It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think after reading this, it will happen to Major League Baseball this season

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 01:27 AM
link   
This is just in: Wednesday 4:30 Tokyo Feb. 26, 2020

PM Abe of Japan wants to cancel or postpone large-scale sports or events. Prime Minister Abe said in this statement, "This is a very important time to end the outbreak of infection early. Many people gather because the last one or two weeks is extremely important for preventing the spread of infection. Considering the risk of transmission of such nationwide sports and cultural events, we will request measures such as suspension, postponement or reduction in size in the next two weeks. " Also on a post I made is, a girl went to a large concert in southern Japan with the virus. No update on her condition or any of the concert goers. Meetings of large gatherings have really got to stop immediately. But Disneyland Tokyo is still open. Wow!
edit on 0200000049282020-02-26T01:28:49-06:00284902am1 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Yeeaahh, I think a lot of 'adjustments' are on the way for the time being.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 01:57 AM
link   
When Waffle House closes....Then, and only then, shall I panic.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 02:06 AM
link   
A good idea for a thread might be something like "events and services impacted by Coronavirus". Things like this topic and the proposed cutting of rail links from Austria to Italy.

I imagine quite a few impacts will be noted as the illness spreads.

ETA: Done. Events, Services, and Coronavirus

Cheers
edit on 26-2-2020 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 02:14 AM
link   
As contagious as this appears to be, it's inevitable that it wont be contained.

Are the (er, a few?) World governments just trying to slow down the spread?

I'm torn, on whether this whole pandemic is political theater, or not?

Wow. I cant believe this is where we are.

I'm a 70s/80s military brat and my father worked for NATO. In the late 80s, my high school soccer team (Naples, Italy) was invited to play USSR high school team.

I remember the excitement, leading up to the game. It was unprecedented. All students were invited to attend the game (D.O.D school). The school organized a "fan bus" airflight for all that were cleared by the soviets, after a thorough background check.

Unfortunately, I missed out. I didnt pass the clearance, due to my father's job at the time.

Less than a year later, the wall came down. I remember that day. I remember thinking, "Maybe, I'll finally get to meet the kids from the other team".

The Soviet kids were all the other kids, at my school, would talk about. All I wanted, was to meet them. My classmates made lifelong friends, at that soccer game.

The stories I heard in the hallways, in class, and from friends that went, drew a mental picture in my mind that made me forever feel compassion and sadness, for everyone under a communist regime. Will expand, if anyone is interested. They're not exciting, nor shocking. Just...sad, at least to my teenage mind. I felt great compassion and sadness.

Where am I going with all this? What does this have to do with the COVID-19?

Back to my original thought. For the first time in my adult life, I really don't know who/what to believe anymore. I'm beginning to feel that same sadness and compassion I felt years ago. Only, it's for my own country.

edit on 26-2-2020 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I was just thinking that when I saw a concert advertised and of course sporting events. The olympics in Tokyo aren’t going to be a good idea if they go ahead.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I feel ya. I was supposed to go.to Russia as a two striper when I was working on ICBM'S in Montana as part of the SALT agreememnt. We both sent teams to examine each others weapons systems. The trip got canx'd and I never made it to Russia....its still a bucket list item.

To your point....real people are good....while the political class are evil scumbags sent to sew discourse. If real peeps were allowed to thrive...we'd be exploring Star Trek style 100 years ago.

a reply to: SourGrapes

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I say let it all run its course and pick up afterwards. Let that virus run its self out. Shut the world down.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
I was just thinking that when I saw a concert advertised and of course sporting events. The olympics in Tokyo aren’t going to be a good idea if they go ahead.

IOC said they're making the call on the Olympics in May. If it's not contained by then, then they will likely cancel it.

You gotta feel for the athletes; some of them have very narrow windows of opportunity to compete at a Games, but it's just not worth what could happen if things aren't getting under control. And speaking as an athlete, there is a camaraderie between athletes within a sport that crosses barriers like team and nationality even. You get to know your competitors and make friends with them.
edit on 26-2-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   
And what about the NBA. They slap each other around all over the place.

It could spread like wildfire.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

We have the XFL going on right now. Lol. We are #ed.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I read early on it doesn't survive well over 70F

I guess we'll find out.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420

I say let it all run its course and pick up afterwards. Let that virus run its self out. Shut the world down.

How is that realistic?

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Right now Congress is arguing with each other over how much money to spend on this epidemic. Maybe in a few months they will come to an agreement.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   
i foresee (certainly here in UK) all large-attendance public/sporting/music/cultural events getting scrubbed soon.

all of them.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JSpader

Yeah, but that league the players just make 50 grand. They won't miss that financially at all.

The NBA, NFL, and MLB...BIllions.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   
If it comes to that, they'll shut it down. It's happened before though never for a as long as this might do it.

But 9/11 shut down games and events, and the baseball players strike did it too.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Wrong thread.
edit on 26-2-2020 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet

interesting thought. if the Olympics gets canceled due to the illness, could this actually be the end of the Olympics? i had been hearing a bit of talk about whether the Olympics would be lasting much longer as it was. mainly due to the huge waste of resources and finances involved. with pretty much zero pay back. and leaving all those expensive venues, generally specially built, to rot afterwards with no real usage. although i will admit the SEA games facilities seem to be coming in handy as a quarantine facility right now.

i will say canceling large gathering type events strikes me as a vey good idea in a possible pandemic situation. but good luck getting Disney to shut down. since they are all about the cash. seems it would also be a good idea if people were to cancel their vacation travel plans in this type of circumstance. although i just read a story where people are having to make a hard choice. cancel their trip, and throwing thousands of dollars away. or going on their planned trip. since at this time most airlines/vacation areas and facilities are not giving refunds for cancelations. but the fact is that people should not be traveling, especially on aircraft or cruise ships. except for things like people needing to return home, since companies are not going to hold jobs, or pay people to stay off work an extra month or so, just because they don't want to risk traveling home. as well as the obvious, it takes money to stay away from home for long periods of time. (of course putting people in quarantine when they land). or for actual needed business, such as those working to deal with the situation.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

When Waffle House closes....Then, and only then, shall I panic.

If you eat at Waffle House, you're probably already immune to most deadly diseases.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join