It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Megalodon theory...still alive, just mislabeled.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Proposing something I believe to be an original theory. Megalodon still exists...it is simply mislabeled. We currently call them sleeper sharks.

3w9yz8ifp462cet4q2j4fjen-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com...

Here is the crazy thing, we have found Pacific Sleeper Sharks near 500 years old. Their current lifespan is unknown. What if a sleeper shark is merely the size one achieves after 4 or 5000 years of growth. What if changes within the ocean simply prevents them from living long enough to "become" the megalodon. Crazy theory, perhaps, but definitely fun.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CobaltCPD

But the Megalodon was a real thing. Wouldn't biologist be able to piece together if "sleeper sharks" grew into Megalodons?

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Sleeper Sharks grow to around 14 feet, with an estimated max of 24.
Megalodons were up to 70 feet and 60 to 70 tons.

There's no way to mistake one for the other. It's like saying a Dolphin could grow into a Sperm Whale.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CobaltCPD

Their current lifespan is unknown. What if a sleeper shark is merely the size one achieves after 4 or 5000 years of growth.

That sounds likely. I did a lot of research into ancient depictions of dinosaurs, and they believed the same thing about land dinosaurs too - whenever they saw them young or small they always killed them before they became larger and more deadly. This isn't farfetched because we have the same belief about alligators today... growing indefinitely until they are killed.

I made a compilation here:

Dinosaurs co-existed with humans
edit on 30-1-2020 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Since sharks are all cartilage there are no fossils to exam. I don’t believe any fossilized cartilage has ever been discovered.

Teeth are their only bones which do fossilize. They use formulas and analysis to figure out how big Megalodons were.

I’m a shark lover so have read much about them.

For great Megalodon fiction, I recommend reading Meg by Steve Allen. Far better than the movie made from it and scary as hell. Though to be fair I quite enjoyed the movie though it was far away from the book.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Sleeper Sharks grow to around 14 feet, with an estimated max of 24.
Megalodons were up to 70 feet and 60 to 70 tons.

There's no way to mistake one for the other. It's like saying a Dolphin could grow into a Sperm Whale.

aside from size are they (the teeth) different?

different structures etc?
without bones, very hard to say.

edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: delete extraneous line

edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I will say this National Geographic was doing dredging of the ocean bottom and found a sharks tooth and it was not fossilized and it was OVER 4 inch triangle as sharks teeth are .
Scientist esteemed the shark which Would be a LIVING animal would have been near 80 to 100 feet .

Way back LONG LONG time agaio in Well ok when I was a kid around 40 years agaio I was watching NBC of one of them and the news showed a copter hovering over a ship . This ship was a fishing boat about 25 feet long the boat had cought a great white around Jackson vill Florida . The shark the n proceed to TOW the boat all the way Up to Jersey at which point the new people noticed .
so copter hovering shark right up against the boat at this point ( again Boat 25 feet Shark was MUCH MUCH longer then the boat scientist estimated shark at 36 feet .
Reported asked the ships caption just what he planed on doing with the shark the guy says ( dont know guess well let him go .) lol which is why that shark was not on record as the Biggest ever .
wish I could find a link all google pulls up is fossilized teeth .

top topics

join