It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Francisco’s ‘poor street conditions’ a factor in city’s loss of Oracle tech conference

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Just like in NYC right, and London England right?

link   
a reply to: underwerks

then why do they ship their homless to hawaii ? or bus them out the city www.sfchronicle.com...

www.nytimes.com...

www.sfexaminer.com...

Add to that stepped up police enforcement with a specialized neighborhood crime unit and a ban of encampments on sidewalks with authority to remove them within 24 hours after offering shelter — two measures that are expected to go before voters in November — and those bus tickets could start looking a lot more appealing to San Francisco’s homeless. Critics, however, say such efforts are sure to make life without a home more challenging, despite the much-praised caring spirit of a city named after the patron saint of the poor, St. Francis. Homeless residents and their advocates appreciate the Greyhound service but are critical when city leaders call it a solution to homelessness. They also consider it misleading, if not outright lying, to count homeless people bused out of town as housed — which The City does. It may also come as a surprise to some that Homeward Bound is considered a primary homeless program for San Francisco; there’s even a city goal to house about half the homeless The City serves and to bus away the other half.

and i visited sf a lot in my youth (i grew up in the bay in santa clara county) its worse now then it was in the 90's and early 2000's the pee smell was always there mixed with the salt air but thats any major city but i never saw any poo on the sidewalks tell the latter 2000's ,the odd drug needle near the tenderloin/Haight-ashbury but back then if i was seeing drugs it was the stoners and hippies visiting from berkley and your big city wineos that come with any homeless population in a big city brown bagging it . the homeless encampments have always been there but apparently getting much worse (no where near LA skiddrow levels mind you) and i spent a lot of time there from 2006-2012 when i worked as a cash drop off man for the CC's (odd how they set them up near the PD station initially lol) and to pretend its not worse then it was in the old days is semi disingenuous

www.sfchronicle.com... on the problems

www.theguardian.com... the real problem is the NIMBY's that tolerate them as long as they "know their place" and stay out of the ritzy areas

When residents from one of San Francisco’s most desirable neighborhoods launched a crowdfunding appeal to block a new homeless shelter, the controversial tactic drew an angry response from the city’s mayor. Their campaign on GoFundMe, best known as a site that hosts fundraisers for medical expenses or victims of natural disasters, has raised around $70,000 from hedge fund managers, executives and authors, which will be used to pay for an attorney. But it also spurred supporters of the shelter to try to beat them at their own game. Since launching on Thursday, a rival GoFundMe has amassed over $73,000. And it had drawn hefty contributions of $10,000 each from the Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff, the Twilio CEO Jeff Lawson and from the company GoFundMe itself. The San Francisco resident who created it, William Fitzgerald, said that the dollars rolling in on the other side shocked him into action. “They clearly don’t like people who don’t have the same amount of money in their bank account as they do, they clearly don’t like people who look different, who sleep outside at night.”

then there are the constant overwhelming hoops you have to jump through to build high capacity housing due to over regulation in ca en.wikipedia.org...

Causes Since the 1960s, San Francisco and the surrounding Bay Area have enacted strict zoning regulations.[6] Among other restrictions, San Francisco does not allow buildings over 40 feet tall in most of the city, and has passed laws making it easier for neighbors to block developments.[7] Partly as a result of these codes, from 2007 to 2014, the Bay Area issued building permits for only half the number of needed houses, based on the area's population growth.[8] At the same time, there has been rapid economic growth of the high tech industry in San Francisco and nearby Silicon Valley, which has created hundreds of thousands of new jobs. The resultant high demand for housing, combined with the lack of supply, (caused by severe restrictions on the building of new housing units[9]) have caused dramatic increases in rents and extremely high housing prices.[10][11][12] For example, from 2012 to 2016, the San Francisco metropolitan area added 373,000 new jobs, but permitted only 58,000 new housing units.[13]

www.vox.com... and now its effecting O town and what is Oklands solution to their homeless issue they want to put them on cruse ships in the bay ,you know out of sight and out of mind . but yeah its those evil republicans doing this right? last time i checked the dems pretty much own all offices of note in the bay area

link   
a reply to: putnam6

Actually I was just in Seattle. It is as gross and nasty as people say SF is. It was totally filthy, even the airport. Graffitti on signs on the freeway. Tons of garbage, yes garbage piled under the bridges that run under the city and the main freeway travels through. Nasty, just nasty.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: LSU2018
a reply to: Blue Shift
Farmers and other people in rural areas don't leave to go to the city.

If you say so.

Rural person here. Kentucky and Tennessee. Who moved to Los Angeles, San Francisco, then Seattle.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: Lumenari

I can’t agree with that. I’ll gladly give up a little temporary comfort if it means the city can give these people a chance to get back on their feet. And that’s not because of any political ideology, it’s because it’s the right thing to do.

So give these people free needles to do their drugs with and let them crap on the streets...

Because it's the humane and right thing to do.

Your ideology is sickening and totally demeaning to humanity at large.

What’s sickening and demeaning to humanity at large is how you see other people as being less deserving of the things you have.

If you knew anything about needle exchanges, you’d know about the lives they save and how they reduce diseases in an already at risk population. Your way of prohibition and making things harder for the least among us is why society is where it is now.

Thank god there are people out there who don’t think like you. Who actually understand the problems and have the balls to implement solutions that address these problems instead of trying to sweep the problems, and by extension people under the rug.

I feel proud I’ll never be a part of that ideology.

You got a house? Take some in. Feed them. Give them money. Don't preach to everyone else about what they should be doing, set the example and stop depending on everyone else to do what you think they need to do.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Graffitti on signs on the freeway.

My friends in Seattle are part of one of the biggest graffiti crews in the PNW. You probably saw some of their art.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

If you say so.

Rural person here. Kentucky and Tennessee. Who moved to Los Angeles, San Francisco, then Seattle.

Forget it. Don't wanna offend anyone and get zapped.
edit on 11-12-2019 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:55 PM
link   

a reply to: The2Billies

Graffitti on signs on the freeway.

My friends in Seattle are part of one of the biggest graffiti crews in the PNW. You probably saw some of their art.

Tubular,

Do they use paint or the free feces on the side of the streets?

I'd use the poop, way more of an artistic statement about capitalism and the machine(of which we are raging against).

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   

I can’t agree with that. I’ll gladly give up a little temporary comfort if it means the city can give these people a chance to get back on their feet. And that’s not because of any political ideology, it’s because it’s the right thing to do.

So give these people free needles to do their drugs with and let them crap on the streets...

What’s sickening and demeaning to humanity at large is how you see other people as being less deserving of the things you have.

If you knew anything about needle exchanges, you’d know about the lives they save and how they reduce diseases in an already at risk population. Your way of prohibition and making things harder for the least among us is why society is where it is now.

Thank god there are people out there who don’t think like you. Who actually understand the problems and have the balls to implement solutions that address these problems instead of trying to sweep the problems, and by extension people under the rug.

Is your virtue signal over princess?

To the point...

Your ideology is all about people being taken care of by taxpayers through the government.

As opposed to extolling the virtues of self-sufficiency.

A system inherently designed to fail, fortunately for those of us who can take care of ourselves.

Unfortunately, it will eventually kill off all that you mistakenly think you (not you personally, of course!) are trying to "help".

Something you are too short-sighted to even comprehend.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Self sufficient people are a waste because they can take care of themselves and be independent. Alt-lefties hate people like that.
edit on 11-12-2019 by LSU2018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   

You got a house? Take some in. Feed them. Give them money. Don't preach to everyone else about what they should be doing, set the example and stop depending on everyone else to do what you think they need to do.

I worked at a needle exchange in the Tenderloin. I helped hand out food at Food not Bombs in SF. I know these neighborhoods. I know these people. I know how valuable the “crazy liberal programs” you guys talk about are. Without them disease would be even more rampant and people would be dying left and right. It’s obvious you’re ok with that. And that’s fine. There isn’t a law anywhere that says you have to care about other people.

Just don’t try to throw that in peoples face like it’s a moral thing to do. I think the politics of most people in this thread has led them to a place where they don’t even consider these people as being people. Just a point in an argument.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Ok.. and sure a sh!t wasn't sarcastic.

It's sure as he'll ain't easy to just move on a whim. But there are moments where you need to make a better life. Don't over pay for a better life.

NV, Tenn, Florida has made it easier ( oops I think Delaware too ) made it an easier adjustments as well.

I can't say much more.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

And look, you're not even there anymore. I consider them people, but those people need to be offered an opportunity to get on their feet. Not given just enough to make it by until the same time tomorrow. Stop giving and start teaching. That'll help them a lot more than keeping them on your teet.

link   
a reply to: Hypntick

www.bobvila.com... for what its worth this is what they claim to be the cleanest large cities in america .honnolulu is number one thats firmly left ,then Dallas fort worth which i think is one of team R's they pay the homeless to clean the city and it seems to be working , then Orlando which is a hybrid dem republican they also have their own clean team and pays homeless to clean the streets . wilmlington SC is number 6 and is republican i think

but good call on japan as they are pretty republican in some ways and i guess democratic in others (look at Japan immigration policy that makes our current one under trump look left leaning)

link   

Is your virtue signal over princess?

We’ve really reached a sad place in human society when someone such as yourself can write off trying to limit the pain and suffering of others as a bad thing.

“Virtue signaling”

Only to a non-virtuous person would virtue be a bad thing. Thank god there are still people in this world who haven’t let lying political pundits influence how they act towards other people.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
Ok.. and sure a sh!t wasn't sarcastic.

It's sure as he'll ain't easy to just move on a whim. But there are moments where you need to make a better life. Don't over pay for a better life.

NV, Tenn, Florida has made it easier ( oops I think Delaware too ) made it an easier adjustments as well.

I can't say much more.

I moved on a whim to SF. I was homeless there. I slept on benches in the parks, and occasionally I would have an SRO Hotel. I relied on these programs and saw them first hand every day. I was a hobo by choice, just to see what it was like. All my literary heroes at the time were the hobos of the beat generation. And San Francisco was their home base.

I lived in these neighborhoods and know the people first hand. Which is why I have a problem with people who have never spent any time in this kind of environment trying to lecture me on what it is.

Believe it or not, how places like San Francisco are portrayed by right wing pundits isn’t reality.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Yeah it's fun looking at what one may find. I was ecstatic when I landed what I have.

For 400 hundred acres I'd call out Bezos. I'm contempt, well i paid off my dept. My goal is to comfortably live out the rest of my days.

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

On that list I've been to 8 out of the 10 cleanest, and 9 of the dirtiest. I'll use an example from the article though, aside from population density, Denver and NYC are about equal when it comes to cleanliness based on my experience. I'm curious as to what their scoring rubric is, as it does mention air quality, which is all over the place in this country.

The culture in Japan lends itself well toward a blend of both republican (immigration for example) and democratic (medical care - a quick clinic visit for a foot injury cost me $35 as a non-citizen). It's a shame that we can't get that here in the states, but I think the level of cultural diversity in this country makes it impossible.

Edit: Anecdote time, when I was in Denver a couple of years back I was discussing the homeless situation with an Uber driver from Africa who had been in the city almost 20 years. He did make mention of how the homeless seem to migrate from CA to CO based on the seasons, and it had gotten considerably worse over the last 5 years or so.
edit on 12/11/19 by Hypntick because: Anecdote

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   

If you say so.

Sounds like the theme song from the "Beverly Hillbillies"

posted on Dec, 11 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Yeah it's fun looking at what one may find. I was ecstatic when I landed what I have.

For 400 hundred acres I'd call out Bezos. I'm contempt, well i paid off my dept. My goal is to comfortably live out the rest of my days.

Exactly my goal too.

I'm paid off and really have no bills except fun ones that are less than 10% of my takehome.

Getting ready soon to call the working for a living thing quits and work on my first book.

And maybe ATS binge the first few weeks.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join