It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PMQs: Johnson fails to assure Tory MPs that Huawei’s involvement in UK 5G will only be temporary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 09:44 AM
link   
From an article in The Guardian

Damian Green, the former first secretary of state, first raised the issue. He asked the PM:

The prime minister is conscious of the very widespread concern in this house about the plans to involve Huawei in 5G networks, concerns that will have only been increased by the news this week that France is building a new 5G network without the involvement of Huawei, following the lead of Australia. If they can do it, we could do it.
Can the prime minister confirm that he wants to reduce Huawei’s involvement over time and can he give a timescale as to when that involvement will hit zero?

Johnson replied:

[Green is] certainly right that we are going to be reducing involvement of Huawei below the 35% market cap, but he’s also right in his general vision, which is one I entirely share.
What has happened is, I’m afraid, a failure of like-minded countries to produce an alternative to the 5G network, except that provided by high-risk vendors, and that is why we are now doubling the science budget and we will be working with some of the countries that he mentions in order to produce exactly that diversification in the market.

We are tied to Huawei, they ignored advice and charged headlong into the deal. So, how is that trade deal with the US of A looking now?

Obviously BawJaws knew this before the General Election but kept quiet about it because he knew it would effect the Trade Deal...

Is this a sign of [Brexit] things to come?

Time will tell but so far, I'm not impressed with life in the Big Brexit House.

edit on 5/2/20 by djz3ro because: Fix the link....

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

We are tied to Huawei, they ignored advice and charged headlong into the deal. So, how is that trade deal with the US of A looking now?

The trade deal is looking OK , according to Pompeo we're head of the line.
The Huawei decision has one eye on a China trade deal and as long as their tech isn't in a position that could cause a problem to our security then it's understandable why the decision was made.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I the issue is Huawei compromising security via backdoors.

That's the inheret security risk they pose.

No one actually believes the Chinese are well meaning, like the story that broke a few months ago about finding hidden chinese chips in tech products being shipped abroad to network centers....

Trump wants a deal with the UK.

Boris is working with what they got left after the EU divorce.

I think the Huawei issue may have some things to iron out.

But Trade is a number of things, so who knows?

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
But that is the problem. Huawei IS proven to be a high security risk, proven. That's why the Americans wont use them nor France. Just why we have let them have ANY involvement at all is supremely stupid.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Aren't you afraid of Chinese backdoors, via Huawei?

This isn't a me and you thing, rather, a national security issue where you take NO CHANCES with High Risk vendors, like the Chinese.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Got to admit I don't know enough about the technical side of this but I have to say I'm very wary of allowing the Chinese anywhere near something like this.
I'm not an overly paranoid person but I simply wouldn't trust them having anything to with it.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

The trade deal is looking OK , according to Pompeo we're head of the line.
The Huawei decision has one eye on a China trade deal and as long as their tech isn't in a position that could cause a problem to our security then it's understandable why the decision was made.

I'd rather the Government would use the trade plan they agreed with the EU..if they did get one that is!

American techy stuff in the past was pretty grotty...I know I had to use it.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

It's good to be cautious.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

Damian Green, the former first secretary of state, first raised the issue. He asked the PM:

The prime minister is conscious of the very widespread concern in this house about the plans to involve Huawei in 5G networks, concerns that will have only been increased by the news this week that France is building a new 5G network without the involvement of Huawei, following the lead of Australia. If they can do it, we could do it.
Can the prime minister confirm that he wants to reduce Huawei’s involvement over time and can he give a timescale as to when that involvement will hit zero?

Johnson replied:

[Green is] certainly right that we are going to be reducing involvement of Huawei below the 35% market cap, but he’s also right in his general vision, which is one I entirely share.
What has happened is, I’m afraid, a failure of like-minded countries to produce an alternative to the 5G network, except that provided by high-risk vendors, and that is why we are now doubling the science budget and we will be working with some of the countries that he mentions in order to produce exactly that diversification in the market.

Obviously BawJaws knew this before the General Election but kept quiet about it because he knew it would effect the Trade Deal...

3UK owns the majority of infrastructure. They are not a uk company so whats the big deal?

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LuxFer

originally posted by: djz3ro

Johnson replied:

3UK owns the majority of infrastructure. They are not a uk company so whats the big deal?

What's the big deal? This is...

Mike Pence hints Boris Johnson's Huawei decision could be deal-breaker in US-UK trade deal: 'We'll see'

edit on 7/2/20 by djz3ro because: Spelling

top topics

join