It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People love to panic maybe its not time to start prepping

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
A little perspective:

"The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that flu kills between 250,000 and 500,000 people around the world every year."

Here is some information on from an article on the coronavirus:

"Among the first 17 victims were 13 men and four women. All were identified only by their last names. The youngest was a 48-year-old woman, Yin, who died on Monday, more than a month after her symptoms were first recorded. The oldest cases were two 89-year-old men who died on Saturday and Sunday. The median age was 75.

Many had underlying conditions like cirrhosis of the liver, hypertension, diabetes and Parkinson’s disease. Most spent more than a week in hospitals, with some undergoing treatment for a month or longer. But two died just four days after they were admitted.

While much about the virus remains unknown, medical experts found some positive signs in the fact that the disease did not appear to be killing young and otherwise healthy people."

It sounds like the people who died from the coronavirus were already sick with something.

www.nytimes.com...
edit on Sat Jan 25 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Best to be prepared and not need to be then unprepared and need to be, no?

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   
"two-year-old Chinese girl became the youngest patient"

gooruf.com...#!

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   
There are molecular biology forums where we are tracking this. The dead count is well over 10k atm. This thread will not age well.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This thing can stay hidden in carriers for up to ten days,it is airborne,capable of human to human transmission,will stick to surfaces for days,may have an RO as high as 3.8 and may have an 83 per cent attack rate so get your masks,hospital antiseptic etc etc but in the end you'll either survive this..or not..sorry to be so negative

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   
GOOD to not panic.
BAD to not be cautious & prepared.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Even if the Coronovirus doesn't happen it is always good to be prepared. There are always natural events of nature occurring (fire, floods, earthquakes, sickness, etc) and one's prep kit will always come in handy. My kits have come in handy in non dire events already and we have been very thankful we did prepare.

So, I would always encourage people to prep.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Around here (Belgium), no one is worried, the media tells us not to be worried so no one seems to even care.
I for one spend the day prepping... bought masks, disinfectant soap, bleach, meds to battle pain and fever. Lot's of raw honey and herbs that help clear the lungs. Filled the freezer and stocked up on food that won't go bad for at least two years. I'm ready to quarantine myself and my family for over a month if it comes to that... I'm counting myself lucky that I live far away from a big city.

I think smart prepping isn't overreacting... everything I stocked up on will be used and consumed eventually.

I don't want to panic but I do want to be prepared!
Sooner or later we will have a big pandemic on our hands

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

A little perspective:

The planet currently has a population of roughly 7.8 billion people.

This little bug is currently showing (or been reported as having) a 2% death rate.

That is 156 million people.

A tad over 250,000 to 500,000.

They estimated that the 1918 epidemic killed between 3% to 5% of the population.

This is just starting.

So I'm not freaking out yet, but it is something to keep an eye on.

edit on 25-1-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlbBlack
Best to be prepared and not need to be then unprepared and need to be, no?

That's the point 100%. Prepping won't hurt you.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   

A known virus vs a new virus who's mutations and resistance to drugs is still unknown, we should be prepared.

Righ bud?

Yes panic and doom and gloom sells like hot cakes in America, just keep a level head; this is not the flu.. We have a handle on the scale an have estimates on the toll of the flu virus, not this one.

The potential is too sinister to ignore. We don't quarantine entire cities for the flu because we can successfully combat it.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari
It's OK to start throwing around statistics and numbers, bbbuuuuttt when one of those numbers is you. Well you figure it out.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: KindraLaBelle
Around here (Belgium), no one is worried, the media tells us not to be worried so no one seems to even care.
I for one spend the day prepping... bought masks, disinfectant soap, bleach, meds to battle pain and fever. Lot's of raw honey and herbs that help clear the lungs. Filled the freezer and stocked up on food that won't go bad for at least two years. I'm ready to quarantine myself and my family for over a month if it comes to that... I'm counting myself lucky that I live far away from a big city.

I think smart prepping isn't overreacting... everything I stocked up on will be used and consumed eventually.

good for you
worst comes to worst you eat the food two years from now and you won't have lost any $

I got a flu shot this fall but I'm pretty sure it won't help against this one. I heard somewhere they are putting together an inoculant for.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
A little perspective:

"The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that flu kills between 250,000 and 500,000 people around the world every year."

Here is some information on from an article on the coronavirus:

"Among the first 17 victims were 13 men and four women. All were identified only by their last names. The youngest was a 48-year-old woman, Yin, who died on Monday, more than a month after her symptoms were first recorded. The oldest cases were two 89-year-old men who died on Saturday and Sunday. The median age was 75.

Many had underlying conditions like cirrhosis of the liver, hypertension, diabetes and Parkinson’s disease. Most spent more than a week in hospitals, with some undergoing treatment for a month or longer. But two died just four days after they were admitted.

While much about the virus remains unknown, medical experts found some positive signs in the fact that the disease did not appear to be killing young and otherwise healthy people."

It sounds like the people who died from the coronavirus were already sick with something.

www.nytimes.com...

Nobody here is freaking out think this OP shows like your others you just prefer to be contrarian. Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with being prepared either. Hell 90% of the stuff I get can be used in bad weather situations and power outages that always happen here. That said you are foolish not to pay attention to this and at least follow the progress, especially if you live in a major hub and or near a large Asian population, which I do. It's Chinese New Year which means people have been traveling back and forth more than usual. Not to mention many of my manufacturers I represent are based in China or Hong Kong. Anything that disrupts China usually disrupts our business.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: Lumenari
It's OK to start throwing around statistics and numbers, bbbuuuuttt when one of those numbers is you. Well you figure it out.

I was merely pointing out that this (so far) is a lot worse than a normal flu season in terms of the death rate.

As for me and the wife, we have taken the time over the years to boost our immune systems to where we just don't get sick anymore.

If we do I grow plenty of things here that can help.

So I'm not worried about the actual flu part of this personally.

I'm a little more concerned about the geosociopolitical ramifications of losing 2-3% of the world's population in short order.

Which I am prepared for as well.

edit on 25-1-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BillyJoeeOzark
There are molecular biology forums where we are tracking this. The dead count is well over 10k atm. This thread will not age well.

Man, you got to post links or something to back that up. Are these people in Wuhan? You just can't trust 3rd party communications almost always get scrambled, throw in an inherent trait that exaggerates and boom.

I've heard potentially higher numbers too but until they are substantiated it really is fear-mongering. Its bad enough that cities have been quarantined, roads blocked public transportation suspended. I'm 55 years old and never remember that kind of response.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Get your groceries delivered.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Get your Dr. to do housecalls.
edit on 25-1-2020 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It is never a good idea to panic.

However, there are thousands if not millions
of people in China who wish they had prepared.

The stores are empty.

When is the last time you heard of millions
of people being quarantined in China?

Not saying people in the U.S. need to go into
prep mode, but it is always a good idea to
have a weeks supply of food on hand.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   

For once I agree with you.

I am completely unconcerned about this Chinese coronovirus.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join