It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find way to deliver entire course of cancer treatment in less than a second

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   

New research may revolutionize how cancer patients are treated after showing that it’s possible to give people an entire course of radiation therapy in less than a second

has the same effect on tumors as traditional radiation therapy
Source

Scientists at the University of Pennsylvania have found a way to deliver an entire course of radiation treatment, which would normally take several weeks, in less than a second. They've shown that this new method has the same effect on tumors as normal radiation therapy - and that it's less harmful to healthy tissue.
I've seen several claimed cures for cancer, but the fact of the matter is that the traditional medical establishment still goes to radiation as a default treatment, and radiation treatment can be very difficult to go through. This is a very interesting development. I'm wondering if most, if not all of the hardships that come from radiation treatment would be eliminated when using this method.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It might not be a true cure for cancers, but I'd imagine this has the distinct potential to be a MASSIVE leg up on the extremely aggressive ones that progress fast.

We watched my sister-in-law's mom wither & die from brain cancer within a few weeks' time, it was a very fast mover. If this can give those folks hope for beating it into submission and getting a little more out of life, or a lot more, that's a battle won. The war still goes on, but every battle won counts.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

This would be wonderful.
My father died from brain cancer. One day he passed out next day we found out he had cancer a week later he was dead.
Happens fast so anything that speeds up treatment is great.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

It wont happen, they make more money charging for more treatments.
Its not about the patient, its about the green.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
That radiation therapy is very expensive compared to the traditionally available kind and there are very few places that do it at this point. The equipment is very expensive. Some insurances approve it if it is a certain kind of cancer I guess, but most of the time it is denied. Medicare and Medicaid will also approve it if it is the only option.....so in other words, most people will be denied.

They recently found that they can inject a flu vaccine into a tumor and it will trigger the immune system to destroy the tumor. It has to be close though, the vaccine is not like the real flu or a cold that triggers the whole body to fight cancer when you get it. I guess the synthetic adjuvant vaccine did not produce a response against cancer for some reason. It is in preliminary stages of research, it was probably done on mice or rats that were implanted with cancer or something. I did not read all of that research, just that the vaccine needs to be put right into the tumor to work.

Getting a cold every year is not a bad thing, it triggers our body to fight cancer and tumors. But not all types of cancer, everything has it's limitation. It fights by immunotherapy. I suspect as cancer is uncovered from hiding the immune system ramps up more and that can cause a severe cytokine storm sometimes.

You got to wonder if the reason people die from the flu is because they have cancer growing in their body that the immune system discovered when the person got the flu.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Why people want to live forever is beyond me.

No one is going to poison and irradiate me to death to extend my life by a couple of years.

It ain't worth it.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

No one is going to poison and irradiate me to death to extend my life by a couple of years.

It ain't worth it.

Ummm...well...maybe not to you...

For me...there are way too many hills to climb...and far too many valleys to explore on the far side of those hills...

Frankly...I would love to have the ability to visit and explore every planet...in every star system...and every sight on every one of those planets...

A..."To boldly go"...kind of hankering...

Not only that...I don't steep my..."self"...in pessimism...my glass is always half full...and every day is good...even when it's bad...even in the midst of great physical pain....or great psychological pain...the wonder of it all still resides...

It's a frame of mind kind of thing...

I loosed...let go the guilt for being human...let go the constant negativity...nor do I harbor hatred...or cultivate enemies...

Which coincidentally...if I happen to piss on anyone here on the boards...please consider it fertilizer...for a fertile mind...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

It's not about living forever, it's about not dying horribly before your time.

It's absolutely worth it.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Living forever isn't really the point here though. If I suddenly got the bad message from my doctor, I would fight inch by inch with whatever it took to see my kids for as long as possible.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: zrexx

It wont happen, they make more money charging for more treatments.
Its not about the patient, its about the green.

Most of these game changing treatments hit the news cycle, get hyped, then poof!! Gone. I was reading about the recent dental breakthrough: Regrowing teeth, remember that one? Me too, from almost 20 years ago.

😒

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Yeah, i hate when i read about these new amazing treatments that are available to the ELITE.

Regular people will see these... Never, well maybe in 2081 when the chosen ones are living in some utopia glass dome city on Mars.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
They recently found that they can inject a flu vaccine into a tumor and it will trigger the immune system to destroy the tumor.

I read a long time ago that direct injection of medical grade ozone into a tumor will destroy it very quickly.

For brain tumors, you can do ear insufflation of ozone.

Ozone is powerful medicine.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I can certainly attest to how hard going for radio therapy is on a daily basis, it is all consuming both emotionally and physically, my partner currently is undergoing said treatment for a grade 3 brain tumor and it is wearing her down, the fact she has to attend (for her benefit) each day and the effects along with the numerous tablets to help prevent seizures are clearly having a massive effect on her. If radio therapy is to be the most recognised and effective treatment then any reduction would be beneficial, one of the effects she has is the build up of heat in her head would this be alleviated by such a reduction in timescale or would it be the same as the dosage would be the same.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Tell that to your children when you get the news.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: zrexx
Medicare says what is and what isn't. Dermatologists often pass open wounds from skin cancer removal to a plastic surgeon because Medicare won't pay them for closure of the wound, where it is perfectly all right to leave the wound open while you travel to another office blocks away to have it closed.

Your government at work here. They will pay for a new patient referral, and treatment by a plastic surgeon but not to the dermatologist. Smart!

I am first hand witness to this crap.

edit on 9-1-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

It's now all digital. 1s and 0s, on or off, true or not true. There are no variables incorporated into their programming. They have taken humanity out of their process. It's capitalism taking control of our health.
edit on 9-1-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   

It ain't worth it.

I often wonder why people think further medical advancement is a necessity at this point. Why must we live longer than we already do? It seems to me we have reached an optimal age expectancy in the developed world where for the most part a great majority of us can expect to grow old enough to see that our offspring have successfully transitioned into adulthood, no longer need our help, and further we start to be a burden on them (both in the immediate as they must care more and more for our aged bodies, and by competing against them for resources). A great majority of us can expect to grow old enough to not only see the fruits of our own labours but find our lives become more and more routine.

What is to be gained by living another 10 years? 20 years? When do we hit a point of diminishing returns? When does life start to feel cheaper as it becomes more abundant for us. One of the things that make life exciting is the fact that it is finite ... why seize the day when there is so many tomorrows.

Perhaps it is time to turn our medical fervency away from the pursuit of "living for ever" to expanding the quality of life for the so many who can't enjoy what we already do.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

You're the only person here who makes any damn sense.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat

It ain't worth it.

I often wonder why people think further medical advancement is a necessity at this point. Why must we live longer than we already do? It seems to me we have reached an optimal age expectancy in the developed world where for the most part a great majority of us can expect to grow old enough to see that our offspring have successfully transitioned into adulthood, no longer need our help, and further we start to be a burden on them (both in the immediate as they must care more and more for our aged bodies, and by competing against them for resources). A great majority of us can expect to grow old enough to not only see the fruits of our own labours but find our lives become more and more routine.

What is to be gained by living another 10 years? 20 years? When do we hit a point of diminishing returns? When does life start to feel cheaper as it becomes more abundant for us. One of the things that make life exciting is the fact that it is finite ... why seize the day when there is so many tomorrows.

Perhaps it is time to turn our medical fervency away from the pursuit of "living for ever" to expanding the quality of life for the so many who can't enjoy what we already do.

You do know that babies and young children, teens and young adults get cancer don't you? If you get shot, cut your leg off, fall down a steep hill, get in an injury accident, have Diabetes......you get medical treatment to save your life. How did a thread posted to show new procedures to fight cancer turn into philosophy of elongating life.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Thats a fine point ... but than again babies in the third world die of malnutrition.

My supposition stands. "Perhaps it is time to turn our medical fervency away from the pursuit of "living for ever" to expanding the quality of life for the so many who can't enjoy what we already do. "
edit on 9-1-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Oops
edit on 9-1-2020 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join