It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People think they know how to paint but they don't

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   
This is my first world rant for the day.

We are in the process of moving. We haven't decided to build or buy.
I've looked at a ton of houses.

There has been a "farmhouse" trend thanks to that show Fixer Upper.
One big design of this trend is to paint dark or wood kitchen cabinets white.
I like white cabinets except for one thing, 99.9999999999999999% of people have zero clue
how to really paint, and then 99.999999999% of people left do not know how to property paint cabinets.
Then, the remainder of those people that do know how to paint etc. only a very small portion of those people actually do a good job and know the prep steps involved.

The other downside of people painting these cabinets is that they don't know how to pick colors. Yes even whites come in a thousand different shades. Most of the time, they pick the absolutely most stark white imaginable. It looks like glowing whiteout primer. If I can tell it is DIY painted from zillow pics, that's pretty bad.

Why am I ranting about this. You would not believe the amount of houses I have seen with these ruined kitchens and bathrooms. It's one thing
if it were a few houses. No, I would say a good 60-75% (maybe more) of houses now have these DIY white poorly painted kitchens. I actually wonder if they are selling because they hate looking at them and dealing with the peeling so much. I actually saw a real estate agent ask for only houses with unpainted cabinets!

I'm not even kidding when I say the painting has now moved onto floors.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
You have to sand or scuff cabinets well before painting them. Then they need to be conditioned with a bond enhancer, it actually makes the varnish soft so the paint will stick. Then adding some penetrol helps for cabinet doors.

I have painted cabinet doors and furniture quite a bit, I asked questions from people who did it for a living after messing up a couple of times originally. Messing up makes a lifetime nightmare.

Going over previously painted cabinets, it is good to identify if it is oil or latex base paint. Going over oil with latex can often cause peeling, unless you prep the surface and use adhesion promotors.

I hate when I do a job then discover I caused more harm than good.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
A lot from the west coast will buy a brick house here in TN and then paint it white as well thinking they'll flip it quick. 4 years later and 3 in my neighborhood are still for sale despite numerous price drops.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
You have to sand or scuff cabinets well before painting them. Then they need to be conditioned with a bond enhancer, it actually makes the varnish soft so the paint will stick. Then adding some penetrol helps for cabinet doors.

I have painted cabinet doors and furniture quite a bit, I asked questions from people who did it for a living after messing up a couple of times originally. Messing up makes a lifetime nightmare.

Going over previously painted cabinets, it is good to identify if it is oil or latex base paint. Going over oil with latex can often cause peeling, unless you prep the surface and use adhesion promotors.

In addition to the very important prep work professionals often spray instead of brushing or rolling. They also know the importance of not painting in a dusty environment. Some of these people are actually painting while the door is still attached too...You would not believe some of the junk I've seen. Someone has sold these people the lie that it is easy to paint cabinets themselves.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: StratosFear
A lot from the west coast will buy a brick house here in TN and then paint it white as well thinking they'll flip it quick. 4 years later and 3 in my neighborhood are still for sale despite numerous price drops.

Luckily I have not seen that yet, but it sounds terrible. Brick is funny, it's meant to breathe.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: rickymouse

In addition to the very important prep work professionals often spray instead of brushing or rolling. They also know the importance of not painting in a dusty environment. Some of these people are actually painting while the door is still attached too...You would not believe some of the junk I've seen. Someone has sold these people the lie that it is easy to paint cabinets themselves.

I have done lots of painting in my life, and I have to say that painting furniture and cabinets properly so the paint lasts is pretty time consuming. I even have painted cars, that is easier because the paints are meant to go over the existing finish when sanded.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I hate white cabinets. Only thing worse is 'rustically painted' cabinets.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I stole a house during the recession with a lot of that going on. Nice, older home with good bones but it was on the market forever so they started doing things like you mentioned. Should have just left it alone.

It had no impact on selling it. One, there is no way to take 1973 style out of a home with paint and new hardware. It has to be completely gutted. Second, the home had a few issue like roof damage, shower tile falling apart. Should have spent the crap paint job and crap hardware money on the roof and tile repair. Ended up gutting every single room.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I hate white cabinets. Only thing worse is 'rustically painted' cabinets.

There is a cabinet in my house that was painted with faux marble. barf, seriously, barf

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

Gotta love those west coast people thinking us Tennesseans will just buy anything.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   

That's the thing!

If they ain't spraying, I ain't paying.

I've had a few sets of cupboards painted, and the people who've bid to charge me the same as a professional spray to come to the house/apartment with a roller and that's it... well they get hired ALL the time! I don't get it.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Good prep with a sprayed on enamel only. No latex.
You can even use an auto enamel then clearcoat.
Stains only for wood imo and my projects.

good rant

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I can paint like a pro but hate it. At the point in my life where rather just pay someone. Not worth my time, rather put money back in the community.

First thing is quality of paint. Have to splurge on Sherwin Williams or something comparable. Second is getting imperfections out of the wall. Sanding it, vacuum it. Get it smooth and clean. Third is mixing, get a drill attachment and mix it every hour or so and don't even think about not priming it. Last is good rollers, brushes and tape. Most pros don't use tape but you are not a pro so get the damn tape and don't be an idiot. You're going to screw up and have crappy line around molding and trim.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
We purchased a house 4 years ago, previous owner painted the brick...even the chimney. Well, that sealed the brick, and chimneys need to breathe. We paid $2000 to replace just 6 feet of chimney once we noticed the old brick was splitting and falling off.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
There is a cabinet in my house that was painted with faux marble. barf, seriously, barf

Oof. Treat it like it's infested with spiders and burn it.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Always look on the bright side of life .

It could be worse .

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zrtst
We purchased a house 4 years ago, previous owner painted the brick...even the chimney. Well, that sealed the brick, and chimneys need to breathe. We paid $2000 to replace just 6 feet of chimney once we noticed the old brick was splitting and falling off.
Hate to hear that, hopefully the splitting was due to the heat of the chimney and stays regulated to just that. If you notice the same thing happening in another place then maybe time to start looking to get as much as you can for it. I dont see how painting brick would increase the value of a house inside or out, its got such a nice look to it.

originally posted by: Fallingdown
Always look on the bright side of life .

It could be worse .

How dare you expose my painting secrets to the world!

edit on 13-1-2020 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Yes, here in Tennessee, this trend has started on painting beautiful brickwork all kinds of jacked up!
I recently saw one of the Holiday Stone houses being Painted! Eek!
It's also typical for people to paint those kitchens and cabinetry without Any prep work. It absolutely ruins classic woods.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: FreeFalling

Why do people paint bricks and stones? It just doesn't make any sense. I get that it can be done and properly, but it's rarely done properly from what I can see.

It prevents the brick from breathing, and can seal in moisture. When it ages the paint can fade and peel. Just looks like butt, and more often than not I've seen that it causes a house to lose value.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Neutral is in. Unfortunately, brick doesn’t mesh with grey, taupe, ecru, white, off white, polar white, or antique white.

I see lots of homes with that really offensively red ‘90’s brick. It’s horrible. I would paint it if I purchased a home with it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join