It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warez Site Gets Owned (from ATSNN)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Djarums > unfortunately what you advocate as an answer to stopping file sharing is actually far worse than file sharing itself. Creating destructive Viri is a crime ( I believe its dealt with in the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of ). As for working across the board, its highly unlikey. It might take out the intial wave of Windows users, but the handful of hardcore pirates with serious setups will pick the crap apart over night and put out clean versions.

If the music industry would have removed its head from the arse when napster went mainstream almost overnight they could have capitalized on the changing trend but instead they picked the other option and went after file sharers like they had been chopping up babies in the streets or something. Then of course theres the whole deal with the RIAA using intentionally skewed stats to make them seem like they took a loss when instead they simply produced fewer copies, but nobody ever notices something like that, it doesnt make for a good attention-grabbing headline like "evil pirates busted in FBI raid."

The bottom line is file sharing will NEVER go away, its part of the internet now. Companies and groups need to either get with the program and make it affordable to get things digitially or they are going to be rolled right over by the rest of the world thats on board the new trend.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
How about leaked music. I got Beck's new CD Guero early last month, and I don't think it comes out until next week. Someone who got handed a promotional cd must have copied it onto their pc and somehow it got into the land of torrents. Or Is it put there on purpose by the label to spark interest? I checked all the tracks to pre-order samples and it's the same thing.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Hey,

Here my view:

Music hell it aint dear what £8.99 for a CD u wouldnt think twice about pi$$ing more than a £10 in a pub.

Movies/DVD same view here well except the really stupid ones eg the incrediables (Going to sell well) they sell standard copy for between £15 - £20 where as other dvd can be bought for £8 - £10 this just shows greed.

Software. Well games everyone should buy a legal copy of it....Helps make better games and also play online look what happened to the hl2 downloaders what was it 12000 banned in one day. Applications is a different story.....

Software like photoshop macromedia suite are excessive in price especially when they are generally upgrades on previous versions....

Im a student studying computer science so i can see the need to protect copyright hell i dont want my work my living being destroyed, but when i have to do my multimedia course using macromedia director and uni only got 28 copies (£1000 a license) for 200 students i see a need for a course orientated price or a far reduced price in there products. I know mosst do student licenses but these are still excessive in price and no regular student can afford this on top of all the other crap we have to pay for.

In my view students studying a specific area should get help from these companies as in the future it will be us who are buying their software at full price to make a living......

they could help with aid of term time licenses year long licenses for an example.

[edit on 11-3-2005 by minority2000uk]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
If the Entertainment industry does not get on board then they are going to be made irrelivant. Artists will still make money, thats a given. Programmers should be able to make money too, but it is harder and harder these days. Look at the evil EA, who pays programmers 20-30k a year to make such "A List" titles as, NFS Underground, The Sims franchise, NFL(Which is going to suck it up now that they have no competition), NHL, etc etc. We should move into a Bounty Economy.

[edit on 11-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Just kind of curious here.... Please correct me where I am wrong.

Ethics are generally seen to be a situational thing. In other words, if some software isn't too expensive or dear, then it's good to pay for it. However, as the price of the software rises, then ethical decisions on whether or not to pay, as opposed to "stealing" it become problematic?

Really ...

And you guys hit on Bush and other politicians, cops, and the like, as immoral and unethical?

And you see nothing wrong with this?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Ethics are generally seen to be a situational thing. In other words, if some software isn't too expensive or dear, then it's good to pay for it. However, as the price of the software rises, then ethical decisions on whether or not to pay, as opposed to "stealing" it become problematic?

You're taking what people are saying out of context. There is a difference between trying before bying and stealing. Sure it is an individual choice, but these scare tactics have happened before in the 80s when Tape swapping was popular. Music industry is doing fine, and is actually making record profits!! Here is the link...

bmi.com...

BMI reported revenues of $673 million for the 2004 fiscal year, an increase of nearly $43 million, 6.8% over the prior year. The performing rights organization generated royalties of more than $573 million for its songwriters, composers and music publishers. Royalties increased by $40 million or 7.5% from the previous year.

And this is while filesharing is supposedly "stealing" millions from them? BS
This is just one company here is another that is making record profits off of thier Music business...

And vivendi as well..
www.nydailynews.com...

The vast majority of artists themselves do not see filesharing as a big deal...

www.pewinternet.org...

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
No matter what, the big labels of the music industry are going to keep raking in the cash no matter what "illegal" activity takes place. And while raking in all that cash they will still screw over alot of artists and cry and whine that pirates are cutting into their profits.

I wonder how much a typical group or singer makes per CD versus what the Record company pulls in?

[edit on 11-3-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I haven't bought a cd in 4 or 5 years....

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Me neither. Plenty of blank CDs though. But since MP3 capable car head units I don't use nearly as many.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I never really burn cd's either. I got an iPod.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r
I haven't bought a cd in 4 or 5 years....

Do you go to concerts? Buy any other merchandise? Because those go mostly to the artists I believe.(not sure about the merchandise part though...)

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I wonder how much a typical group or singer makes per CD versus what the Record company pulls in?

Im not sure on the exact numbers, but I remember reading a report on slashdot that only the Major artists make anywhere near 5-6%. The rest is under 3%. I am quoting from memory so I may be wrong it could be much worse for all I know or it could be better.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Yeah sardion I buy like shirts and stuff like that. Most of the bands i like you can't go to concerts for cause they are dead. I do buy some tour dvds and stuff though but cd's are overpriced.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
ethics dont go out the window i just understand that when you do a university course like computer science you learn to create and use alot of different software titles.

Most of these titles are excessively priced meaning that if we wanted to do our course we need copies because universitys cant afford enough licenses and we cant afford the £1000 licenses half the software have pinned on them.

In my opinion most university ppl prob "Steal" copyright software for there courses (Should say borrow) and will probably buy it if they require it for their work or for their own use. The software companies want to stop this practise they need to help the ppl that in years to come will be their main source of revenue

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by minority2000uk
In my opinion most university ppl prob "Steal" copyright software for there courses (Should say borrow) and will probably buy it if they require it for their work or for their own use. The software companies want to stop this practise they need to help the ppl that in years to come will be their main source of revenue

In this case, 3d s/w companies, from what i hear ebrace the fact people use thier s/w for exactly what you stated...

They know a few things will happen.

1) The person will learn to do 3d at some point pick it up and buy the s/w to do thier thing legally.

2) the person will only do it as a hobbie and nothing else, aka, modding a game, making a car, or something like that.

3) The 'Far Cry' incident, where they made they whole game on pirated s/w.
(This part i dont agree with cause sooner or later you will learn a lesson just like the Far Cry team did.)

Now for pirating music..

I havent bought any music since 8/01, I prob never will either I do download music of things i like..

I do have metallica music on my PC just case I DL'ed it.. no i dont listen to it..

I would buy music but the thing is, the crap i listen to isnt in record stores.

and Movie titles, I DL the movie and watch it, if its good I will buy the dvd whenever it comes out... about 50 movies i have gotten online i have abought about 45 movies..

As for s/w piracy.. there is no money in this.......

I am so glad that weird project called open source never got off the ground... what was it again.. they give s/w for free and then use it forever.. even with a source code so you can change it...

man that would have been a cool thing, I heard they was going to do an OS called Linux but since it was free it didnt go anywhere... ohh well..

Above statement about open source and linux is exagerated, but you get my point.

[edit on 3/12/2005 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The music industry definitely needs to change the way they market thier music if they want to keep up with this "problem". I listen to alot of music that I have downloaded but I also buy the cd if I like the music. The one thing that is useful about file sharing is the fact that you can find obscure songs or live songs that you wouldn't normally be able to buy in the music store. A nice thing that I do like is the fact that a lot of artists are putting samples of thier new cd on thier websites. I can now listen to the album before I decide to buy it which is nice. This is definitely a problem, but to what extent? It's easy to look at some of these young artists and see the mansions they live in, thier collection of exotic cars, and jewlery and then justify file sharing in your mind. It's interesting though, as it is a vicious circle. If you are an artist then you want as many "rabid" fans as possible but where do you draw the line. I think Metallica lost a lot of fans because of thier constant constant complaining. I mean for a band that has repeatedly put out songs that pump you up and, in a sense, appealed to the rebel thier stance on this issue really turned a lot of people away.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Yeah I was able to find (don't laugh) DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince: And in This Corner, in a newsgroup when no stores carry it anymore. Same with alot of other old obscure rap, metal, and alt albums tha't aren't printed anymore or that are extremely hard to find.

As far as most groups making less than 3%, Tha'ts pretty much what I figured. That's why you don't hear most groups (metallica excepted) whine and complain about sharing and why many actually embrace it. I'm sure many people hear a group they've never heard before and then go to concerts, buy merchandise, etc.

Plus it is a great way for smaller local groups to get noticed by a wider audience.

[edit on 12-3-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
dont know bout the rest of u, but computer classes were not part of my schooling,when i started work(1974) i worked in pyhisicaly demanding jobs,
ie:fisherman,roof fixer, mechanic,railway worker,roadie, construction,blah blah an blah.
at 40 odd, i came 2 the realization that , the brain was willing, but the body was not(several m/c, car and work related accidents)
in 1999 , a friend gave me a box of x486 parts, sed here , if u can build a car engine, u should b able to make a comp.
so, i gave it a whirl, lo n behold, i made a comp, plugged it up n it worked
whooohooo
now what???????????????????????????
what does it do?????????
enter warez.....................
5 years down the track, i can (quite competently i believe) edit music files, photoshop,set up networks(small home based) fix freinds comps,
if it were not for warez, i would never have been able 2 afford the programs or had the chance to try learning a new skill.
now, while it may be illeagle to d/l this stuff, without it, i would not know
the things i do now,
so, more wind in the sails of the pirates i say.....

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
You're a game developer? Cool. Can you tell what company? It it's not secret or anything, what game?

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
information should be free if you want to learn about somthing u should'nt have to pay its a basic freedom/right

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join