It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Attackers Could Hijack Your Android Camera to Spy on You both Sound and Video

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 05:39 AM
link   
So here we go again. No wonder everyone throughout the world is rolling out these sophisticated devices at an alarming pace. It seems that its all about INTEL and the ability to spy. Plus its the same players again, Google and Samsung.

Checkmarx

Also, I really wonder why I cant simply block a person from calling me on my Android phone. I called the provider and they said they are not allowed to totally prevent a caller from calling my phone. What? FYI I am being stalked by some crazy old woman in her 90's who has left over 15 voicemails. I have no idea as to what she is saying. Some of the voicemails are at 3:00AM and and midnight. I blocked the caller so the phone will no longer ring but she still can leave a voicemail. That was confirmed by the provider. They told me to use a free call block app as one offered by Google. So I did. So now Google has a repository of stalkers and creeps?

Just to muck up the situation I filed a written complaint about Miss Stalker with the FCC. Just to see where it would go. So now hackers can also get pictures and listen to us. I feel for the kids as they will be the primary targets.

What I now do at night is place the phone in the microwave. Its EMP proof and it blocks all signals so grandma cant call at night. I wonder if shes a lady of the evening doing tricks for some extra cash. It is that time of year you know.

Anyway I really appreciate what the governments of the world have done to us. Absolute chaos and anarchy is just around the corner with criminals running the show.

In this blog, we’ll explain the vulnerabilities discovered (CVE-2019-2234), provide details of how they were exploited, explain the consequences, and note how users can safeguard their devices. This blog is also accompanied by a proof-of-concept (PoC) video, as well as a technical report of the findings that were shared with Google, Samsung, and other Android-based smartphone OEMs. Google & Samsung Camera Vulnerabilities After a detailed analysis of the Google Camera app, our team found that by manipulating specific actions and intents [2], an attacker can control the app to take photos and/or record videos through a rogue application that has no permissions to do so. Additionally, we found that certain attack scenarios enable malicious actors to circumvent various storage permission policies, giving them access to stored videos and photos, as well as GPS metadata embedded in photos, to locate the user by taking a photo or video and parsing the proper EXIF data [3]. This same technique also applied to Samsung’s Camera app. In doing so, our researchers determined a way to enable a rogue application to force the camera apps to take photos and record video, even if the phone is locked or the screen is turned off. Our researchers could do the same even when a user was is in the middle of a voice call.

edit on 20-11-2019 by Waterglass because: added

edit on 20-11-2019 by Waterglass because: added

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I sometimes wonder if all this stuff isn't all just fear mongering to sell other stuff like apps and software.

If it's true, then sooner or later this whole hacking, spying and data mining thing is going to get to the point where none of these devices are usable anymore (that, or society doesn't care). When that happens, I'm just throwing all my 'smart' devices in the 'dumb' garbage bin! They can record all they want in there...until the battery goes dead...and the garbage truck compactor compacts their pointed little heads into a mangled printed circuit board.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I was also thinking the same thing.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   
not only cameras used with phones... but apps exist to 'Big Brother' you on Smart TVs, Tablets, and these are Mandatory Apps installed on your device that are required by Russia (so far) & China (still a secret) and the spying apps being covertly installed on USA & EU personal devices as soon as practical under new laws being passed... this was revealed on Nov 15th to my recollection

so those long ago rumors we heard in whispers...was correct...our devices are spying on us constantly

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Waterglass

I was also thinking the same thing.

they are two steps ahead of you

the Social Credit Score is the way to punish willful non-participants of the BigBrother spying devices,,,
toss the devices in the dumpsters at-your-own-peril, and get denied that wake-up cup of coffee or something else...

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

Just wait...that S# will snowball into a MASSIVE business opportunity!!

Mark my words! Etch them in stone!

ETA - Zero Social Credit Score...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!

edit on 11/20/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   
You keep your phone in the microwave?

Sorry, but that sounds like paranoid schizophrenia type stuff.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Waterglass

My android phone mfg says to add the person as a contact and then you can block them. It seems to work.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

If you turn the microwave on high for 5 minutes you can talk with Alpha Centauri.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I sometimes wonder if all this stuff isn't all just fear mongering to sell other stuff like apps and software.

Yes and no.
The whole anti-virus industry was created by blowing threats way out of proportion. Did threats exist? Yes, but a good portion of those threats (in the beginning) were viruses written by the same programmers writing anti-virus software for testing purposes. Then someone had a brilliant idea...you get the picture. Now anti-virus software is all but obsolete, but the scare is still working decades later. Norton, Mcafee, and many others are capitalizing on peoples ignorance.

There are definite similarities in the way this is playing out with phones, but the threat is real enough, even if the main player is your own government.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Also, I really wonder why I cant simply block a person from calling me on my Android phone. I called the provider and they said they are not allowed to totally prevent a caller from calling my phone.

You can on verizon.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:24 AM
link   

You should be able to block this nuisance caller on android WG-try this:

Open "recent calls" then hold your finger down on the weirdo number until options come up,then select "block number"

or you can try:

When in phone mode-click the 3 dots to enter settings,then click "call blocking"and add the number you want to block.

I can't help with hackers using your camera and mic thou-that ability is built into the phone by design

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

You are correct. Ole Granny seems to like virgins as in the mobile type. No contract but sheet service.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I did. They were still able to leave a VM. I downloaded the Truecaller app and have not had her call since 04Nov2019.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio
Just two words for you China and Huawei.
In answer to FCD, do I leave my phone in the micro to talk to Alpha Centauri? Legitimate question.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

I used to work INTEL so yes I am a bit jumpy and my bunny ears are up 24 /7

You seem to be behind the times. Ever hear about North Korea and detonation of an EMP over USA back in the good ole Obama days? Oh, that was an USA generated psyop? Well regardless of your opine the Microwave is EMP proof. Its a cheap way to block tracking signals by hackers or from uncle sam finding your location on a 24 / 7 basis. Watch the Snowden interview on back door hacking

Why are you pushing ignorance?

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 08:05 AM
link   

No not really. Only on Samsung Models: MC11K7035CIA, Model:MC11K7035NSA and Model:MC11K703FBI

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

The whole anti-virus industry was created by blowing threats way out of proportion.

Even NPR had an episode on the following.

Ransomware attacks in US cities are using a stolen NSA tool The consequences of NSA code leaks are hitting home.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Just call your phone provider. Have them reset your voicemail to force a reconfigure from scratch. Never reconfigure it so no one can leave voicemail. This is what I do. I cannot stand voicemail in general.

posted on Nov, 20 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

They can spy all they want. I'm sure I say things they REALLY love...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join