It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brothers- Share a Room Or Separate Rooms?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Long story short we are in the process of building a new house and we have 2 boys, ages 3 and 7 months.

We are debating two choices:

-The boys sharing a bedroom designated for sleeping and having separate “play room” geared more towards activities and containing most of they communal toys. Knowing this would probably only last until the oldest is around 8-10 and desires his own space.

Or

-The boys have separate rooms straight from the start and split toys up accordingly, knowing this may lead to a cluttered and overstimulating bedroom for sleeping.

Any advice would be appreciated.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I had 1 daughter, and 2 sons in a 3 bedroom home. The boys shared a room, and slept in a bunk bed to save space for toys everywhere else

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   
PS: the younger one sleeps on the bottom so he doesn't pee on the older one

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
They are going to want seperate rooms when they are teenagers, that time will come before you know, years start to fly by. Then it will seem like a couple of years and they will be in College, and on holidays they will expect their room available if they have moved away and come home for Christmas or Thanksgiving and stuff like that.

For now, they can share rooms, but make sure to put the playroom door out to the hall instead of between the rooms.
edit on 23-2-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776
I grew up as one of two brothers. We had separate rooms, and I found this both comfortable and necessary. The same applies to "private property" in toys. (With a three-year age difference, they're not going to want the same kind of toys at the same time) As an ex-child, that's the solution I recommend. To me, communal toys and shared room sounds like a recipe for endless squabbling and fighting.

Having said that, our toys were downstairs where we spent our non-sleeping time, so "stimulating environment" was not an issue. If you think that's going to be a problem, have cupboards where toys can be put away for the night.

P.S. When you are decorating, see if you can get hold of a square carpet with bands of colour round the edge, which can be placed in the centre of a room. The bands can provide lanes for the toy cars (that's another bit of memory coming back).

edit on 23-2-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
LOL I grew up in a small house till about 12 but even after we moved shared a bedroom with my older brother by 3 years. We fought and such as brothers do, but did a lot of # together too. Obviously as we got older it was worse especially when he would come home from college. That said I think it teaches you tolerance, discipline and how to live with someone else. We are still very close to each other now.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I grew up with older brothers and we had to share rooms.
Most anyone would prefer their own room but we learn to deal with our situations.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
They are going to want seperate rooms when they are teenagers, that time will come before you know, years start to fly by. Then it will seem like a couple of years and they will be in College, and on holidays they will expect their room available if they have moved away and come home for Christmas or Thanksgiving and stuff like that.

For now, they can share rooms, but make sure to put the playroom door out to the hall instead of between the rooms.

I agree with this 100%. Think toward the future.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   

If money is a factor, I say share a room for them for the first 10 years or so.
But Plan ahead and leave a wall designated as the area that the house can have an addition built on to.
Brothers sharing a room as children...is beautiful.
There will be so many amazing memories made and a strong bond.
However as Teenagers...they will kill each other.

link   
Don't see why two boys under 10 yrs of age need separate rooms. Siblings within 5 years of each other who are not teens generally do things together any way. The buddy system. Also saves on time and resources. Won't last forever so make the most of their team spirit aka encourage good sharing habits, no time like now to get started on such character quality.

link   

Raise them both in the same bedroom with another room that later, when the oldest reaches puberty can be used to give them both rooms. Both will love it.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 04:31 PM
link   

7 kids.....from age 10 you get your own bedroom.

I got two kids still sharing a bedroom and in my experience they really enjoy not being alone at night below 10, they really enjoy their privacy after that.

Peace

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   
My youngest daughter -12 and oldest daughter - 16, shared a room until 12 years old.
The boy always had his own room.
But the girls loved it... Until puberty of course.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   
It has been said that while “kitchens and bathrooms sell houses”, bedrooms add value.

You may not be thinking about the ultimate resale value of your home, but you should be considering it for the future: even if just in the context of “how much will the boys be able to sell the place for when we need to go into a nursing home, or after we die.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Share a room, plus playroom for now.
Separate rooms later, puberty-ish age.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone for the responses, lots of great insight in all of them.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
PS: the younger one sleeps on the bottom so he doesn't pee on the older one

This is great advice, never would have thought about that until the oldest was already traumatized.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

That said I think it teaches you tolerance, discipline and how to live with someone else.

Yes these are a couple factors we considered as well, thank you for the insight.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

However as Teenagers...they will kill each other.

I completely agree, no way I’m having two teenage boys sharing a room.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Great points, and I think that’s the direction we are leaning, as kids they learn valuable lessons while sharing a space, but as teens they need their privacy and own space to get away to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join