It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon Church Sued for Reporting Pedophile

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: schuyler

Okay. If you say so. I hope that's true.
I don't have access to the all the facts, because I don't have access to the OP's article.

It's called "Duty to Report." It covers pharmacists, doctors, teachers, LE, etc. There is no exemption because of someone's religion, which is a private matter.

I was under the impression that this lawsuit stems from the violation of the confidentiality of a religious rite confession. Was the person who heard the confession actually a doctor, nurse or pharmacist? Is the defense's argument, in this lawsuit, that this was not a religious rite confession? Are they arguing that the person who reported the crime was under "Duty to Report" statutes?

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

She absolutely sounds like a nutjob.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Religious rites like confession aren't really protected by law. You have the right to practice whatever religion you deem fit, but you can't do illegal things.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I don't have access to the all the facts, because I don't have access to the OP's article.

It's called "Duty to Report." It covers pharmacists, doctors, teachers, LE, etc. There is no exemption because of someone's religion, which is a private matter.

I was under the impression that this lawsuit stems from the violation of the confidentiality of a religious rite confession. Was the person who heard the confession actually a doctor, nurse or pharmacist? Is the defense's argument, in this lawsuit, that this was not a religious rite confession? Are they arguing that the person who reported the crime was under "Duty to Report" statutes?

Where did you get there is a confidentiality anywhere for a criminal charge ?
Or , were you just under the "impression"
I vote the latter.

edit on 1/9/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 06:32 PM
link   

He was a pharmacist, as I've stated several times now. The law specifically enjoins pharmacists (among others) to report abuse. Once again, as several of us have stated several times, your religion DOES NOT absolve you from obeying the law. In terms of this CIVIL lawsuit, I doubt any court in the land would judge for the plaintiff in this case.

Can you imagine the headlines? "Court rules for wife of pedophile because the Mormon Church alerted authorities to his child abuse." Wrap your head around that idea for a minute.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Hate to break it to you but I’ve seen the same type of behaviour, in atheists.

So have I.

When humans get caught up in things that they created from their own minds it can be used to justify many types of actions.
Be it politics, sports, war, love, or even religion.

My statement is true and I promise you that this mans religion played a part in everything he did in his life.
edit on 9-1-2020 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Did she know?

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   

At any rate, this is a tricky case, I think. Can a church snitch on sinners who come to them to confess and be forgiven?

There's no law against it.

So they can if they want to.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Did she know?

She definitely knew, as she helped him get 'spiritual counselling' from the church.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Historically churches were a place of asylum for anyone.

Honestly I think it's cool that humans agreed upon a safe place for people. Even if it wasn't always true. It's nice to know that no mater how bad things get you could always ask a church for help.

It's not as true today.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Makes you wonder.

There's an argument that claims pedophilia is an illness.

Was this guy looking for help? I mean who would ever think that confessing this kind of thing to anyone would be safe?

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: RalagaNarHallas

if its pedophiles yes they should be required to

Or rape.

But I honestly think murder wold depend on who they murdered.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Damn your right.

So even if I think they should I'd never vote for it.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

But it was never true. Help was only there for a subset of people.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

He wanted to be "absolved".

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join