It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it so hard to be a Futurist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   
How am I supposed to become an amateur Futurist if I can’t find anything to feed my curiousity?

I wanted to find something that talks about speculative tech and science every week or so but it just doesn’t seem to exist on the internet. How could this be? I found a ton of stuff over the last 4 years but none of it satisfies me. I can’t go on any higher meds for OCD but I am getting a new therapist next week. In the meantime, here’s what I found so far.

www.instagram.com...

www.futuretimeline.net...

www.metaculus.com...

2050.earth...

m.youtube.com...

m.youtube.com...

www.orionsarm.com...

futuristspeaker.com...

timeguide.wordpress.com...

tomcheesewright.com...

toptrends.nowandnext.com...

www.quantumrun.com...

toughsf.blogspot.com...

www.nextbigfuture.com...

www.tor.com...

www.centauri-dreams.org...

www.diamandis.com...

Is their anything else? And yes I have a great knowledge of science and philosophy. I can handle anything except the sign and signifier of Sasurre.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MaxNocerino7

Sheesh....you should try bring a palm reader these days....

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 12:35 AM
link   
You should check out issac arther on YouTube , he’s an exceptional futurist.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: MaxNocerino7
How am I supposed to become an amateur Futurist if I can’t find anything to feed my curiousity? ...

Well: we could blame it on your future self ? ( LoL ! Just teasing ! )

How can one become something: that one is not ?

Perhaps just be your awesome you, and stop grasping for 'something else' ?

If you are a futurist: then just be a futurist, and continue being a futurist.
Let it evolve and flow, and just go with it.

Many folks change paths, later in life.
It just happens. Go with it.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 03:22 AM
link   

You might like this site: www.sciencedaily.com...

Many years ago in my late 20s I read a book title, "Technology and Power" by David Kipnis. There was a quote in this book that has always haunted me my whole career in technology. I've always been far to the left and interested in creating more egalitarian society. I romantically thought the work I was doing in computers was somehow contributing to a larger industry effort to make the World a better place.

However, the quote from the Kipnis book has always haunted me and made think maybe all the efforts of my life where actually having the opposite effect. Instead of my work making a more egalitarian society the collective result of IT sector was actually concentrating wealth into few hands and creating a more elitist society enabling greater levels of wealth inequality and dictatorship in government.

Here is the quote from Kipnis's book:

"In the words of Jose Ortega y Gasset: "Technology provides men the leisure to realize their true potential" This, then, is the promise of technology: a material world of plenty and a spiritual world in which we have the leisure to realize our highest potentials and the freedom to contemplate God.

Yet in nagging counterpoint to this optimism about the beneficent world of plenty provided by unlimited power is the suspicion that technology has another face. There is a world in which the freedom to choose and to control events has been subtly altered so that there is less choice and less control. This is the world of "megatechnics," to use Lewis Mumford's apt phrasing, in which technology concentrates power and reduces individual choice."

Does the system of technology we have in our lives exist to serve us or do we the people exist to serve the system is a fundamental question with the character of our culture. This quote comes from a bahavior psychology book I read in my 20's called "Technology and Power" by David Kipnis. Kipnis also talks about how power changes people's character he labeled the "Metamorphic Effect of Power". It is basically a psychological study confirming the old adage from Lord Acton: "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." In Kipnis's book he shows how people with power develop a contempt for their subjects which inevitably results in immoral actions against the people.

The quote about technology centralizing power has haunted me. Although I do appreciate your professed appreciation of science and philosophy the cold hard truth is technology is often used more to enslave men than it is used for setting them free.

edit on 13-2-2020 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Maybe follow Ray Hammond?

He Tweets and I assume will do regular talks.

However, new information on a weekly basis is not going to be possible for your subject matter.

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   
there is only a onion-skin of difference... or separation between being a Futurist and being a Sorcerer-Magician

you, sir, desire to manipulate the reality we are enveloped in

posted on Feb, 13 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Drop some LCD or do some shrooms.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Hahaha eponymous Amin palmist

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Its Sci Fi but have a read of David Brins "Earth"..
Earth book Predictions

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   
We already know that the future is bunk. We're living in what used to be the future and while it's filled with wonders and marvels, there's a lot of it that just stinks. People love to try to extrapolate from current conditions to project what might happen in the future, but there are so many unpredictable factors involved that come out of nowhere the best most people can do is maybe get a few superficial things right but miss the bigger picture altogether. And for every wonderful thing that happens, something equally lousy happens.

The future tends toward an equilibrium of good things and bad. Everything has a cost. Subjectively, is it better to live here, in the future, than it was to live as a hunter-gatherer in Turkey 11,000 years ago? Impossible to say. We each only get one life and one point of view. Anything else is just hypothesizing. Although sometimes I think I might like sitting by a warm fire gnawing on some venison and making a spearhead while a village elder tells his old story about gods, and I look up at the stars and have no idea what they actually are and it doesn't matter. And even though I know I'll probably die young fighting some animal or from some stupid infection, at least I won't waste away alone in a senior care facility with tubes stuck in my arms.
edit on 19-2-2020 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join