It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abby Martin Sues Georgia Over Israel Loyalty Oath Law

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Freedom of speech or freedom of press does not give a person the right to destroy someone's income just because of their ethnicity.

I like you man but that's a crock of #.

Being critical of Israel is not anti-semitic, boycotting them due to their foreign policy and illegal occupation of lands is not racist. The fact that some of these businesses many want to boycott are built within occupied lands I would say the idea of boycotting isn't at all a bad suggestion.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Imagine the head explosions if that dimwit Ilan Omar proposed a policy that required loyalty pledges to Saudi Arabia if you wanted to suck on the government teet?

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23
a reply to: blueman12

Wow, that is bizarre! I hope she loses, so it can eventually be appealed to the Supreme Court, where she will most assuredly win!

That may be the best case scenario to remove the laws entirely in other states. Israel lobby is strong though.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
My thoughts are similar to Lumenari's.

It's easier to know who's a hateful little bigot when they aren't afraid to spout their BS.

Not true. Abbey Martin does a lot of reporting on the Palestinian side. She disagrees with how Israel handles Palestinians. Does that mean she is a hateful bigot because she won't sign a israel loyalty pledge when speaking at a campus?

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Freedom of speech or freedom of press does not give a person the right to destroy someone's income just because of their ethnicity.

First of all... I'd argue most people don't have a problem with Jews, but rather our relationship, and the terms of such with Israel, a nation.

Second of all, everyone has the freedom to participate or choose not to participate in any aspect of the free market as they see fit. I would never reject goods or services because of someone's ethnicity... Nor would I support someone doing it just because of someone's race, nationality, or creed. But it's absolutely your right to do that if you want, and that's a very important right.

If we start determining if someone is racist because of the nuances they choose to focus on while navigating the free market, we corner ourselves.

Today you say that we can't Boycott Israel, next we can't do the same with goods from China.

I knowingly try not to buy goods from China. That doesn't mean I don't want to buy anything from someone who is Chinese, I do that in the states. But I don't support our relationship with China, the government. Can you see that distinction?
edit on 11-2-2020 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   
"ISRAELI CRIMES"
Crimes! That says it ALL.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Its NOT people who say Any thing about Israel.
its about ALL people being Made to sign a law!
so they can never say any thing about Israel.
Even if they dont.

If a County Made people sign a law saying
they can Not say Any thing agains russia.
would You sign it?

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   
it is astonishing, that 'they' think they can create thought crimes in our republic.

and because 'they' have all the money in the world, 'they' pay off weak willed politichans to destroy our way of life.

thousands of brave americans died in the 1700s so we could have freedom of speech.

and 'they' are trying to take it away from us.

if anyone does not think 'they' are not dangerous, this is massive.

this is more dangerous than any virus.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: Lumenari

Personally, I think hate speech is part of freedom of speech and anyone should be able to say whatever they want, no matter how abhorrent or vile.

Agreed.

It should be up to the individual to decide if they want to be nice and spare someones feelings or not.
Not the governments.

And we should except the consequences of what we say. Even if it means a punch in the face.

Freedom of speech wasn't something specifically included in the Bill of Rights to protect speech that everyone agreed with.

It was to protect speech that nobody agreed with.

THAT was the whole point... it allowed all viewpoints to be debated, talked about, kept or discarded.

A PC culture inhibits that and does not allow bad ideas to die off on their own.

Pc culture makes our society emotionally weak. This leads to many other problems.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Thanks that’s one of the smartest things I ever heard . Some people want to tell you what you’re allowed to say and think . I agree that you should be able to say anything you want at any time . If you say stupid stuff that people don’t like then they’ll label you as such . Free speech is a good thing

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

First of all... I'd argue most people don't have a problem with Jews, but rather our relationship, and the terms of such with Israel, a nation.

Second of all, everyone has the freedom to participate or choose not to participate in any aspect of the free market as they see fit. I would never reject goods or services because of someone's ethnicity... Nor would I support someone doing it just because of someone's race, nationality, or creed. But it's absolutely your right to do that if you want, and that's a very important right.

If we start determining if someone is racist because of the nuances they choose to focus on while navigating the free market, we corner ourselves.

Today you say that we can't Boycott Israel, next we can't do the same with goods from China.

I knowingly try not to buy goods from China. That doesn't mean I don't want to buy anything from someone who is Chinese, I do that in the states. But I don't support our relationship with China, the government. Can you see that distinction?

I have always tried to buy American made goods to support our own countries workers, that includes stuff made in Israel. I did this without boycotting anything. Trouble is now that almost everything in the stores is made in foreign countries. There is no American made option in many things anymore, at least around here. Most American made stuff also has lots of foreign made elements to it too. Some foreign cars have more american made in them than our domestic autos. For the first time in my life I bought a Forester, made in Japan. I figured before I died I wanted to own one full foreign car. I have owned forty one cars in my lifetime, only this one was a foreign import, but some of the newer ones we bought over the last twenty years have had foreign parts.

You know, if I were to boycott anything that has any imported parts or is imported, I sure could live cheap, Everyone would call me a pennypinching miser, since I wouldn't be spending any money except for food.
edit on 11-2-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
While I think the israel is the root of all evil is absurd, Georgia has no business with having that law on the books.

So I hope she wins and the state is forced to get it off the books.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join