It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Badly needed persoective on "the sickness" or Corona virus

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: network dude

"So far" is the key phrase, really. Look, all we have right now is a mountain of uncertainty. Nobody knows squat (I fear that includes the government and the medical community) China *maybe* is the only entity that actually has any real understanding of what this does and can do and their response was a complete and total lockdown... enacted when less than 500 people had been confirmed infected and less than 20 deaths had been recorded. All signs point to something far more impactful than the flu.

Or maybe they over reacted in the face of uncertainty?

500 people where infected, 20 deaths, they had no idea what they were dealing with, they had been criticized with slow response in the past, they are a totalitarian regime.

I don't understand how the argument that because China locked down cities it must be bad has merit. It might be true, or they might have over reacted. Nothing definitive can be inferred from their actions.

Just like its hard to infer the severity by the actions of our own leaders.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Chinese food??

Wu-Foo(d) sounds pretty good right now, actually.

Might have to support my local restaurant.

But yeah, 12 Monkeys is a good one.

"First people will think it's some weird flu."

"These teeny tiny bad things calls germs? Don't believe in them."

Twitter

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The only thing that concerns me more about this virus than a common cold is how easily it's transmitted and how long it's known to live on surfaces. I take all the precautions I can, so I'm not going to let fear and worry rob me of any happiness today.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The CDC wants more money for it's programs, it is trying to get the government give them more. But not directly, the Democrats and media are helping them to promote fear to the people. The CDC will not go against the Democrats because the Dems give them more, but they are not blasting Trump either that much, most of the cuts people are hearing about to their budgets are not true. Some reduction was done, and their pandemic commitee was reduced, but some of those people were just reassigned to other jobs.

This disease is about the same as the flu from what I get, just another virus for us to have to deal with every year. The fact that this is so mutated means they will have a problem making a vaccine for it if it does mutate the antigens may not identify it.

Yes, the older people and those on immune suppressant meds or supplements should be made aware of their extended risk and they should not be bouncing all over town if the illness is being spread. When sickness was around when I was young, people stayed home and avoided sick people except to bring them soup when they were sick. Now, people feel they have the right to go out and spread the disease, it is way different now in society than when I was young. People used to have food reserves to last a month. Now people only have two days worth in their cupboards, maybe they have three frozen dinners and six pizzas in the freezer, no food that is good for you if you are sick.
edit on 29-2-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

My mom lived through depression times. They ate from their parents big garden. She always bought bulk, and had our pantry and garage cupboards stuffed full. Not many do that now. They figure they can run by burger king or wendys/

I have 3 freezers stuffed full of assorted meats, vegetables and seafood. Then there is several hundred pounds of of dry goods. Im about as ready as I can be. Ive never seen China freak out like that in my lifetime

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I was diagnosed with the Flu today, fun... : / Sorry not relevant. Just had a moment.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

My mom lived through depression times. They ate from their parents big garden. She always bought bulk, and had our pantry and garage cupboards stuffed full. Not many do that now. They figure they can run by burger king or wendys/

I have 3 freezers stuffed full of assorted meats, vegetables and seafood. Then there is several hundred pounds of of dry goods. Im about as ready as I can be. Ive never seen China freak out like that in my lifetime

I hear you I'm buying what I can and if it's just a few weeks we will be okay supplies wise. That said we have no idea how many times China has freaked out over the years, we just daily knowledge in the last 30-40 years of that before then, something like this hits the US we goes through it and 4-5 months later we say the flu season was bad this year and go on about our business. Swine flu killed a lot of people over a lot of months and countries. This should be our worst case baseline. Thats recent enough but hell I hardly remember any disruption. I'll end with this.

Swine flu is the name for the influenza type A virus that affects pigs (swine). Although swine flu doesn't typically affect humans, there was a global outbreak (pandemic) in 2009–2010, the first flu pandemic in more than 40 years. It was caused by a then-new flu virus known as H1N1, a type A influenza virus that's a combination of swine, avian (bird), and human genes that mixed together in pigs and spread to humans.1

H1N1 is now considered a normal type of seasonal flu and is included in the flu vaccine.

www.verywellhealth.com...
edit on 29-2-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

and definitely visit here read it carefully knowledge is power just reading this made me feel better ..

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: infolurker

Totally agree. Prepping for the unknown is smart, but it’s not time to panic yet.

You are 100% spot-on. CV-19 has a long way to go to catch up with the FLU, in prevalence and mortality.

According to an estimate by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were approximately 45 million cases of the flu in the United States during the 2017-2018 influenza season, resulting in an estimated 810,000 flu-associated hospitalizations and an estimated 61,000 flu-associated deaths.
cnsnews.com...

Hopefully, CoronaVirus-19 will not get anywhere near as bad as the common flu has been.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 11:42 PM
link   

At best case spring time fizzles this out, and we see the economic impact of half of China either being quarantined or under travel restrictions. Sadly the whole world decided to outsource vital parts of industry to get front end done their. I won't claim to know what said impacts are.

Other parts of the world have quarantined cities, or initiated that process. I think we begin to humor that's a possibility here.

Health wise most people will be fine... In terms of severity, I kind of get the analogy to the flu. But in terms of how this potentially spreads could make it a different animal. We still only have the data from China to really go off of. More transparent nations have only started to grapple with this the last couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, society has gotten to a point people tend to gravitate to extreme polarities on any given issue. On this one it seems the two are panic and assume the worst, or act like this is nothing. I think it's going to be more towards the middle or lean towards one side. For what it's worth, I'm rooting for minimal impact.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Re: twitter.com...

In Iran the "rapid transmission" is probably related to illogical beliefs. For instance, why are people lining up to lick a metal window gate, hoping to catch CoronaV-19? That is what they're trying to do, isn't it?

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

the silver lining in all this, is that I have heard smart people on MSM stages speak about how we need to bring manufacturing of those key components back to the nations that use them. They are realizing that "just in time" inventory is great on paper, but sucks when a disrupted flow of good occurs.

We might come out of this with a much stronger supply chain.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   

That's been my hope. If this is just a couple month supply chain disruption, it might sting bad enough for supply chains to get moved back home or at least diversify them so all eggs aren't in one basket. There have been talks about a lot moving to India and a few other countries.

A one quarter hit isn't the end of the world. And it could benefit us if we do something to address this while we learned from a virus that isn't as serious as one surely could be.

My hope isn't high though. We didn't really do anything to fix what happened in 08'. In fact, we kept employing many of the same tactics that brought us to where we're at now... A market that reeks of FED munipulstion, inflated and unsustainable prices, increasing debt around every sector (private and public), and if it all gets called in the house of cards may topple.

My concern at this point is the timing. If the supply chain disruption proves to be really bad spread across multiple different industries... What impact will that play on investor confidence during an election year? And I understand many are going to weaponize that for their agenda, but it doesn't change the fact its an elephant in the room.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

We stock about seventy pounds of flour, fifteen pounds of rice, forty pounds of sugars, and lots of pasta, cereals, salt and spices, and dried beans and stuff, maybe two hundred pounds of drygoods. Maybe three hundred pounds of cangoods, plus of course, twenty pounds of canned coffee. We also stock lots of pectin for making freezer jam, but I wish I knew how to make regular bottled foods. We have at least two hundred mason jars with lids, but only use the pints and half pint jars for making jams. We also have three freezers, right now only a dead cat waiting for spring burial is in the third one. But when we get our side of beef, three are usually going for a couple of months. Two freezers are full of stuff. We must have clost to a thousand pounds of food in stock at the peak and about six hundred pounds at the low points.

We need to stock more cat litter though, that is really important. Cats can be miserable bitches if you get them spoiled.

We have enough food for sixteen people for three months in stock, but if we had to conserve, it could last six months for that many people, all in rotation. If it got depleted, it could run fifteen hundred to two thousand bucks to stock back up, heck even more, the half a cow costs us about fifteen hundred bucks a year alone. At all times the fish in the freezers are between eight to twenty pounds, and at a minimum poultry is at least thirty pounds and sometimes we have twelve chickens or packs of breasts or leg quarters in there if there is a good sale on Amish chicks at the stores.
edit on 1-3-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   
What the furin !

It seems we have a furin problem ...

Thailand medical news

COVID-19, Furins & Hypoxia – The Vitamin C Connection

COVID-19 might have stealth properties, and might get activated by a trigger yet unknown....EMF radiation is one suspect fo me, but there might be many different triggers ...

Furin Cleavage Site thing might change my wiews, but as i am not virologist etc i have difficulties to really understand the full meaning ,and how reliable the wiews are....still, many seems to have just mild symptoms when catch COVID-19.

5G, Mitochondria & Coronavirus – A Tale of Depolarization

edit on 1-3-2020 by Kenzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Re: twitter.com...

In Iran the "rapid transmission" is probably related to illogical beliefs. For instance, why are people lining up to lick a metal window gate, hoping to catch CoronaV-19? That is what they're trying to do, isn't it?

Actually, that metal gate probably has a charge on it, it is shiny. Metal shorts out microbes, including viruses if the metal has air blowing by it or is being hit by sonelight. Even swinging the gate builds a charge on it from the friction. Energy flows from the ground to the sky, that gate may only have a tiny amount of amps, but it probably has a surface charge of two hundred twenty volts. Bacteria and viruses cannot live on a cast iron frying pan if it is seasoned right, it cannot live long on your chrome car bumper. Also, if the temperature of anything gets up to a hundred thirty five degrees for a couple of minutes...the sun... it kills this virus.

That guy probably has heard that viruses cannot grow on that metal. Or he is just lucky and stupid.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: ketsuko

Well, to be far, if Coronavirus has a 2% mortality rate, then it is 20-times more deadly that influenza.

This has been floating around a lot and I have to point out it's misleading. 0.1% is the average death rate of the flu in the United States. Worldwide the death rate from flu is higher than that. I haven't seen a good source for what the worldwide death rate for flu is. But comparing the global death rate for coronavirus to the US death rate for flu is not an apples to apples comparison.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 07:05 PM
link   
So, I'm working on some projections based upon the figures we've been given. I'm trying to get a handle on the data and where we'll be at different future dates.... i.e. numbers infected, numbers who have died etc.

I'm trying to work out what has the governments so freaked out that they think lock downs are the answer. It doesn't add up.

There has to be something known about the virus that is triggering it... like an equation.
We can all agree that the response seems extreme, certainly in China (where they probably have the most information on it).

It is this fact that has most of us here sitting up and paying attention. The more time that passes, the easier it will be to estimate future contagion rates.

What I'm really interested in is the points at which lockdown happens. How many people were infected in a country before they start taking drastic action. Italy, and by the sounds of it, Japan are our best candidates for getting a handle on it.
If we can get an average on population versus percentage of infected and the trigger point for lockdown, we can probably estimate when each country is likely to set certain things in motion.

Catch my drift?

I'll share what I find. But it is a bit of a job. Any input or pointers to useful data would be welcome.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join