It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Chechen Rebel Leader Killed by Russian Forces

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Sky News has just reported that the Chechen rebel leader Asland Maskhadov has been killed. The news comes from inside Russia. Many of you may remember Chechen rebel group being responsible for many years of discomfort for Mr. Putin and last years school siege in Beslan, Russia, where many children lost their lives.

www.sky.com
Chechen rebel leader Asland Maskhadov has been killed, Russian forces have said.

A Russian spokesman said Maskhadov had been killed during a "special operation".

According to the Interfax news agency he was killed in Tolstoy-Yurt - a village in northern Chechnya under the control of Russian forces.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Clearly Maskhadov got his just desserts for the atrocity his group was responsible Beslan. An unexpected victory for the war on terror. This news breaks while Bush is giving a speech on how well the war on terror is going. Won’t he be pleased. This is defiantly a victory for Putin. What remains for the rest of the Chechen rebels is yet to be seen, but I’m guessing their not just going to lay down their arms because their leader died.

Related News Links:
www.themoscowtimes.com

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Further

Sanc'.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I like it, just goes to show that Russia does not F%$# around. Maybe we should ask those guys for some help with OBL.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ishes
What remains for the rest of the Chechen rebels is yet to be seen, but I’m guessing their not just going to lay down their arms because their leader died.

Mashadov didn't have that much power anyway, even though he was a figure of some authority. A large fraction of field commanders reported to the likes of Basayev and the late Hattab (an Arab fanatic who fought in Checnya for a long time and appeared to attract some funding from abroad).

Bottomline, it ain't over till the fat lady sings. Too bad. I wish the peace came sooner.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Aelita]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
is there just one "Chechen rebel group"? or many? Most terrorist outfits have many heads, many factions. Kill one head and the other crows triumph and takes over.

That would be like the US saying there is just a single "extremist Muslim terrorist group". Kill that leader, and the problem is solved...

no, wait a minute...everything's about Al-Quaida..and bin Laden. The Right concentrates solely on finding and defeating this one leader, and neglects other problems. The left says "see, no direct connection to bin Laden!" and thinks therefore there is no problem worth acting on.

My country is totally run by morons, idiot-savants, communists, fanatics, and selfish, greedy sociopaths. Where's that mega tsunami for the East Coast (hell, West too while we're at it) to give this country an enema?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
That would be like the US saying there is just a single "extremist Muslim terrorist group". Kill that leader, and the problem is solved...

In all fairness, and despite what I said in a previous post, there is a big difference between the amorphous (and somewhat abstract) Muslim terrorist movement and a concrete ethnic group such as Chechens. Removing Mashadov does make a greater difference than OBL, in relative terms.

My country is totally run by morons, idiot-savants, communists, fanatics, and selfish, greedy sociopaths. Where's that mega tsunami for the East Coast (hell, West too while we're at it) to give this country an enema?

I live right in the Coast and certainly hope the tsuname doesn't happen.
And I fail to see this country being run by Communists. Morons, yes.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Maskhadov dead
, if this is really true this is big news.Unlike what the kremlin vampire Vlad the derailer would like you to believe, Maskhadov wasn't behind Beslan, it was his former renegade underling Basayev.But assPutin (oblivious to the absence of any verifiable proof) hastily seized upon the Beslan tragedy to falsely implicate the former president as well in the school horror by quickly offering a Maskhadov/Basayev combined $10 million reward to forever link them together in the eyes of the naive world,resulting in the garnering of new world support for his ongoing Ichkeria/Chechnya genocide while cleverly expediting the extinction of 2 most formidable raptors with one sickle.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Well that does strongly resemble him with expected bloating post mortem.I won't be surprised to see some rather vicious reprisals by Chechen rebels in the upcoming weeks. Normally they are a tough bunch,but now with the fatal blow being delivered to any hope of restoring their de facto prez to power,I expect we'll see a whole new level of calculated rabidness.

top topics

join