It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travel is impossible because time is not real

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Actually, I believe time is real. Many equations require time to accurately solve for problems relating to our universe.

I came across the old, “time is an illusion” argument in another thread.

So. If time is an illusion, then time travel would be an illusion. Therefore true time travel is impossible.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

Time is construct humans invented to be able to describe and decompartmenatilise the world around us, glad I cleared that up for you....

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 04:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Time is construct humans invented to be able to describe and decompartmenatilise the world around us, glad I cleared that up for you....

The fact we created our measure of time to fit our circumstances may explain why some of our equations don’t work. Or say, why we need Dark Matter to explain anomalies within them.

The universe is only a few seconds old - maybe.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ARM1968

In short , we can't explain the world around us as we don't know enough about it and how it works .

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux So your reasoning is nothing truly exist's?,then how are we having conversations? how do you discount time travel? this place is getting like grade school

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 04:37 AM
link   
so what's an illusion. Illusion is a guy girl or polyantropomorfic gender telling you you're Craaazzzy. Time not real ?, then according to the single stoned one. Space not real too !

so everything a illusion except that castle on the hill. so if Spacetime is an illusion except if it IS a bunch of differential equotations in a complex plane presented in an textbook that bores lonelyhearted teenagers.pfff...

As I see it time just a bunch of events , events recorded in memory and memory accessed by consiousness. In empty spacetime there is no time , except one defines time as an extra dimension. Although that mathematica'time' describes the real time it has nothing to do with real time. imagine this , it's possible to use complex numbers to describe time. and than ask the question is the imaginary part of that 'time' real. Of course not. Math , formulas only describe reality. Write them out on a piece of crumpled up paper ? Does that piece become the universe ? Well of course not again. The universe is something more that all formulas that DESCRIBE it. it's more. The universe is Aleph 1 and math well... yeah just aleph zero nothing more.

After one understand this it's easy to understand how NOT to timetravel. Time connected to observer , that's you. Understand that context within observer creates time. All of us timelocked by context and the collective field of humanity that's generating reality. Just say it's impossible and Stay put forever , watching your american apparel underwear . eeewww.

edit on 1112019 by frenchfries because: peetry flush mentracks

edit on 1112019 by frenchfries because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Not even that according to some popular theories that state all space/time occurred at the very instant the universe was born.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Time is not an illusion , as particles decay.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
a reply to: neutronflux So your reasoning is nothing truly exist's?,then how are we having conversations? how do you discount time travel? this place is getting like grade school

I just created the thread to see what people post. However, quote from my post where I stated nothing truly exists.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Not even that according to some popular theories that state all space/time occurred at the very instant the universe was born.

Then why does time seem to slow the closer you get to traveling at the speed of light.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Time travel is real just not physically possible to us at this time. But you have to do it in the realm outside of the 3rd dimensional constructs. Also known as the astral plane. Time indeed does exist in this realm but once you go above it time is no longer governed by the same forces that it is here. Eternity is not infinite time but the lack of time infinitely.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

Then why does time seem to slow the closer you get to traveling at the speed of light.

What would prevent it ?
If all time/space happened at start , it is only man's perception of time.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Actually, I believe time is real. Many equations require time to accurately solve for problems relating to our universe.

I came across the old, “time is an illusion” argument in another thread.

So. If time is an illusion, then time travel would be an illusion. Therefore true time travel is impossible.

Interesting. I'd never thought of that corollary of the "time is an illusion" thing.

Though I guess if time is an illusion strictly speaking you could have illusionary time travel.

I guess a more fundamental question might be "are illusions real"?

edit on 1-11-2019 by Gryphon66 because: Strickly, jesus chist.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 07:15 AM
link   

What would prevent it ?
If all time/space happened at start , it is only man's perception of time.

Using the logic of this post:

Everything that will happen has happen as relative to the time line being observed by a person approaching the speed of light, so there is no relative passage of time to observe? But the passage of time is relative to how close one travels in relation to the speed of light?

Maybe there can only be time if there is mass in movement? An offset of gravity?
edit on 1-11-2019 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Maybe there can only be time if there is mass in movement? An offset of gravity?

Nope.
Time is a constant.
Whether it is man's perception or the universe.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I'm actually travelling through time right now.. every 60 minutes, I've travelled 1 hour into the future.

But you know, time slows down, the smaller something is.

www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I have never understood the idea that time is not "real." I understand that time is cyclical rather than linear, but misunderstanding time doesn't make it not real. Time is what it is: the measurement of the movement of celestial bodies through space from our perspective here on earth, with "time" denoted by seconds, minutes, degrees, and hours, as well as days, weeks, months and years. So a "year" denotes the earth's 360° orbit around the sun... today a "month" is roughly 1/12 of the sun cycle, but it was once known as a "moon," denoting the (approximately) 29 days of the moon's cycle from one new moon to the next.

In terms of time travel, I tend to think if it's possible, it would only be possible to go to the past and not the future, unless someone from the future took someone from the past back to the future. But we could not travel to the future on our own. Just my best guess, based on my best understanding of how things work... For whatever it's worth!

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
In my eyes time is just a form of measurement and go as far as just a human construct. Time and space for example , time measures how quick you close a space. From getting to point a to point b. Other than that we dont record time accurately as we base it on the four seasons rather than a full turn of the planet.

. a reply to: neutronflux

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Go out in space and go decently fast for a bit. Come back and tell our aged asses again (while you’ve aged significantly less) that time travel isn’t possible.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Interesting. I'd never thought of that corollary of the "time is an illusion" thing.

It's an interesting concept, but one that I find to be worded improperly.

I don't think I'll do much better, but I'll make an attempt. Time is a measurement we use to provide a constant for everyone to go off of. So that things can exist in rhythm.

But the way we experience time is perception. So the theory goes if you travel at the speed of light, you will age slower... Or the contrast of different gravity can effect the way time is experienced comparatively.

Or, for an example we all can see for ourselves. While we are sleeping, we aren't experiencing sensory input like sight, feel, smell, hearing, taste... So our mind can focus purely on dreaming, hence why you can fall asleep for a nap and have a dream that could feel like hours or days.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join