'm not understanding the educational systems stance, given what we know. We're being told to avoid large crowds, yet the schools are still creating them.
It kind of reminds me of the old generations mind set, where they had chicken pox parties so your kids could catch it and get over it.
It's looking like this virus is going to be with us for awhile, and most people are going to get it.
edit on 10000001010America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Tough call - I think most of us plan for an obvious event to happen not this slow creeping doom crap.
a reply to: billxam

i think that's been the fallacy of the prepper community. they odds of any SHTF situation happening in on fell swoop is very low.

theses slow creeps are more likely and far more difficult to know when the time has come. you run the risk of exhausting you supplies if you go to soon. and in this particular scenario you risk bringing the infection with you to your safe house (see 14-30 day incubation period) if you go too late.... it will be a very tough call, my wife is 8 months pregnant right now, that's some BAAADDDDD timing on my part. luckily we are doing a home birth with a midwife, but i still can't bug out even if i want to.
edit on 2-3-2020 by smkymcnugget420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

It's not an option for us. My partner is in healthcare and not only is she expected to show up when things go south, but she volunteers to do so.

Thank her for her service to those in need!

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: XCrycek
Do you have a job? I have bills to pay so I can't afford yo hide inside a bunker.

I own my own business. Sales have tanked, and I have been affected for 2+ months now as I can't get my custom made PCBs from China.

If they start closing business though, you may not have a choice.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
My Niece just had a baby a little while ago. The baby's doctor sent a letter to her informing her not to worry about the Coronavirus, worry about the Flu. Unless you have underlying health issues the Coronavirus is not that much of a threat.

Right now. I think things will change quickly in the next 2-3 weeks.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
Four schools in my area may have been exposed. A jazz band concert was held and students came from a school where one student has tested positive. He was not in the jazz band, but his fellow students may have been exposed.
Another local school is scheduled to send students deep into Washington for the state basketball tournaments.
I'm not understanding the educational systems stance, given what we know. We're being told to avoid large crowds, yet the schools are still creating them.
It kind of reminds me of the old generations mind set, where they had chicken pox parties so your kids could catch it and get over it.
It's looking like this virus is going to be with us for awhile, and most people are going to get it.

Yea... Kids are little germ bombs, especially when they are all congregated together in a school.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Will do! It is definitely a calling for her. She is a better person than I ever will be and I love her for it, even if it scares the hell out of me.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

a reply to: billxam

i think that's been the fallacy of the prepper community. they odds of any SHTF situation happening in on fell swoop is very low.

theses slow creeps are more likely and far more difficult to know when the time has come. you run the risk of exhausting you supplies if you go to soon. and in this particular scenario you risk bringing the infection with you to your safe house (see 14-30 day incubation period) if you go too late.... it will be a very tough call, my wife is 8 months pregnant right now, that's some BAAADDDDD timing on my part. luckily we are doing a home birth with a midwife, but i still can't bug out even if i want to.

Therein lies the problem. Don't want to be too early, or too late. Kind of a roll the dice.

Good luck and have fun with the new baby!

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: billxam
I've been wondering much the same. Glad I hung onto all my 2012 stuff. It's going to be a tough call when you consider how "Hi, I won't be in for 6 months or so...." probably won't go very far with the boss.

I still think limiting contact, activities during off peak hours and keeping to yourself at work.

I had mine from 2014 Ebola scare. I just needed to top it off, and am all set now.

It probably won't go over well with bosses, but if you call it in a couple of weeks before they start closing businesses, they may say "hey, that guy was pretty smart!"

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Got a fully stocked , fully ready , bug out location .
Self sustaining and rated at 96% for at least 5 years.

5 Years!!! Amazing! I was thinking I was doing good by being ready for 6 months! Hats off dude!

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Thank you kindly, its #3 so it sure will be a ton of "fun" lol

and good luck to you with the dice roll, if it comes down to that.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Unless you got a place and the means to hunker down for a couple of months. I got to work and will do so till we can't, we did get an email from our building's management about new procedures, disinfectant wipes in the elevators that kind of thing. I suggest going to work and follow the CDC's recommendations

www.cdc.gov...

www.cdc.gov... lu-ind-house.pdf

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
When you see the first zombies wandering blindly through the streets, arms akimbo and moaning, BRAIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!, would probably be a good time, if not just a tad late.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join