It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WWE Wrestiling Popularity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I'm not into it but always wanted to check it out for fun so finally went. No idea they could pack an arena of over 40K people today. I thought maybe in the mid teens. Crazy. People still really love it.

I will say, it was entertaining and now with the women, there were just as many little girl fans as boys. Probably won't be going back but I totally get why people like it. Non stop action, very good athletes, drama, new skits. Some of the moves, very dangerous. They don't have padding and helmets so one slip or bad landing could be lethal. I give them a lot of respect because they put in countless hours perfecting those moves.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

WWE is not a " U.S. Sport "

Firstly WWE is an entertainment company.

Secondly professional wresting began in Europe during the 19th century

Thirdly " wrestling " dates back thousands of years.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

The NFL is technically registered as entertainment so...meh. All sport is entertainment IMO. It has no impact on anything. It's just for fun. I get that it's scripted and somewhat silly in that regard but they are packing stadiums and making money which is the ultimate goal; entertain and make money.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Didn't have any luck embedding it!

media.giphy.com...
edit on 27-1-2020 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Hulk vs andrew the giant was the last one I watched.

Since I grew up MMA is more my thing.

Peace
edit on 27-1-2020 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Il never understand why anyone watches that crap. Just oiled up half naked body builders showing off their horrible acting skills while having a cheesy 40 min scripted argument before fake fighting for 5 min.

I find it very sad how many grown people participate in that “sport”. (Defiantly not a sport in any way)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Wrestling results were posted in the sports section of newspapers in the 40s and 50s.

The "sport" has been ruined so to speak and is nowhere near as popular as it was in the 70s.

It's no longer men really beating the crap out of each other...or I should say the belief that they could be. Now it's gymnastics.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I thought that as well but the stadium last night was packed and loud. Blew me away to be honest. I'm talking well over 40K people. More than most baseball, basketball games and concerts. Only thing bigger is Football or some big name artist like a Bruce Springstein. Is it cheesy and stupid. Of course it is but it's not dead. People love this crap.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I think it’s fun, bit of a male soap opera
Pure indulgent escapism.
I watch it if it’s on and enjoy the characters.

Even better is the people who say to me it’s not real and then watch a movie and get invested in the movie knowing full well it’s not real
Or people who say it’s gymnastics when well, who could survive those impacts if they were real
Or people into Sasquatch videos and nazis living on the moon, cartoonish children’s stories preaching their intellectual superiority at me for enjoying oiled up men play fighting. Those intellectuals who spell definitely as defiantly because they pretend intellectualism over reality

Or wannabe tough people who watch mma but don’t participate because all they are good for is watching and thinking they are tough

Anyway, each to his or her own. Don’t mind me a bit of Jericho, Elite, Lesnar, Orton or Brian Danielson, pure escapism
Sorry if I am to lowbrow

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

There are definitely die hards.

I'm just saying that it's nowhere near as popular as a couple decades ago.
You saw one event that was packed.
Look up some you tube videos of old school wrestlers and listen to their stories.
Truly amazing.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The NFL is listed as an entertainment company...why...predetermined outcomes..a reply to: alldaylong

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

True, this was one of their biggest events in one of the biggest markets. Not like that outside of say top 5 cities. Small venues, probably in the 10-15K range. The 80's were the heyday and it won't ever get to that level again but same could be said for other sports as well. Still, despite the internet, streaming and video games they are not going away anytime soon. It's mindless fun and if anybody wants to be entertained the big venue events I highly recommend. The energy is intoxicating and I'm not even a real fan.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 02:15 PM
link   
wwe network has 1.9 million subscribers
not to bad when you see sling tv has 2.3 million

seems popular to me

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   
They are claiming last night set a record for the Astros Minute Maid Park for attendance. It beat Taylor Swift concert that drew 42,095 people. The Rumble drew 42,715 fans.

Could be some conflict because some say Astros Craig Biggio’s last game of his career on September 30th, 2007 sold 43,823 tickets, 107% of the capacity of the ballpark.

I got a couple of commemorative Royal Rumble metal chairs with my tickets. They are going for $100 on Ebay right now. Crazy. It may be goofy and silly but the WWE made a massive loot of cash last night. Millions of dollars off this stuff.
edit on 27-1-2020 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

WWE is not a " U.S. Sport "

Firstly WWE is an entertainment company.

Not the WWE of which this thread is about.....

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Agreed, it's just entertainment. I watch the big PPVs every year still.

I started watching AEW when it started last year, and honestly I have watched it every week since, I enjoy it for what it is. Wrestling is alive and well.

new topics

top topics

join