It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mr Men book caught up in sexism row after student, 24, accuses Mr Clever of 'mansplaining'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

Interesting... if I had read this book to my kids, I think we would have had a very different perspective.

It was actually a very astute observation on Miss Curious' part and a perfectly cromulent question. Not sure who/what Mr. Clever is or why Mr. Clever was too arsed by the little girl's question to use the opportunity to explain homonyms, alternate spellings, etc. I sure hope he isn't the girl's (or anyone's) teacher!

It seems to me that Miss Curious comes off MUCH better in this tale than Mr. (not so) Clever...

Yes clearly Mr Clever has issues and they could be fleshed out
So why winge about the story, it portrays Mr Clever as arrogant and self centred, it’s sexism, not all men are like that
Mansplaining or woman complaining as usual about everything that doesn’t suit them 🙄😁

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew
The most worrying thing about all this is that Little Miss Stupid from Stirling has a vote in the General Election next week :O

Thats a good one.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I'm gonna say a 24 year old woman crying about a kids book.

Is about is stupid as it gets.

Mrs Judge, who has studied feminist issues and lives in Glasgow, shared a picture of the book on social media with the caption ‘Mr Mansplain’.

Maybe she should have taken classes that would be USEFUL in real life.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
originally posted by: Boadicea

Yes clearly Mr Clever has issues and they could be fleshed out...

Yup! Seems to me he would have been just as dismissive of a boy as a girl. He just didn't want to be bothered and interrupted by anyone!

So why winge about the story, it portrays Mr Clever as arrogant and self centred, it’s sexism, not all men are like that
Mansplaining or woman complaining as usual about everything that doesn’t suit them 🙄😁

I just don't know why this woman went there... or why other women went there... except when you're a hammer, everything's a nail.

Maybe -- just maybe -- her gut told her this felt wrong (for the right reasons), but she only had her feminist ideology to rationalize it (for the wrong reasons).

Miss Curious asked a good question, which had a good answer -- homonyms! It's actually a sign of intelligence when kids ask questions like that, showing an observation of and an awareness of similarities and patterns, which leads to differentiating and distinguishing between similar things, which leads to critical thinking skills, which can lead to all kinds of good things.

I wonder how the book ended...

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Why have I never heard of these books? I grew up in the 80's, even.

Am I having a Mandela Moment?

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Next Mr. Clever Book: Bitches Be Crazy! I expect more complaints.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Why the girls are "little" might be a fair point.

I could accept a claim of sexism there.

As for complaining about a clever person explaining something to a curious person? That's just silly.

Until they bring out "Little Miss Asking For It" I don't see a problem. Although perhaps "Miss Asking For It" is a little less problematic.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   
more silliness. poor mr tickle wouldn't stand a chance in this modern era - it'd be one sexual harrassment suit after another.

posted on Dec, 3 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   

why do i suspect that ms judges " explaination " for miss bossy would be comedy gold ?

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 01:49 AM
link   
duplicate post
edit on 4-12-2019 by AaarghZombies because: Duplicate post

posted on Dec, 4 2019 @ 01:49 AM
link   

In a age where we're supposed to be getting rid of gender specific terms, shouldn't accusing somebody of mansplaning count as a hate crime?

Shouldn't they use a gender neutral term?

Or maybe they should just get a clue.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join