It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Battery that charges in 6 minutes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Did anyone catch this?

A rechargeable battery that can be fully charged in just 6 minutes, lasts 10 times as long as today's rechargeables and can provide bursts of electricity up to three times more powerful is showing promise in a Nevada lab.

www.newscientist.com...

Pretty interesting. There is a lot going on with Hydrogen, but this is pretty exciting. Imagine the best hybrid/battery powere car out there would not be able to come close to this tech.

-P

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Mind if I write an ATSNN story about this???

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Wow this is very interesting. I only wish all batteries were like that

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Be very nice to up the capacitiy of today's battery's. I think it would be something that would be very convinient, too bad they didn't have these back in the boom box days. I swear, I still think Battery Company's have money from the 80's and 90's, where people always had a portable boom box, carrying it with them. Those things probably costed as much as some cars do with gas on keeping batteries in them.

But for some things today, I think it would be great. With a fast recharge rate and that high of a capacitiy would be great. I wonder if this will upgrade today's Capicitor's for Industry work and such?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I cant wait until we can see these on the shelves, Ill buy them as long as the price is reasonable

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
There is a slew of nice batteries (and chargers) in stores right now, that recharge in 15 minutes. I own a ton of these batteries. While it's not as cool as 6 min, it's still pretty good. Highly recommended, and you don't have to wait.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
There is a slew of nice batteries (and chargers) in stores right now, that recharge in 15 minutes. I own a ton of these batteries. While it's not as cool as 6 min, it's still pretty good. Highly recommended, and you don't have to wait.

I recently saw a clip about these on try it before you it on one of our local tv stations. They tried them out and even though they charged in close to 15 minutes they did not last nearly as long as most batteries around today do.

Not even close to the expected life of these batteries.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
oops! double post.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I have a digital camera and an underwater film camera which eat batteries like they're going out of style.

i have four sets of four each NiMH batteris and two high-speed (~1.5 to 2 hours) chargers. When I go out, I spend more time charging and recharging tose stupid batteries than I do shooting pictures.

I'd pay whatever I had to for those new jobbers.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sambo5us

Originally posted by Aelita

I recently saw a clip about these on try it before you it on one of our local tv stations. They tried them out and even though they charged in close to 15 minutes they did not last nearly as long as most batteries around today do.

Not even close to the expected life of these batteries.

I had quite positive experience with quick-charge Rayovac in my electric toothbrush, remote thermometer, and recently a Sony digital camera. I would agree quick-charge might be not right for all (heavy duty) applications, but it still works OK.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Six minutes seems forever to me in an age when we put men in space! LOL

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I could use this in my laptop...the thing only lasts like half an hour off power. This thing is a Dell P.O.S.... I can't wait to buy my 12" Powerbook...score!

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnMature
I could use this in my laptop...the thing only lasts like half an hour off power. This thing is a Dell P.O.S.... I can't wait to buy my 12" Powerbook...score!

I have a Dell Latitude and with double battery it goes on for 5 hours.

It weighs a ton, though.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
There is an unlimited amount of possibillities that can be done with these batteries. From running laptops and portable DVD players to satellites and other space equipment.

The possibillities are endless.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
[edit on 8-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Hopefully this will just be the begining of such vast improvements, with nano tech u can bet that a few more oreders of magnitude will be possible in the next few decades with regards to battery life.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Thats quite a trick..
A bigger electron highway to move more current in and out..

I know where this place is, I wonder if they would let me test drive a battery
in my camera?

Large scale versions of this would probably be costly, but imagine a bank of these batteries, coupled with newer, wider spectrum solar cell technology.

Thanks for posting this info..

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Sorry for the late reply, but sure!

Originally posted by sardion2000
Mind if I write an ATSNN story about this???

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
My whole thing is that batteries have been a failure in electric cars. Why? Because they don't last as long, and they take forever to charge. Suppose for a moment this technology scales up to bigger batteries such as the one I mentioned in electric cars. You can see where I am going with this hopefully. The bennefits of this technology can be realized immediately. Not 5-7 years down the line when hydrogen vehicles become more available.

On this forum we talk a lot about possible something-for-nothing devices. Now while I am CERTAIN that at least some of these devices exist, I am equally certain that we won't see their bennefits any time soon unless something DRASTICALLY changes. These batteries are here and now, and IMHO the direction we need to be heading.

-P

top topics

join