It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon Church Sued for Reporting Pedophile

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

if its pedophiles yes they should be required to

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas

What about murderers?

The thing is, as soon as anything like that becomes church policy or law, people will stop confessing to their parishioner.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Good. They should. Churches shouldn't be harbouring these confessions. It should be illegal for them to do so.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Hey, I get it. But now you're encroaching on religious freedoms, by forcing churches to snitch to Big Brother on sinners.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Hey, I get it. But now you're encroaching on religious freedoms, by forcing churches to snitch to Big Brother on sinners.

" Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant #in' Mark Twain #. 'Cause it's definitely getting chiseled on your tombstone."
-Otis
edit on 9-1-2020 by Homefree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas

What about murderers?

The thing is, as soon as anything like that becomes church policy or law, people will stop confessing to their parishioner.

They might. But the "sanctity of the confessional" is trumped by the law. The Mormon Church has a lay ministry. In other words, they don't have a professional clergy like the Catholics do. A Mormon Bishop, for example, has another job. In this case the "minister" is a pharmacist. The law specifically mentions pharmacists (teachers, etc.) as being required to report knowledge of such a crime. So here you have a situation that a woman is suing the church because a member complied with a law specifically addressing the issue. The defense: He followed the law. Let's just see a jury convicting the guy for following the law.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   

You're basically saying that pedophelia and murder is a religious freedom as long as you only tell your priest.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree

" Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be some brilliant #in' Mark Twain #. 'Cause it's definitely getting chiseled on your tombstone."
-Otis

How about "Tell it to the Catholic Church!"?

...where it is totally legal to harbor pedophiles.

(and murderers, et al)

edit on 9-1-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

You're basically saying that pedophelia and murder is a religious freedom as long as you only tell your priest.

No, I'm saying that, according to Christian doctrine and scripture, all sins are equal. Pedophilia, in God's eyes, is no greater a sin than adultery or murder. Confession is a religious rite. Religious rights are constitutionally protected, and an especially sensitive issue with this administration.

There is no law that forces clergy to turn in those who confess crimes to them, in their religious role. There is also no law that forbids it, except religious doctrine and dogma.

That's why this case is in the civil courts, and not criminal courts. Someone did something good that violated religious doctrine. Now they're getting sued by a faithful follower for a violation of their faith and trust.

No good deed goes unpunished...for those posters looking for some profound quote to make sense of nonsense.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Except there are many states where church clergy are mandatory reporters of child abuse and other crimes. It's the law.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Okay. If you say so. I hope that's true.
I don't have access to the all the facts, because I don't have access to the OP's article.

I'm just going by what I know of the confidentiality of a confessional. As far as I understand, even Scientology is covered, free and clear to not disclose crimes that have been confessed religiously.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Except there are many states where church clergy are mandatory reporters of child abuse and other crimes. It's the law.

What aren't Catholic Diocese turning over their pedophiles?

ETA: Are Catholic Priests handing over people who have confessed to child molestation to the police?

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Religion can be a catalyst for a lot of crazy thinking.

😂😂.. you’re going to blame telling blatant lies.. and covering the truth up on what religion does to people ?

Hate to break it to you but I’ve seen the same type of behaviour, and worse in atheists. 🤷🏻‍♀️

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

I don't think it's a stretch to say religion can turn some people a little crazy.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I dont know, but the law in some states says they have to.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   

a reply to: Sheye

I don't think it's a stretch to say religion can turn some people a little crazy.

There are many types of religious, so I will agree with you. But I’ve seen crazy in the entertainment industries... corporate worlds.. politics.. scientific fields.. the list goes on where the ‘culture’ can turn not only some crazy.. but many..

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   

a reply to: schuyler

Okay. If you say so. I hope that's true.
I don't have access to the all the facts, because I don't have access to the OP's article.

It's called "Duty to Report." It covers pharmacists, doctors, teachers, LE, etc. There is no exemption because of someone's religion, which is a private matter.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I've kinda gone off on an tangent, a little. My fault.

There is a difference between people who have complained to law enforcement about having been abused by clergy, and the issues of whether or not the clergy should report confessions that concern them, or be forced by law to report crimes of a certain nature, they've heard through confessions.

As far as confessions made within the confines of a religious rite, I don't believe there is a law forcing clergy to report certain criminal confessions to authorities.

As far as the "church" turning over pedophile priests, I think that's still being dealt with in the courts.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   
LINK

Update, 10 a.m. Jan. 9: On Thursday, church spokesman Eric Hawkins responded with the following statement:

"Protecting victims and ensuring proper reporting is a top priority for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Church teaches that leaders and members should fulfill all legal obligations to report abuse to civil authorities ... We are grateful for the efforts of law enforcement and prosecutors to investigate and pursue justice for those who were abused."

There is no such thing as Mormon Bishop keeping anything from the authorities. There is no confessional or promise of secrecy.

Unsurprisingly people get it all wrong like the article I can't read apparently did. You tell a Mormon Bishop you committed a serious crime, they call the police. Obeying the law and authority is one of the basic tenets of the Mormon faith. Within in a day all the members of that Bishop's Ward would know and be talking about it.

I was raised in that church, even though I'm not one now. Odd that woman ignored the 13 Articles of Faith any Mormon knows. She must be a nut job trying to put one over on the church.

She was probably ostracized by the church members, got pissed and found a really dumb attorney. You can't sue someone for reporting a crime.
edit on 1/9/2020 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join