It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco’s ‘poor street conditions’ a factor in city’s loss of Oracle tech conference

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Those stats aren't true. I've worked in Bossier City since the 90's and outside of one bad neighborhood in South Bossier, it's very safe, especially North Bossier where that house I posted is located. There were 3 murders in 2010 (South Bossier man broke into a store in South Bossier and shot the three employees) and it was a 300% increase in the murder rate. However, every morning when the local news comes on, there is another murder in Shreveport, or another shooting. The good people are leaving in droves.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I understand that most of you would probably let these people die before having to deal with dirty sidewalks. That’s kind of a right wing thing.

How many people have died from using a toilet? Would it be so terrible to have these folks just use port-a-potties set up throughout the city?

How many people have died from not having crap and needles on the sidewalks? Would it be so terrible to, oh, I don't know, clean the sidewalks once in a while?

On the other hand, people have died from having crap lying around. Ever hear of the Bubonic Plague? It wiped out a large part of Europe, and it was transmitted by fleas that lived on the rats that were attracted by the raw sewage.

I can’t agree with that. I’ll gladly give up a little temporary comfort if it means the city can give these people a chance to get back on their feet. And that’s not because of any political ideology, it’s because it’s the right thing to do.

I'm thoroughly confused now. How does taking a dump on the sidewalk help anyone get back on their feet? Seems to me that helping these people would consist of something a little more... sanitary?

These are serious questions. I am not asking over some political ideology either; I am asking because I honestly cannot understand your position. You also have mentioned needle exchange... OK, I can at least understand that, as it would probably reduce the number of addicts using dirty needles... but why not require an exchange? Just make the users pick up a needle off the sidewalk to get a new one? Is that so terrible? It would at least stop the spread of needles just lying around to some degree. I mean really, if someone isn't willing to pick up one needle and bring it in to get a clean one, they really are beyond hope living on their own. They're going to die like that. They need more than a clean needle, and chances are they'll use the dirty needles anyway.

That's not even getting into the reasoning behind how allowing them to fight the addiction alone, something that almost never works, with government assistance in making sure their needles are clean, is in any way helping them be anything more than a drug addict. Drug addiction is a downward spiral that ends in death... we had one meth user only a short distance from me die the other night. We saw the ambulance coming home, saw it parked with lights flashing at her house, and then, while going in the house, saw the ambulance as it turned the lights off coming back. The interior lights were still on.

Now, I don't know how meth is ingested, but would giving her the means to use it have prevented her death? If so, how? I honestly do not understand. Contrary to what you have insinuated, I didn't want her to die; I wanted her to have a good long life. I wanted her to have the things she wanted in life. I wanted her to be happy, healthy, strong... the meth wanted her to not have these things. No one could fight for her over the addiction. No one could save her because of the addiction. Several people actually tried, and all failed.

Please, help me to understand this difference in perspective.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Aren't you following along?

We're discussing how the people there aren't the sharpest lightbulbs in the toolshed.

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

What’s sickening and demeaning to humanity at large is how you see other people as being less deserving of the things you have.

Do you understand HOW I got what I have?

No one gave it to me.

I got it by NOT doing drugs.
I got it by NOT shi**ing on the sidewalk.
I got it by NOT spending work days wearing a vagina suit or penis hat and protesting.
I got it by getting myself an education, which I paid for.
I got it by honing my interview skills.
I got it by applying for jobs.
I got it by showing up for work.
I got it by working hard.
I got it by not bitching at the owner of my company for making more money than I do (he cuts my checks, so I am glad he is making money)

If the people you refer to as "deserving of what I have" have done ALL of that, then they probably already have as much or more than what I have. AMERICA IS BEAUTIFUL

You and your type (yep, I went there) really have no place trying to run society....because in every major city and every opportunity afforded you, you FAIL!

Thats all I have for now, plus I wouldn't want to keep you from popping on your protest hat and sh***ing in the street because someone worked harder and EARNED more than you. Have at it lefty.

Dorian Soran

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Hm. With so many rich people there, why is this such a hard thing to fix with taxes?

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   

a reply to: Lumenari

Is your virtue signal over princess?

We’ve really reached a sad place in human society when someone such as yourself can write off trying to limit the pain and suffering of others as a bad thing.

Are you really doing that? How many people did you witness get clean and stay clean?

posted on Dec, 12 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Because you have more people making a living off the homeless than you have homeless. It's big business looking like your taking care of them with 23 different government agencies

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

a reply to: Krakatoa

has driven this once golden city into a gold covered turd of a city.

I guess that’s why rent is so cheap there.

People will take it for awhile, but, eventually residents will go elsewhere, and rent will drop accordingly. Who wants to live in a toilet?

I live east of SF by 80 miles. Many people are relocating to here, and commuting daily

I lived in San Francisco for over 3 years, North Beach/Chinatown and the Tenderloin. It’s one of the best places I’ve ever lived.

It’s obvious to me that everyone here just gets their information about San Francisco from virtue signaling right wingers mad about liberals.

I've been to this conference - my hotel was past the airport and still $300/night. There were people, some with megaphones, shouting nonsense at attendees all day and night- some anti-capitalist screeds, some anti-CIA-mind-control-satellites. Panhandlers everywhere. My boss had his wallet stolen his first day there. At an evening event at a downtown hotel, I noted the smell of urine and feces coming from the service alley, and oh wait, is that guy taking a dump by the dumpster? And on the way out of town, my bag was stolen at SFO. I was there two days.

And do tell me, why have all the tech companies gone to unmarked white buses to transport their employees?

My friend lives in a 60-year-old 3-br rambler on a .25 acre lot in Palo Alto - homes in her neighborhood have been bought by rich Chinese for $3m and are empty - "ghost" houses, they're called. I was there last week, in a coastal town - I noticed in the mornings, an exodus of vans leaving the street nearby - where they city allowed the mobile homeless to live. They have jobs, but have to live in their vans.

The geography there is beautiful. But it's terribly expensive, overcrowded, and there's really not much in the way of cultural attractions at all.

The question I have isn't why did they move the conference, it's why haven't Facebook, Google, Apple, etc, moved their operations to places where their employees could actually afford to live?

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Those on the right I have come across are no better when it comes to solutions for the homeless. Some on the right have suggested forced work camps which is a Communist solution.

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

And some on the left have stated that giving the homeless a shelter is oppressing them.

Until we can agree on what the problem is, no one can fix anything. Left/right arguments are nothing more than a desire for things to stay exactly as they are. Solutions are the only way to fix anything.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 13 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: jacobe001

And some on the left have stated that giving the homeless a shelter is oppressing them.

Until we can agree on what the problem is, no one can fix anything. Left/right arguments are nothing more than a desire for things to stay exactly as they are. Solutions are the only way to fix anything.

TheRedneck

Yup, then soon you get this type of entitled behavior from them. Oregon today, SF tomorrow?
Oregon beggar sentenced to jail after causing over $9,000 in damage because no one was giving her money, report says

edit on 12/13/2019 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell

Because you have more people making a living off the homeless than you have homeless. It's big business looking like your taking care of them with 23 different government agencies

I know. I was being facetious.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: mikell

I know. I was being facetious.

You know, it's OK to do that on the streets of SF now.

Being "fecesious".... LOL

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DorianSoran

I got it by NOT doing drugs.
I got it by NOT shi**ing on the sidewalk.
I got it by NOT spending work days wearing a vagina suit or penis hat and protesting.
I got it by getting myself an education, which I paid for.
I got it by honing my interview skills.
I got it by applying for jobs.
I got it by showing up for work.
I got it by working hard.
I got it by not bitching at the owner of my company for making more money than I do (he cuts my checks, so I am glad he is making money)

My one son accomplishing EE degree asked me how can he be successful on his first job. I told him if he wanted to shine better than 60% of the working force just do these three things.

1. Never be later for work. 5 mins late all the time makes you look like a loser no matter how good you are.
2. Never be Drunk or high
3. Come back to work after lunch..

Congrats!! You are now in the upper 50% quality work force...lol

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

You know, it's OK to do that on the streets of SF now.

Being "fecesious".... LOL

People need to crap, period... When you become a homeless friendly city and you have zero infrastructure to support is it really a surprise that the homeless come and crap on your streets? All the businesses put combos on their bathrooms too, so there is literary no place for them to go.

San Fran needs to put their money where their mouth is...

A Porta Potty services about 50 people and with 10,000 homeless that is 200 Porta Potties. Long term rental for like 200 would cost 250.00 per month per unit, or $600,000 per year to service 10,000 homeless...

Not big numbers here, AND if San Fran snowflakes really cared, people could do something like adopt a porta potty at $2500 per year. If I lived in that crappy city, pun intended, that is what I would do. Put up or shut up would be my line to all the businesses and rich people to include the Goverment.

We can call it the RACE TO 200!!

edit on 14-12-2019 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

*facepalm*

Alright, alright. Get outta here, and take your star with you.

posted on Dec, 14 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Whoa... common sense! You'll have to give me a moment to absorb that. It's been a while.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join