It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Team Builds the First Living Robots

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

Maybe don't teach A.I how to this ok...or we could be finished.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Not going to be able to do anything there not programmed to do.

So someone indeed, just not something.

Lots of technology or tools can generally be used for a multitude of purposes.

The intent, to date, is our own.

Of course, the technology will be taken further, that's called progress.
edit on 14-1-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I think they look like a tremendous leap forward with a multitude of potential in many areas and fields.

As to what will be done with them, well that's up to us.

People are extremely troubling stuff, technology is just a tool.

As to nightmare or dreams, that depends on the purpose they are set, which will probably be many if this does what it says on the tin.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Yes, there are indeed ways to predict how things and trends will evolve and play out.

If you are in dought just ask any bookie.

It's not Skynet pal, just some extremely interesting technology with a multitude of applications and purposes.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

By other hand, someone could weaponize it or maybe these little guys one day decide they don't want to be our slaves anymore.
"If it can be weaponized, it will be weaponized" ~ T. GUT.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
This is not a baby step at all. It can change the whole game.

By other hand, someone could weaponize it or maybe these little guys one day decide they don't want to be our slaves anymore.

That could be the case, remember that they created an AI that found a way to communicate in secret and even lie to its designers so they had to shut them down.
Some day these things may just find a way to escape our control.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

That's a bit of an oversimplification, the AI created a method of communication that we could not necessarily understand.

It did not do so because it wished its creators any ill will or for any other nefarious purpose.

Some day you may be correct, after all, we seem to have made our way out of Eden.

This type of technology could bring about a lot of good on the planet as well as have the potential to be weaponized.

But its hardly the black goo from the X-files just yet nor has the potential to be anything more than a tool in the interim.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I've been enjoying this show but now it feels a little too real-

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

For now.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Indeed.

The same could be said for any other creation of Man, should we ever learn the secret of how to bestow an approximation of sentient intelligence in such.

Everything can be weaponized all the same, and humans simply don't invent tools that they don't use.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Wild, man!

What if you don't have a nucleus? Well, you are nothing but cytoplasm. OP's xenobots are stem and skin cells (i.e., w/nucleus, or protoplasm). So?

sciencedaily.com - Cytoplasm of scrambled frog eggs organizes into cell-like structures.

The basic biology class from high school told me that you need instructions, i.e., DNA, to have structures. The frog eggs had their nucleus removed via a centrifuge which scrambled them. After sitting around for a little bit they collected back into "compartments" all lined up like the original cell structure! The compartment were able to go through cell division.

Not trying to sound an alarm or scare anybody into sleepless nights wondering what xenobots are doing to your precious bodily fluids, but I am warning that we do not know how/why life emerges (as exampled by the cytoplasm article), so do we think we can expect our Frankenstein xenobot slaves to stay in the nanometer world??

OP is POC, but then comes more studies and the desire to "do something beneficial" for mankind without thinking out long term... like the grey goo that devours everything from the sci-fi story... could be disastrous.

Extremely cautious, "YAY, science!"

(for the cool tech that made this happen. Judge is still out on the long term consequences)

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Eh... this is old news. Richard Thomas played a dying man whos brother-in-law created the same thing in "The Outer Limits" back in 1995. Richard's character injected himself with them and, well... you can guess the rest. It wasn't pretty.

Link

Linked because I still cannot figure out how to imbed videos.
edit on 14-1-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Xenobots !!!

- JC

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I was waiting for this to happen , now that they have living matter it will In my opinion attract the consciousness field

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Wolfgang Kohler's field theory?

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

No I mean , now that AI have been moved from matter to living matter I think that it will now be able to attract the consciousness field

before when AI were machines they can learn and think etc, but I dont think they would ever reach true self awareness because they do not have living matter.

Now that the AI or robots with AI are being created with living matter I think that they will over time become conscious due to them being made from living matter.

just a thought

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

We are only just beginning to understand what constitutes life on our own world nevermind the rest of the universe.

All of the matter in the observable universe would fit into about 1 billion cubic light-years, or a cube that's approximately 1,000 light-years on each side.

That means that only about 0.0000000000000000000042 percent of the universe contains matter.

Comparatively speaking, that would mean life is a rather scarce commodity if matter is a requirement for it to exist.

Somehow i imagine its rather more an abundant affair, and complex in ways we are only just beginning to realize.
edit on 15-1-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   
We are the only animal that actively continuously works to destroy itself, the Earth and everything on it...and sooner or later, will succeed.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I came onto ATS years ago after sinking into the loneliest most depressing hole a person can end up in...and no, you'd think it's when you love someone who doesn't love you...I thought so too. That is until I found myself in the hole of coping with something terrible that you are the sole person on the planet who is aware of it and you are unable to tell anyone because of just how unbelievable it is.

After seeing how members often reacted to people's claims, I, thank God, decided that even here I wouldn't go the sympathetic ear I am so desperate for to this day. But this does remind me of something related to all I am condemned to suffer alone with but it related to the main issue at hand...if that makes sense...but this OP reminded me of this very incredible incident I experienced...an experience I'll be the first to admit if anyone else posted here, I would be right in the front of the line ready to call the person an attention seeking fiction pusher who went a bit too Mission Impossible with the details to be believed. But I guess that's poetic Justice because this, like the big issue I've hidden so long, is 100% true and in no way possible to have been mistaken or hallucinated. I am also an on the spectrum, animal loving, antisocial virtual misanthropic introvert whose idea of hell on Earth wuld be getting people o focus attention on me.

About eight years ago, I am suffering from a botfly. The first I've ever had. I am watching in the mirror as I pull off the scab all the picking I have done at it has caused to form...scab or hardened blood and pus I dunno. I am surprised it is still alive since it's hole has been covered with the scab or blood plug but then again, I guessed that blood and pus drying won't necessarily leave no porous surface where air can still pass so whatever. But it's moving around in me I can feel it. I take a handful of hot water and douse the area with it, about to clean around it and pop...the thing pushes through the now warm moist plug and I give it a little pressure on the sides but a few inches from it so as not to squish it or irratate it and swell the area but just to make it more likely to wiggle out. The thing shoots out of me and unfolds on the counter and immediately takes flight...wtf!? That's NOT how this works! But there it was. It flew directly upward and hovered in front of my face in between myself and the mirror. Wow. It was a chrome metallic red. Expensive chrome which has almost an irradescence to it you know? I don't want to swat it and Im Gonna be late for my scheduled day so I leave it standing sideways on the mirror and jump in the shower. In the shower I keep seeing a light so I jump out close the door and turn off the light cuz I can't pinpoint what it is. I see it and it's moving and i run up to it. OMG it's the same bug and its tail is lighting up with a brilliant bright blue. Now I really don't get it. A botfirefly!? And there hasn't been a Firefly in Phoenix for thousands of years when climates were different. I guess, though, this one must have been brought back as an egg in someone's suitcase? And mom implanted it on me after getting out? No idea and didn't know if there were tons of explanations, one, or none...but just to make sure I am not just oblivious to some species which does live here and I just never noticed, I leave it in the bathroom and run to the computer and type in the search red Firefly. Other than a bunch of fluff, there is just one actual page and it just so happens be titled ted Firefly. I open it and red Firefly is actually the name of a company. Ok..lets see...a company which took its name from the project it was contracted to head. I go to the about us page and no way, Red Firefly is a small company where we imagine, manufacture, and test nanobots which are able to self replicate and will be used to perform functions inside a patient's body once the ploymers which build themselves then replicate, are injected into the bloodstream. Any consequent products developed are for the sole ownership and use of the United States armed forces pursuant to...then some license or patent number.

Now, what had disappeared now when I went back to look for it I immediately thought was robotic and not biological or organic at all but from what i understand it was not a nanobot. In fact, it wasn't anything at all like what was being developed by red Firefly. But to this day i cannot for the life of me decide it was coincidental that a typical botfly wound is actually a surprise filled instead with a Firefly, a Firefly which looks so chrome colored that it seems fake and like a mini flying machine mimicking a bug, a fire fly...a red firefly...that no red Firefly exists in nature, and the only real thing I can find about a red Firefly is a company of that name which is developing robots to inject into the body which can then work at the molecular level to rearrange things, fight disease, do micro surgery, and deliver drugs to specific spots...and this enigma just so happened to come from inside my body.

This is serious, yes. not entertainment. Feel free to have at me though since I know I'll be too embarrassed to ever come back and read about how pathetic an attempt at a fib this is...cuz that doesn't sound very exciting to imagine I'm return for sharing something that really shook and shocked me.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

I can't see why people would poke fun at that.

Probably just glad to have gotten the little critter out of you.

I would be more wondering about what it was doing whilst it was in there all the same, aside from gestating/metamorphosing.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join