It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travel is impossible because time is not real

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

Illusions don’t cause you to age.

Neither does time. Time is just the measuring tape used to measure the decline process in the biological body of humans. A few centuries ago, your time and expiration date would be 30 to 40 years at best. And most of it was not because of time, but that's the time most people had. At that time, as it was the times.

Ever hear of a little thing called entropy?

Would you like to calculate items like the speed of light without time. Looking forward to your proof of measuring and describing the speed of light by canceling out time from the equation.

Its called a thought experiment.

Obviously the thought of a thought experiment goes right over some peoples heads.

Time is the measuring tool used to measure the theory of something called a photon going 186,000 miles per second.

And its called a theory, because none of you have been light years away in the void of space, or have gone anywhere near that speed. Heck, fastest a human has gone is a fraction of that. And the fastest most people go every day is maybe 70MpH on a daily routines in a car.

And nobody alive today will ever even go to mars, much less speed off in a spaceship at the speed of light to who knows were. So the whole thing remains a theory.

What are you surprised that you can measure time, using time?

And yes you can measure time using time. Its what its all about. Its what it was devised to do. Its one of the things which separates hairless monkey kind, ie you, from other primates ie a chimp. Its a concept to measure and equate and quantify the physical world around you via, it. And it being time, and time being the watch in front of you, and all deviations and evolved paradigms of the seasons on planet earth.

But it is not a thing in itself. Its why if you get in a car and drive 40 miles to somewhere and it took you 30 minutes to get there. What your traveling through is not time itself, your going through space, on a road, in a car and it took you 30 minutes to get to your destination. Time is just a projection your mind placed on it all.

And if you would have crashed and burned on the way there. Well were does the time go?

You understand that concept dont you? And the theory of relativity? Or why einstien said its a persistent illusion? Its not that it does not exist. Even though illusions exist. Everytime you look at a computer screen your looking at a light illusion.

You do understand the concept of measuring time using time don't you? And you do grasp the concept of matter ie physical matter, and the metaphysical? The hardware and the software? Right?

You know thinking, and being able to think in the abstract, is one of the main differences what separated humans from primates. And gave rise to things such as tools and towns and more abstract concepts like maths. Its why your able to read the words I am writing to you right now. You know. Because your mind is able to perceive the abstract concept of languages and words, and your brain has evolved to process it all.

Or at least to some measure it seems your able.

So dude! Why do you think they are able to measure and calculate time, using time?

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Still waiting for you to define the speed of light without the dimension of time. How’s that proof of canceling out time from the speed of light coming along?

A bullet’s speed is defined in distance over time. Is the change in distance an illusion like the change in time?

The permanent state of death stretching out into eternity is very real.

If time is an illusion, why is there space time?

String Theory Unifies Space and Time

www.dummies.com...

As strange as it seems, this example (and many others) demonstrates that in Einstein’s theory of relativity, space and time are intimately linked together. If you apply Lorentz transformation equations, they work out so that the speed of light is perfectly consistent for both observer

Like it or not, time is part of the fabric of the universe.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 03:56 AM
link   

So time is an illusion because we can perceive time? Like we can perceive mass changing position? Like we can perceive a change in physical states? Like we can perceive a change in potential energy? Like we can perceive the effects of gravity? Like we can perceive that atoms vibrate at different rates at different temperatures. Like we can perceive different radioactive elements have specific half lives? Please define the half life of uranium 235 without time since it’s an illusion.
edit on 8-11-2019 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Still waiting for you to define the speed of light without the dimension of time. How’s that proof of canceling out time from the speed of light coming along?

Both are theories and equations. Both time and the speed of light are calculations, in a thought experiment, about what it would be like if you were going at the speed of light. You want to see how far real world has reached. Look to voyager 1 and 2, they still sort of but kind of not really get signals back from it.

Though a few years ago, seems they lost signal on voyager 1.

And illusions are real. I don't see what is so hard to understand about that? Look at photons and they can be anything you want to see, from a particle to a wave, to a potato.

Now what does that tell you?

You want prof that concepts and illusions exist? Look around you, more then half the # people believe are illusions, and millions and millions have died for the believes and illusions. So yes, time is an illusion, and illusions are real and do exist, and do influence peoples, nations, thoughts and everyday life every single day.

I see you still did not answer my questions. So why are they able to calculate time, using time?

Or is that just to much for you?

Like it or not, time is part of the fabric of the universe.

Well duh! I told you time is the thing that 3 dimensional creatures and minds operate to gauge there existence in relation to the world around them. Its only an inherent part of there existence, not of the universe, as that will be here long before you and the human race is gone.

So as you can see, yes and no. Just like a photon can be both a wave and particle. And just like water can be both a solid a gas and a liquid. And even all those in time will cease to be.

So what does that say about that paper book you quoted? Think it will be here a million years from now, or how about a billion, or a trillion?

And also which universe you talking about?

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Time is an illusion as it is a measurement.

And atom, is a perception on matter.

Matter is the physical world around you.

You can turn off your watch.

You cant turn off the sun, or water, or even the half life of uranium 235, or the mass of the planet effecting you is a fact, water changing into ice at certain temperatures, is a fact of physical reality, gravity to is a fact of reality even though clearly nobody really know how or why it works.

The fact is that whatever and however it works. It works, and you cant deny it or turn it off.

Now if time does not work? What has happened there? Has all time stopped? Is all of existence gone? Or is there just something wrong with your watch. Your link you linked about the time difference between the clock in space and the one on earth?

So is the one is space in the future or past. Is space effecting time itself? Or is it merely effecting the instrument there using to keep time?

But I see, you never did answer my question. So answer it. What is the difference between the hardware and the software?

Should not be hard, or then again. Maybe for you who seems to believe in the time particle it is.

In which case. Were is the time particle located?

And again, illusions exist and effect people. That happens on a daily basis, for instance you. I remember now, your the guy who did not get how rockets could possibly work.

Well then if rockets did not work in space. How did the voyager space probes get to were they are now? By magic. Or is it all a hoax by NASA to get those tax dollars? Pretty sure plenty of that going around no doupt, even with the newer people like Elon Musk and his space car, or Bezos, heck they gave him and upgrade in the bank account some time ago because of the whole google quantum supremacy.

Yet they all forgot to ask, if it took them some minutes to crunch some numbers that would take a super computer 10 thousand years, was the answer to the equation that takes 10 thousand years to do 42? Oh ya, illusions a plenty, money itself is a concept and illusion. Yet it rules the very fabric of space and time of the human world and existence.

And soon something that is both a 1 and 0, will exist as well at the same time.
Must be mind boggling to you I suppose, having such a hard time grasping how time can both be an illusion and real at the same time.

And you can define the half life of uranium 235, even if time happens to be an illusion. Its how measurements work. All in your head, as applicable to a physical construct. Hardware and software...Duh!

You seem to be still stuck in the oh time is an illusion so it cant exist. When it is clear as day, that illusions exist all across the board, and do effect the physical world.

The metaphysical has an effect on the physical. Its why there is no time particle, yet you can keep track of time even if its not a actual physical property, its something that can and does effect that physical. The third dimension, were you reside, or maybe more like the second, as you seem to be having a hard time grasping that.

And have yet to answer any of the questions I posted for you. Why don't you do that now. You know so that way I know your not some 12 year old who somehow got a hold of his moms laptop and is posting links to sites on here for whatever reason.

edit on 9pmFridaypm082019f5pmFri, 08 Nov 2019 21:43:21 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: made my response more nice, less mean words, poor guy does not get how time can exist.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Julian Barbour's solution to the problem of time in physics and cosmology is as simply stated as it is radical: there is no such thing as time.

His extreme perspective comes from years of looking into the heart of both classical and quantum physics. Isaac Newton thought of time as a river flowing at the same rate everywhere. Einstein changed this picture by unifying space and time into a single 4-D entity. But even Einstein failed to challenge the concept of time as a measure of change. In Barbour's view, the question must be turned on its head. It is change that provides the illusion of time. Channeling the ghost of Parmenides, Barbour sees each individual moment as a whole, complete and existing in its own right. He calls these moments "Nows."

Now is an arrangement of everything in the universe. 

Barbour's Nows can be imagined as pages of a novel ripped from the book's spine and tossed randomly onto the floor. Each page is a separate entity existing without time, existing outside of time. 

"What really intrigues me," says Barbour, "is that the totality of all possible Nows has a very special structure. You can think of it as a landscape or country. Each point in this country is a Now and I call the country Platonia, because it is timeless and created by perfect mathematical
rules." 

Our illusion of the past arises because each Now in Platonia contains objects that appear as "records" in Barbour's language. "The only evidence you have of last week is your memory. But memory comes from a stable structure of neurons in your brain now. 

popular science

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Time is an illusion? You don’t land on the moon, or a moon of Jupiter just being in the right spot. You have to be in the right space at the right time. Is that false?

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

And still waiting on that proof where time cancels out when determining the speed of light.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I dont know what to say. This is some of the strangest moving of the goal post that I have seen.

First of all, my whole premise to start with was about time being more or less a calculation and measurement. In this thread and the other which seems to have influenced you in making this one. I don't think I said, time does not exist. Just that its not an inherent part of physical nature, ie, no time particle.

For instance take the thread you made. Called, Time travel is impossible, because time is not real. Then you ask me to define time as in an equation to determine the speed of light.

Are you slow? Thats what I have been saying the whole dam time, you may want to actually read something not just go by what you believe you read, so as you can see we agree. And I have been saying this whole time that time is more or less a calculation, hence does not exist in the scope of physical matter, hence the whole einstien theory of relativity.

The whole time travel paradox or the clocks, or scientists theory is all a theory? Even the math about time paradox is just that, Maths. I said time is a freaking equation and measurement, hence you can do an equation using math about time traveling, in the context that's what time and measurements are for.

So when you keep saying durpa durpa. Prove time does not exist because you can calculate for time.....And my answer is, ya, thats my point, time is more or less a calculation....We agree.

OK guy.
Time is a calculation. You just proved my point, and keep proving my point.

So as it looks like you cant even answer basic questions I asked. Lets go even more basic.

Here we go, listen closely, try to at least answer this, as the others may be to hard to do. Does having a math equation and calculation that shows you can travel in time to the year 5069 equal and actually means time traveling through time to the year 5069 exists?

No offense brah! But you even suck at moving the goal posts around. I would like to say I have never seen somebody suck so much at even that. But your not the first on that even, your not even the first hundredth that I have seen to suck at moving the goal posts around in a conversation, for some oddball reason, to try to be right.

Like I care either way.

May want to give up on whatever point your trying to make. And besides your whole point is my point, and yes were in agreement time is a calculation and measurement, so you can solve for time using time in said calculation.

And if you read this thread or the other, you will see I never said that time does not exist period at all, as there is nothing there, or that because people are capable of doing maths and calculations or measuring things proves time exists, but it does not prove a time machine exists or that even time traveling through time like, you thread says.

So yes, time travel is impossible. And yes solving and calculation for time in an equation is possible....MM...K.

I have said this whole time. That thats what time is, and does not exist in a real physical paradigm, so no timemachine for you, and no those clocks dont go a few minutes into the future as there spinning around the globe.

So when you ask me why does time exist when your solving for an equation about time. Yes were in concord, and thats my point, that time is just a measurement. But to get back to you point. You know as the title says.....Time travel.

Because get this! Time may only be a measurement or calculation, and not only that. And this may blow your mind, but its also relative to who, what, were, when, and even why, in relation to whoever is observing it, or calculating it. Its wacky I know, I think they call it the "theory" of "relativity"

So, again since you may have missed it. Does having a math equation and calculation that shows you can travel in time to the year 5069 equal and actually mean time traveling through time exist? Or does it just mean that there's a math equation showing time traveling exists?

I could get even simpler if you want? But like I said, you have already proved what I said about time traveling not existing because time can only be quantitative on a mental scale and has no inherent physical properties in nature, but that which we give it.

Your not measuring time itself when your calculating how to get from point A to point B.

Your simply using the idea of time to traverse and measure a way through physical space and through matter, on how to get from point A to point B. Time is a byproduct of that and a tool. Your not moving through spacetime itself, your moving through space, at certain speeds and will get there at certain times. Hence its all relative.

Fell like I have been repeating myself for ages here. But there are kids out there who for some wacky reason dont know what time is.

So again and to answer again all your questions you have had, and will have in the future....Yes...Yes...Yes...Duh...Duh...Duh....and 42.

But I think the whole 42 joke may go over your head. I could explain it to you. But don't think you will get it. Also I don't have all year here to explain simple stuff to weirdos online.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:06 AM
link   

How do you land on the moon again if you don’t have the right point in space and the right point in time?

Where is that proof where you cancel the change in time to define the change in distance for the speed of light.

Why does it take an electromagnet single from a galaxy 100 light years from earth a hundred years to get to earth.

How is witness a change in time anymore of an a illusion than witnessing a change in distance?

Might look up the paradox of motion? And it’s purposes solutions?
edit on 11-11-2019 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

So time is an illusion because we can perceive time?

You perceive time by standing in front of a clock....... you watch the hands move but you never leave now.

You are never not now........ you never ever see another time.

Thoughts occur now that speak of other times and in that assumed space you live 'your' (separate) life.

This ever present life is the One life.

Nice to see you step away from 911threads

edit on 11-11-2019 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 05:22 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 05:23 AM
link   

time would be your perceived quantizing of noticeable events such as the movement of a bright hot ball in the sky. to make "time" work you create self-proving formulas to show time working. your "time" would allow a beginning and an end which is clearly not possible

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

You perceive time by standing in front of a clock....... you watch the hands move but you never leave now.

Thoughts occur now that speak of other times and in that assumed space you live 'your' (separate) life.

What does that have to do with you have to be in the right space in time to land on the moon?

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   

What does that have to do with you have to be in the right space in time to land on the moon?

What??
I did not mention the moon.

Is it cryptic?

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

No. It’s quiet simple. Can you calculate a landing on the moon with only distance. Or do you have to calculate where the moon will be at at a specific point is space, and at a specific point in time? And does gravity affect those calculations? Time and space. Space time.

A loose example

Global Positioning System

www.livescience.com...

In order for your car's GPS navigation to function as accurately as it does, satellites have to take relativistic effects into account. This is because even though satellites aren't moving at anything close to the speed of light, they are still going pretty fast. The satellites are also sending signals to ground stations on Earth. These stations (and the GPS unit in your car) are all experiencing higher accelerations due to gravity than the satellites in orbit.

To get that pinpoint accuracy, the satellites use clocks that are accurate to a few billionths of a second (nanoseconds). Since each satellite is 12,600 miles (20,300 kilometers) above Earth and moves at about 6,000 miles per hour (10,000 km/h), there's a relativistic time dilation that tacks on about 4 microseconds each day. Add in the effects of gravity and the figure goes up to about 7 microseconds. That's 7,000 nanoseconds.

The difference is very real: if no relativistic effects were accounted for, a GPS unit that tells you it's a half mile (0.8 km) to the next gas station would be 5 miles (8 km) off after only one day. [Top 10 Inventions that Changed the World]

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Yes clocks move..... but can they appear outside of now?
How can it be proved that there is anything outside of what is actually occuring presently?

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Yes clocks move..... but can they appear outside of now?
How can it be proved that there is anything outside of what is actually occuring presently?

What does that have to do with landing on the moon one needs to be in right spot in space at the right point in time?

Please show where you only need a distance calculation to land on the moon. Can you go to the spot in space the moon was a hundred years ago and use that point in space to land on the moon next week?

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Didn't mention distance.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

This is interesting

NASA Announces Results of Epic Space-Time Experiment

science.nasa.gov...

Time and space, according to Einstein's theories of relativity, are woven together, forming a four-dimensional fabric called "space-time." The mass of Earth dimples this fabric, much like a heavy person sitting in the middle of a trampoline. Gravity, says Einstein, is simply the motion of objects following the curvaceous lines of the dimple.

Snip

The results of Gravity Probe B give physicists renewed confidence that the strange predictions of Einstein's theory are indeed correct, and that these predictions may be applied elsewhere. The type of spacetime vortex that exists around Earth is duplicated and magnified elsewhere in the cosmos--around massive neutron stars, black holes, and active galactic nuclei.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join