It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question About Time Travel.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420
a reply to: Fallingdown

I never understood that theory. Makes no sense.

There’s a old oral theory for directions that’s remarkably similar .

You can’t get there from here .

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
The only way I think time travel is possible is "relative" time travel...

For example, we figure out how to travel at hypersonic speed. So an astronaught may travel to some point in space. Say a moon. The time it takes them to travel from earth to that moon may be say 200 years in earth time, but only maybe say 5 days in hyperspace.

So when that person arrives at that fictional moon, technically, maybe 200 years has elapsed on earth.... I think. Maybe a physicist can explain better

That was discussed in the novel, "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

originally posted by: Jefferton

My cat's breath smells like cat food. .

My cats breath smells like its bum... Past, present and future...

No, that's perpetual motion.

Different concept.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

originally posted by: Jefferton

My cat's breath smells like cat food. .

My cats breath smells like its bum... Past, present and future...

No, that's perpetual motion.

Different concept.

I disagree old chap with all due respect.

My cats bum stank in the past... Stinks right now...

Aaaaaannndddd.... The pungent odor has even started to contaminate the future...

He farts indoors... I go outside the house and walk down to the bottom of the garden...

I smell his bottom burp at the bottom of the garden...

Explain that!

Either his boff clings to me or he shat in my Brussels sprouts patch!

Lags

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   
So then, did Kyle Reese really travel back in time to protect Sarah Connor, OR did he travel back in time to father John Connor???

Because if Reese didn't travel back in time to father John Connor, then he would have never known him in the future and therefore would have had no reason to go back in time.

He just wanted to get some of that 80's nookie, before all the high-speed, low-drag, thing caught on.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   
OooOOOoooeeer...!

Double post after FCD posted.

Bloody time travel and cats!
edit on 17-1-2020 by Lagomorphe because: Blame it on the new female Dr Who...

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Time passage slows in relation to objects traveling faster/closer to the speed of light (tests with atomic clocks prove this).

A person in an object travelling at close to lightspeed will experience less time change than his point of departure...departing and returning to that point of departure (now at a different position in space) at light speed will result in that astronaut effectively travelling into the future without aging an equal amount.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

So then, did Kyle Reese really travel back in time to protect Sarah Connor, OR did he travel back in time to father John Connor???

Because if Reese didn't travel back in time to father John Connor, then he would have never known him in the future and therefore would have had no reason to go back in time.

He just wanted to get some of that 80's nookie, before all the high-speed, low-drag, thing caught on.

Yeah, that never made any sense to me...

He fathered the guy who was leading the revolution.... but how did John Connor get there in the first place BEFORE Reese went back in time?

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

That WAS bizarre! I was thinking the same thing. First time I've ever seen that! A DP getting split by another post.

Weird!

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Time passage slows in relation to objects traveling faster/closer to the speed of light (tests with atomic clocks prove this).

A person in an object travelling at close to lightspeed will experience less time change than his point of departure...departing and returning to that point of departure (now at a different position in space) at light speed will result in that astronaut effectively travelling into the future without aging an equal amount.

We don't know if they will age an equal amount or not...

The concept of age is based on how we calculate time using a rotation around the sun... 1 year. Traveling in time may change that baseline in how we calculate time, but not necessarily how the body/person actually ages physically.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

The expansion of space wouldnt really apply as long as you stayed within a few light years to earth. Maybe just do big circles.

Anyways even though it is possible to travel into the future as PROVEN by relativity....it would take about 100,000 times as much energy as all humans use collectively in a year to propel just one human (no spacecraft) to 99.99% the speed of light...which is still too slow for meaningful time travel.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   

a reply to: Lagomorphe

That WAS bizarre! I was thinking the same thing. First time I've ever seen that! A DP getting split by another post.

Weird!

Mods playing around with our old heads for a laugh between themselves...!

Or maybe a glitch in time...

Who knows?

“Cue music from the 4th dimension”

Right... back to kicking this stinking cat out of the house for the night...

Oooooohhhh noooooooo the dogs have started now! 😳😳😳

Lags

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

'Planet of the Apes' plot utilizes the theory along with cryogenics for the astronaut(s).
A 200 year trip at close to light speed becomes thousands of years passing on earth.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Proof exists that closer-to-light speed slows time.

Light speed should/could nullify time passage.
Faster-than-light speed (if possible) should/could reverse time.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

And even if he could have, Reese would have been bangin' on that drum so hard you could park a bus in it!

Boom...hop in the time machine...fast forward 9 months...clink...thanks for the gumball!
Rewind 9 months...
Boom...hop in the time machine...fast forward 9 months...clink...thanks for the gumball!
Rewind 9 months...
Rewind 9 months...

Rinse and repeat ad infinitum

Then they could have called the movie - Sarah Connor's Grounhog Day.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: cognizant420
a reply to: Spacespider

The only way you would still be on earth if time traveling would be to travel both space and time. As fast as the earth is moving just a couple seconds of time travel could leave you in empty space.

Oh yearh.. you just repeated what I wrote, did you read my post, lol ?

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: DBCowboy

If you're traveling to a future, then the earth in the future will be at that point that you are traveling to.

Due to the expansion of space, how can that point be in the future, when space has not expanded that far yet?

But in the future it has.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   
There is a place that time does not exist, we just have to find it, in our dreams time may not exist thus it may be possible to access the past and the future and what is occurring in both. We just need to find a way to tap into the place that dreams can do and then we will possibly discover the means of TT in what ever way is possible. Information or physical.

I think that time is not quite what we think it is and this has lead us down the proverbial garden path.

Do I think we are close to being able to achieve this or have already in some form, even if only porting information, then the answer is yes.

Technological constraints are merely a hurdle that is to be overcome as with all technological impossibilities of the past!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Hi ADL.
Nice question.
Seems to me it was already answered next week though, no ?

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   
@OP, if there is only one universe then time travel would appear to be impossible because you either have to spend energy getting all of space-time back to some prior state; or, as you pointed out, the universe hasn’t caught up yet.

That leaves us on the edge of “multi-verse” theory. And since we have only begun to test Bell’s theory we haven’t come close to any meaningful results.

So, if each particle pursues all possible paths, then maybe we could travel to some future version of the universe but would be “our” future?

Who knows?? I just had some brain juice left before getting back to slowly killing it with alcohol!! (Homer, as in Simpson)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join