It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People think they know how to paint but they don't

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Huh. Interesting. I'm no painter but I have done a couple of rooms. Nothing that really needed to look good so it was slop work.

But Mom got some crappy cabinets years ago. We had some paint leftover from the kitchen renovation a while earlier so I just slopped that stuff on the cabinets. Ain't pretty, mind ya, but it's not a complete eyesore and I must say, that paint, whatever it is, is killer.

I don't use steel wool like restaurant type, just simple SOS pads that aren't so damaging and the stuff that get's sprayed around a kitchen comes off with a little elbow grease and doesn't damage the paint job. Go figure.

Anyway, resume actual thread lol.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

You would not believe the amount of houses I have seen with these ruined kitchens and bathrooms.

After almost 40 yrs of painting, I've about seen it all. Quality rarely exists anymore and true journeyman painters are almost a thing of the past. I've always had a tough time finding good qualified help. Fortunately most of my work over the years has been high end multi million dollar homes were we could do quality work we took pride in and money wasn't much of an object.

I'm very content that I'm not doing it anymore.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I painted the cabinets in the bathrooms at my old house. It took FOREVER. and you MUST use very high quality brushes.

Its something that is certainly not "worth" doing yourself, unless your time isn't very valuable. Pay a professional if its a time/value equation.

I did mine because projects like that are meditative for me, I enjoyed the projects and the outcome. Probably came out far better than if I had paid a professional, but again, the time spent was ludicrous.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 12:28 AM
link   

< chuckles > You should see my kitchen, it makes those stark Primer White kitchens look sharp. The walls are tan, the wainscotting in the dining area is a white shade of one kind or another...it goes well with the tan. But the kitchen cupboards are a total disaster -- they're hard to describe, but are on the greenish end of tan.

They're fugly and go with nothing.

The rental company we rent from has strict color rules for kitchens, but the bottom line is the paint & cabinets MUST compliment the counters & backsplash (if any) and vice versa. I don't know what the hell went wrong in this house, the green-tan isn't even in the countertop coloring o.O

When we toured the house with my late grandmother, who we were moving in the house with, they asked her what she thought of it. "It's a lovely house. Much larger on the inside than it looks on the outside, very charming! But that kitchen, who painted that kitchen? Those cupboards look like someone vomited on them." And she said it with just enough of an old lady acidy tone of voice to make everyone in earshot squirm and blush, lol.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I hate white cabinets. Only thing worse is 'rustically painted' cabinets.

My father in law decided to "antique" his cabinets one day in the early 90's. He did it the right way. Got hammered on cheap bourbon, then went at it with a blow torch. In the end, they looked like a drunk man burned them. After that, they got painted. White. Good times.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
My father in law decided to "antique" his cabinets one day in the early 90's. He did it the right way. Got hammered on cheap bourbon, then went at it with a blow torch. In the end, they looked like a drunk man burned them. After that, they got painted. White. Good times.

He's tiger blood winning.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

He's tiger blood winning.

Oddly enough, he claimed the look was "tiger stripe". Then he mumbled something about "winning", and he passed out.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Oddly enough, he claimed the look was "tiger stripe". Then he mumbled something about "winning", and he passed out.

I need to meet this man, he sounds like me on the weekend.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Quality rarely exists anymore and true journeyman painters are almost a thing of the past

It is because people are cheap and they think that painting is easy. The same for many other skills, like sewing.
People perceive it as easy, and something they could probably do. They don't realize that if you want it done well you are going to have to pay and understand it is not fast either.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Those cupboards look like someone vomited on them."

When I bought my current house, the kitchen had the ugliest "Tuscan yellow" paint, but what it
really looked like was dried urine. Seriously, the color of dried urine.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   
network dude: "Dad?"

AugustusMasonicus: "Son?"

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

He's actually older.

A lot older.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Come on, guys. They're happy little accidents.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Bob Ross (just love him) is a perfect example to use with this OP.

He was such a master and made painting look oh so easy.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Plot twist after plot twist.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1
Plot twist after plot twist.

Yeah, he has grandkids. I've never had grandkids.

However, I suspect they taste the same as regular kids so I'm open to trying them.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I refrained from making a baby eating joke, but you gotta stay young somehow.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

I'm all class, bro, if you haven't figured that out yet.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Zrtst

They didn't paint around and under the damp coursing did they?

Bricks do need to "breath" per say and that's why you can see efflorescence after heavy rains (salts on the surface of the brick) but it should be fine sealing it with paint. Cavity walls above ground shouldn't flood. Damp coursing shouldn't allow ground water to travel up the wall and if you have a basement etc it'll have some sort of drainage system set up for ground water.

Meh. The best way to add value to a brick house is getting the brickwork repointed properly. I never got painting brick but under the right circumstances a pebble dash looks nice... It's fun as hell to do too.

To add, the chimney was probably painted to cover up a damp issue that was eating away at the mortar, brick splitting is usually caused of water unnecessarily entering the brick and when It freezes chunks fall off. Back to that pointing and having it done properly! Water should splash away or be channeled by the mortar.

Anyways glad you got it sorted, $2000 out of pocket is better than a chimney crashing through your house.
edit on 15-1-2020 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2020 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join