It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oscars Best Dressed - Prepare for the Hunger Games!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This morning I saw the typical "Best and Worst dressed" of the Oscars. I took a peek out of mild curiosity and was aghast. Surely, THIS is not what they considered "best dressed"? These outfits are, by are large, horrid.... Then I thought, may it is just Cosmo....they could be pretty out of touch. So I did a quick google search to discover....nope, most sites are considering the same as the "Best dressed."

Ok, I have to be honest....this kind of garbage reminds me of the ridiculous costumes in the Hunger Games. Wow...Hollywood and their media entourage is soooooooooo out of touch!

Hunger Games -

Billie Porter at the Oscars -

Take a guess...

It's almost like they try to outdo each other for the most outrageous costume.... Keeping those wardrobe designers in the green for their continued performances.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

Pretty nuts, they really consider themselves important dont they?

I havent watched that silliness for decades, didnt know anyone actually cared.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I think Hunger Games wore it better.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Doesn't really surprise me considering that these people like the smell of their own farts.

I sure don't watch a show where they tell each other just how great they are.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Oh look, the fashion of 2020 is that of the hunger games. The hubris these people have......

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Damn you!!!!! Hahahaha

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
Keeping those wardrobe designers in the green for their continued performances.

Most fashion houses pay to have people wear their designs.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy
It's almost like they try to outdo each other for the most outrageous costume.... Keeping those wardrobe designers in the green for their continued performances.

That's not actually how it works anymore -- the majority of designers, like the jewelers, really do PAY the celebs to wear that s#, it gets them current exposure and potentially, future design contracts.

They're still free to buy and wear whatever they want, but who's going to turn down making some extra money to wear something garish for a few hours? It's like paying big name celebs to sit in the front rows of fashion houses' shows -- yeah, they could come in on their own, but it's a more sure bet to get that association exposure if you pay them to show up and sit on their ass. Same idea with wearing the designs, it works out more favorably to buy the designer exposure worn on a celebrity than to cross your fingers and hope they honestly want to wear your ugly trash.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Pretty nuts, they really consider themselves important dont they?

I havent watched that silliness for decades, didnt know anyone actually cared.

I didn't watch either....nor have I in years. And while I don't have a deep seated passion for fashion, I do like elegance so, as I mentioned, mild curiosity. I guess I feel like designers have moved past the Audrey Hepburn elegance days for a weird, "artsy" freak style like Gaga....

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Doesn't really surprise me considering that these people like the smell of their own farts.

I sure don't watch a show where they tell each other just how great they are.

Yeah, its own kind of mental illness.....

ETA - I'm coining a new term - HOLLYWOOD NARCISSISM SYNDROME. Feel free to tag your own definition....this should get interesting! ha ha....
edit on 10-2-2020 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Remember...these are supposed to be the best dressed....

smh....

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 10:34 AM
link   

I'll 'one up' you both.
I didn't even know that the Academy Awards were happening last night... until I heard it on the news this morning.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I love high fashion, even the crazy fashion.

Just like art, it isn't meant for everyday work wear or even evening wear.

This type of fashion is mean to make a statement, either negative or positive, and from your post, it is working.
Nothing has changed, the sentiments have been the same. Even though we think oh' they were so much more classy back then, etc... I remember my grandma getting angry at seeing someone on one of these shows wearing a slightly see through shoulder on her dress. Yes, an exposed shoulder, the scandal!

If you ever watched a runway show, there are some really weird out there outfits. The designers then tone down these outfits to appeal to the mass public, and that's what shows up at your local target.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Jesus H Christ!!!

The woman in the red dress that looks like a giant red tampon…

Oh, and the guy dressed like a bird in an oversized skirt and gold-collored stilettos…

Of half the people in your pics, I can’t tell if they are male, female, neither, or both. They just look like clowns with a mask. Not even human. Kind of like Chucky.

Soulwaxer

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: soulwaxer

Oh, and the guy dressed like a bird in an oversized skirt and gold-collored stilettos…

If we go back in fashion history, it was men that wore the fancy clothes, especially high heels.
It is only a modern thing that women wear heels.

Maybe I'm weird, I just love the feather top.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: soulwaxer

If we go back in fashion history, it was men that wore the fancy clothes, especially high heels.
It is only a modern thing that women wear heels.

Maybe I'm weird, I just love the feather top.

I respect your opinion and taste, and yeah.. you just might be weird.

But in my eyes, and I may be weird too, the colors in his skirt don't match well with the gold of his feathers (lol) and his shoes. I just find it all way out of proportion and generally not-stylish.

soulwaxer

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I will say first off, that at least the 2nd one shimmering gold with the taffeta ruffles passes for somewhat classy.

1st one the gold feather shirt and shoes at least complement each other. The skirt does not! No real coordination nor reasoning in the pattern or sweeping style.

3rd one...ugh! I am fine with red, but goodness, the ruffles are definitely not placed to be flattering. Totally pears her body shape out! The ruffles would have been more flattering running down the back into the train. Same with the top being to square. Plus, no cord inaction between her gloves and shoes! Complementary golden gloves would add more class, but even black heels would have pulled her outfit together.

Just my own personal opinions, naturally. I can only guess one was considered best and the other 2 were worse.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Getting on a best dressed list is a huge thing for new or smaller design houses/designers.

There are some BIG kickbacks that take place to nab a spot on the more "official" lists, like People, InStyle, Vogue, etc.

Like anything, it's all about sales, exposure, and how much you're willing to invest.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Getting on a best dressed list is a huge thing for new or smaller design houses/designers.

Renee Zellweger and Brie Larson looked pretty hot. Even some of the older actresses like Sigourney Weaver and Laura Dern looked good too.

Plenty of well dressed chickies that I saw, not everyone looked like a lobster.

posted on Feb, 10 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

100% would with Jane Fonda in her repeat dress.

I love Scarlett Johansson's look.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join