It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would commercial planes change flight paths?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
[snipped]

Why would commercial planes get a weird flight path? In the 19 years I've been here, all air traffic has been quite south of my house. Tonight, every plane is way north.

We have no storms, so I'm a bit confused. My neighbors asked if I've ever seen this before and I haven't. I'm sure there's a really simple answer, but I can't think of one.

Thoughts?
edit on Thu Dec 12 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Maybe they have to approach from the opposite direction due to construction on the runway.

(post by carsforkids removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Is there a power plant on the approach/departure paths used by the airport? I know here there's a simple cycle combustion turbine plant that when in use for peak times, when in use they have to redirect the flight paths due to the exhaust the plant puts out.

Not saying that's it, but it's a possible explanation.

Edit: Looking at Google maps, there is Edwards power station south of the airport.
edit on 12/12/19 by Hypntick because: Additional info

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: carsforkids

I'm one of the few true conservatives on this site and I welcome insults... Calling me a dem is over the top though! Ya intolerant ist/ism/etc...

Seriously though, two neighbors asked why so many planes were taking the path they are. All I could come up with is we live near an airport and there's some kind of problem.

There's some extremely smart aviation experts on this site that will school me, and I'll go repeat that info like I know WTF I'm talking about. I'm special like that!

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Chemtrails?

There's some extremely smart aviation experts on this site that will school me, and I'll go repeat that info like I know WTF I'm talking about. I'm special like that!

I some times realize I've done that just as I start walking away . That's when
I shrug my shoulders and tell myself, " Eh What the hell it was better than lying" lol
edit on 12-12-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Weather over you isn't the only factor. High altitude winds change, weather along the flight path away from your location forces them to change course, military operations if there's an MOA nearby.... there are a couple dozen reasons why.

There's a NOTAM for an airborne VOR checkpoint being out of service into January. So that may be changing their routing.
edit on 12/12/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
I'm putting this in the pit so y'all don't have to hold back on the insults I deserve.

Why would commercial planes get a weird flight path? In the 19 years I've been here, all air traffic has been quite south of my house. Tonight, every plane is way north.

We have no storms, so I'm a bit confused. My neighbors asked if I've ever seen this before and I haven't. I'm sure there's a really simple answer, but I can't think of one.

Thoughts?

Aircraft these days follow flight paths generated from vast amounts of weather and atmospheric data. The goal is usually to to maximize fuel efficiency.

At various atmospheric levels, there are strong wind currents (jet streams) that are fairly constant and reliable. Where a prevailing wind can propel a 'plane further faster or for less fuel, it is the preferred path.

If you are closer to an airport, the choice of approach vector increasingly depends upon runway orientation and airport capacity. As it is the peak air travel season, it could be that air traffic is exceeding the safe capacity of the few most optimal runways and that less optimal runways are called in to play to handle the excess traffic.

(post by LordAhriman removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Unlikely it's weather; It could be a navaid issue as Zaphod points out, or one of the other reasons departure/arrival patterns change is due to noise regulations / restrictions.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Thanks for this thread!

I live near an airport and the only flights that go over my house are normally between 10-11PM, I can count on those 2 flights like clockwork.

I always wondered why very rarely they would fly over my house at other times, and sometimes quite low.

Now I know.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Next time call the airport and ask them instead of setting me
up in the mud pit please.

OUCH !

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

The obvious answer is to chemtrail you.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Other than weather, as stated, could be military operations. You've Howard East MOA that lines up with anything coming in on a long final for RWY 4 at General Downing. No NOTAMs or anything around those parts though.

top topics

join