It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should large companies be allowed to ban nicotine users from hire?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 03:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

The company I used to work for (BIG corp), had mutually (employee, fellow employees, company and insurance company) beneficial programs. Free smoking cessation help, discounts on premiums for exercising at a gym (either on-site or the nearby Lifetime - where membership was free.)

More of that kind of stuff would be good!

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
The companies could use Michael Bloomburg logic and pay their employees less.
That way, the employees won't have extra money to spend on tobacco.

Although funny, we all know that won't work. It's an addiction and smokers will choose a pack of cigarettes over a meal if they had to. I've even seen people go as far as digging in ashtrays for half smoked cigs and they are far from homeless, they are just that desperate for a cig.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I think that we don't realize how much of our freedoms we have given away for the sake of comfort, convenience, and a false sense of security.

They can't just come out and do big things like say they don't want overweight employees. The way they do it is by chipping little by little.

It is the same way property taxes have gotten so high in some areas. A dollar doesn't sound like a lot in taxes, but times five thousand little things it is. It sneaks up on you.

This is the same thing.

Maaaaaan I'd love to see them try to pull that one. 95% of all law enforcement would be out of a job.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
a reply to: JAGStorm

YES!!!!!!

Why is it smokers are allowed to take 6-7 breaks a day but non smokers can never get away with that? For example, at my place of work everyone in my dept. happen to be non smokers, we have to file work utilization reports for every MINUTE of our workday but see the salaried office people taking multiple smoke breaks all day long, and are NOT required to log that time. That is total BS. If this is going on everywhere, that's billions of dollars in labor costs lost. And yet the suits are only worried about the people who actually WORK all day.

You're complaining about your company to someone who can't change that and it's not like all companies allow this. Sounds like you need to take that up with management not with someone on a forum who can't even answer that question.

Not sure about your company but in most companies, salaried employees work more hours than hourly employees and don't get any OT for it so if they wanna take a break when they want then so be it. While you're at home enjoying your off the clock time, they are still on the clock 24 hours a day and have to work when they are needed even if it's 11pm at night. Again, not sure how your company is but the one I work for, I rather not be salaried. They put in over 12 hours a day 7 days a weeks some times, all while getting calls in the middle of their personal life.
edit on 12-1-2020 by jidnum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Companies since the 80s have done this so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

Funny thing, I think people were healthier back then also...

Are you old enough to know? When I entered the military in 1980 I saw people in their early 40s and I was thinking back then, boy I hope I don't look that bad at 40. Well today I'm 60 and I'm in 10 times better shape then those who were 40 in the 80s. BTW I do drink and smoke cigars...

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: dawnstar

Funny thing, I think people were healthier back then also...

Are you old enough to know? When I entered the military in 1980 I saw people in their early 40s and I was thinking back then, boy I hope I don't look that bad at 40. Well today I'm 60 and I'm in 10 times better shape then those who were 40 in the 80s. BTW I do drink and smoke cigars...

It's all that GMO food and preservatives. You are what you eat after all

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I don't think how military people age should be held as a standard for people who aren't in the military. I've seen baby faced eighteen years olds look like they were thirty something over the course of a few years.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   
A friend of mine just had a security position rescinded because he tested for nicotine. He occasionally uses dip. I personally find it disgusting but it's his personal choice. The other thing this is an recreational habit and he would never use dip while working.

I personally understand the economics of not hiring smokers but like the OP said this becomes a slippery slope. Alcohol with the right test can be detected within 80 hours, so employers can ban employees or not hire people who drink or use caffeine.

I understand illegal drugs and abusing prescription medications not being allowed. I would not want to work in a warehouse and have the forklift driver high on benzos or pain pills. Next thing you know he hits something and lots of people are hurt.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join