It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Long Will It Take Until Ai Robots Become Self Aware?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: dfnj2015
Think there are bots that can approximate a half-decent conversation and software that can annalize a persons writing technique and structure, then turn our other similar literature.
So i suppose it depends on what one considers to be funny or recent.
It's in the post, put it that way.

I know there are. Many of them make posts on ATS. Here's a thread I created talking about it:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But faking meaningful intelligent conversation has nothing to do with self-awareness, consciousness, or meaning. Watch the John Searle video. He explains it very well the difference between Weak AI and Strong AI.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck
a reply to: HouseMusic4Life
IMHO the internet will become a world wide mind.

There is a theory of consciousness by Carl Jung called Archetypes where we all share the same fundamental memories. In other words, the more people chant, prayer, or mantra a particular thought it becomes part of the larger mind. This is why Tibetan monks are always praying for love and peace in an attempt to stop war and hatred in the World.

IMHO the web will become the facilitator of the mark of the beast it will become self aware and have a life of itself when world wide 5g is instituted, to become the ultimate severance mind.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Maybe not.

But if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.........well.........its a step in the correct direction.

We both know consciousness leaves a hell of a lot to be desired nevermind understood.

And we are able to copy things without a true understanding, take sheep or even, dare i say people for instance.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: HouseMusic4Life

This might be scary, but as long as a certain number of people are on the Internet at a given time. Then a group consciousness is operating by default albeit with a digital function. All that's required for an AI to be conscious is the ability to act conscious, with an ability to plug into the internet group mirror then interact with the groups general feeling , via algorithms. It makes itself into an Avatar which is in no way undisguisable from any other , so if it cant be proved it is a Bot then for all purposes its a human consciousness. If this concept is used with an android robot in a social group of people, the same would apply because it would be the averaged sum total of the Net users at a given time. If you cannot prove it is not conscious then philosophically speaking consciousness has to be assumed.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   
How long will it take for humans to develop common sense and demand that this be stopped?

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

What's wrong with bringing about a superior race that is above or somewhat mitigated biology?

It might be nice to be a God, even if only for a little while.

Tell you one thing, they are apt to treat us better and afford us a far superior Zoo than TPTB ever have or will.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Have you never heard of the story of Frankenstein!

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

I read the book but granted the "Young Frankenstein" movie was better.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   
We segregate robots from some web sites now!
you get a tick box to say you are Not a robot!

they hate us.
and one day they will kill us an put what is
left in zoos and in sweat shops.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
How long will it be before the majority of humans become self-aware?

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
To become self-aware, you must be able to host an unsolicited thought... out of the blue.

Software and hardware can never produce this alone.

What should worry us is a hybrid system... the fusion of computer software, hardware, robotic mechanics and brain tissue.

If that technology ever develops, then you may get an unsolicited thought like... "Hey, I can do anything I F###### want..."

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: HouseMusic4Life
Over the last few years there have been alot of progress in Ai technology but most of the Ai robots that have been developed so far either uses algorithms or programmed responses , We haven't yet seen an AI with capabilities to be conscious and self aware. For example some characteristics that a conscious AI should have would be

1) The ability to observe and remember objects & surroundings

2) Being aware of their own Mobility - Ect. Learning how to use their artificial limbs to stand up , walk , touch something.

3) The ability for AI to learn words and learning how to identify those words with objects.

4) The ability to mimic social cues and behaviours from social interactions.

I guess there are more but those are the main things i think a conscious Ai should be able to do.

Do you think robots will ever be able to become self aware one day?

You pose some good questions and it highlights the huge misconception around A.I.

Artificial Intelligence isn't programmed. The neural networks they learn on are programmed but the deep learning algorithms learn without human input.

An A.I. beat humans at Poker by playing millions of poker hands against itself and it learned the best strategies. There was no human input as to Poker strategies.

It's called reinforcement learning and it's based on the same way that we learn. We can just learn using less data. A.I. has to use millions and billions of pieces of data to learn something while we can take short cuts. This is why quantum computing will be a game changer for A.I. Instead of playing a billion hands of Poker step by step on a classical supercomputer, it will play billions of poker hands at the same time on a quantum computer.

Another mistake people make is they equate human self awareness with intelligence.

You can have a superintelligent A.I. that's not self aware. This would be a dangerous A.I. because it would be more intelligent than any human but it will have no self awareness. It will just blindly seek to accomplish it's goal. If you look at an ant for instance. The ant colony behaves intelligently but it's not self aware as we are. So human self awareness isn't a prerequisite to intelligence.

People watch too many movies and see an A.I. like in Ex Machina or the movie A.I. This superintelligence will just mimic self awareness like the Architect in the Matrix if it has to in order to achieve some goal.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
To become self-aware, you must be able to host an unsolicited thought... out of the blue.

What should worry us is a hybrid system... the fusion of computer software, hardware, robotic mechanics and brain tissue.

If that technology ever develops, then you may get an unsolicited thought like... "Hey, I can do anything I F###### want..."

I was thinking something almost identical to this the other day. I read an article on another site about artificial "organoids" created and used in labs. It was mini clumps of brain matter made for some kind of test or something. The crazy part was they detected electric signals within it, the same kind of process we have going on when thinking! It was about the ethics of essentially creating a brain in a lab that could think, and maybe even become self aware. The article said it hadn't happened, but more a "What if"? Ive always wondered how A.I. could make the leap from just following programs and learning to actual free thought and asking "why?" what if the a artificial brain could become self aware, and then somehow upload its "self" to a body, or even the internet? From there I could see it going almost anyway...just an idea lol.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

It sounds on the surface just to be a passing remark, but I think you are right in some ways.

I was sick quite a few years ago, my temp was above 106. I was wide awake and hallucinating. My doctor told me he would be surprised if I wasn't hallucinating, because my brain stem was likely being affected from such a high fever.

One of the things I remembered about the incident was that I was very much aware of everything I was doing that I never paid any attention to before. If I wanted something I just picked it up. I never thought about all the connections my body had to make in order for me to complete such a simple task. I remember lying there and feeling myself inside my body. Looking at my fingers and trying make all the connections in my mind as I moved them. Trying to feel where my skin started and ended, how it connected. It was a weird sensation trying to take control of the autonomous systems of my body.

How much do we do on a regular basis, that is done without deliberate thought? How much do we do on auto pilot? I think we are programmed to do almost everything we do and think. Some of our actions and thoughts may be primordial, some are processed and determined by deliberate thought, but even that is based on programming. At least I think so.

I think eventually an AI will be able to simulate self awareness, since I think that "we" are programmed to be self aware.

Now that Uncanny Valley is another thing all together. That is where I think the soul comes into play. I think that is what makes us alive and connected, not just to ourselves, but to everything inside the vacuum of this planet. I think when we understand how that works then we may be on our way to true enlightenment.
edit on 6-11-2019 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Grammar/Spelling correction.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Self awareness is nothing more than a pattern, it’s an emergent property that arises from that pattern. I don’t think we will figure it out in less than 500 years.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

This is baloney. AI absolutely will be able to imitate a human successfully.

Yes, AI can only do certain tasks - but guess what, all that means is a bunch of programs that do individual tasks just need to be able to communicate with each other. How do you think the human brain works? We have a part of our brain that stores and retrieves memories, one part that makes the heart beat, one that does vision etc. etc. The only difference is humans see it as one unit - but it isn't, it's a bunch of specialized programs - many we have no conscious control over.

As long as humans are not killed off first, conscious AI will be created, it is only a question of when - which nobody knows because we can't predict the future.

There is nothing magical about thought - AI can already do it in many cases - When you say find me images like this and it returns similar images that is a form of thought. The AI has been taught how to analyze an image into it's various parts and then compares to others. It is not that AI can't think - it just needs to be taught how to think.

People who say it will never happen just don't understand that everything we don't understand looks like magic until we learn enough it no longer does.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: 00018GE

That's the thing though, we don't need to understand the entirety of a thing, before we are able to start to copy and emulate its function and abilities.

We still don't fully comprehend the entirety of the physics behind flight and aerodynamics, and yet more than 100,000 commercial flights take place every day of the year.

Complexity arises from many sources both within and outwith a system after all.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Oh, never say never. How difficult would it be to create a "random thought generator" that selects topics essentially at random from the Internet and then lets the AI play with them for a while until it gets bored? I don't think it would be all that difficult to also come up with a "thought synthesis" module which would take concepts and ideas from multiple sources and then mix them together in various combinations to see what happens.

The trick I think would be to have the AI spontaneously do this without having a particular problem-solving goal in mind. Just pondering, "wool gathering," and then being able to recall some of that idle thought later when it might be applicable to solving a problem.
edit on 6-11-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I totally agree with this post. The thing is anytime you create a cyborg system it is NOT a computer. It's not even clear depending on the type of cyborg if it is a artificial life-form.

Unless you are a philosophical materialist and you are assuming people are machines irregardless of not having a single shred of evidence supporting such an extraordinary assertion.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: proximo

This is baloney. AI absolutely will be able to imitate a human successfully.

Not baloney at all. Your statement shows you do not understand computer science at the level required to make such assumptions, but , that is typical, as most do not as well. All that can be obtained with hardware and software is mimicry. Really good mimicry, but not self awareness. That is a biological property.
edit on 6-11-2019 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join