It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do Christians Choose To Ignore The Bible ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I find it interesting that many Christians ignore the bible, on topics like creation and morality.
I am not talking about the Old Testament either, the scriptures in the New Testament. The bible is not a smorgasbord/buffet that we get to pick and choose only the stuff we personally agree with.

The reason I bring this up is that I recently saw a big rainbow flag planted right in front of a church. This is not the only issue but it sure is the most visible.

From Jesus himself who said....

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me on that day [when I judge them], ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, and driven out demons in Your name, and done many miracles in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them publicly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me [you are banished from My presence], you who act wickedly [disregarding My commands].’

Matthew 7: 21-23

It is a warning for all Christians, we ignore the bible at our own peril.
edit on 27-10-2019 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

So, if I understand correctly, you're upset that this particular church isn't homophobic and seem to be accepting of others??

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The real tragedy is that a beautiful rainbow has become the symbol of sexual perversion and deviancy. It makes me sad.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile

So, if I understand correctly, you're upset that this particular church isn't homophobic and seem to be accepting of others??

You can be accepting of other human beings without celebrating their sin.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Because as a whole, the bible is ambiguous.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
You can be accepting of other human beings without celebrating their sin.

Can you?? I don't believe you can since you're referring to their love as a "sin". Besides, having the flag out front doesn't necessarily mean they are celebrating it, to me it sounds like they're trying to let people know they are accepting of them and they are free to come to this particular church if they so wish.

Then again, I may just view that differently since I don't, y'know, consider their love to be a "sin", but hey, use whatever justification you can for your bias if it helps you sleep at night.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Wasn't the rainbow supposed to represent God's covenant between Him and all living creatures of the earth?

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It's funny you know, I expected to read this OP and for it to mention the more commonly overlooked teachings of Jesus like...
"Judge not lest you be judged yourself" or "take care of the log in your own eye before complaining about the speck in your neighbours eye....", and speaking of neighbours, how about... "love thy neighbour as you would yourself".
Here's one(of many) about greed and money lust that's pretty much ignored by the modern church...." it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven"...
And so on....
The teachings that would actually make the world a better place.

But instead we will get to hear how Christians are the real victims of oppression (in their massive churches, holding massive political influence and no signs anywhere of REAL oppression!), because people are calling them on their cruel, hateful messaging and lack of true Christian values.

Personally I have nothing against the Christians that actually live by the word of Jesus, it's just getting to be a rarity these days.
edit on 27-10-2019 by Osirisvset because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Interesting (but faulty) premise...

The scripture you quoted does not refer to following "the Bible," but following Jesus and his "command." So what did Jesus tell us?

Well, Jesus gave us one commandment: To love one another as He loves us. John 13:34

Jesus also taught that we should not judge lest we be judged, that we should give to the poor, that he who is without sin may throw the first stone, that we should pay our alms in private...

I know of no instance in which Jesus told us to condemn the homosexual or anyone else.

So, please, enlighten me. At what point did Jesus command us to follow the Bible? And at what point did Jesus tell us to condemn homosexuals?

And please do not quote Saul of Tarsus. I am a Christian. I follow Jesus. I am not a Paulian. I do not follow Saul of Tarsus.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
I find it interesting that many Christians ignore the bible, on topics like creation and morality.
I am not talking about the Old Testament either, the scriptures in the New Testament. The bible is not a smorgasbord/buffet that we get to pick and choose only the stuff we personally agree with.

The reason I bring this up is that I recently saw a big rainbow flag planted right in front of a church. This is not the only issue but it sure is the most visible.

From Jesus himself who said....

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me on that day [when I judge them], ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, and driven out demons in Your name, and done many miracles in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them publicly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me [you are banished from My presence], you who act wickedly [disregarding My commands].’

Matthew 7: 21-23

It is a warning for all Christians, we ignore the bible at our own peril.

Because they are human beings and we are called to love and accept other human beings
Or as Christians are we not supposed to love gay people?

Christianity is a road travelled, it’s not a magic potion a person takes and suddenly they never sin again

Pretty disappointed in christians who are so judgemental

Paul stated Christians are not under the law, sin free
As I understand it, should a Christian fall or fail, we are to help them move forward, build them up and support them
I have no issue with a gay flag, gays are not my enemies, love them as commanded by Christ

You discuss creation and then say not the Old Testament, hmmm
Last I heard, creation theology wasn’t necessary to believe in Jesus
edit on 27-10-2019 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile

No, it is just one example of how churches and Christians are totally ignoring the bible in in 2019, if you understand the bible and God's sense of justice you will come to understand that all sin is equal, for thousands of years homosexuality has been viewed as worse than "other" sins, when to God it actually isn't, for example drunkards and adulterers receive the same punishment in the end as they do. God doesn't discriminate against what type of major sin it is, humans have done this because they have chosen a hierarchy type of morality. But it is interesting that only one type of sin has it's own flag compared to all the others, it's like a banner chosen to rally around to disregard the whole bible, making it more insidious because of the totality of what it actually accomplishes against God.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

There are different types of love though.

Carnal love is not the type of love we celebrate. In the Greek, that's eros. There are plenty of other Greek words for love and those are mostly all plenty fine and accepted and celebrated by Christians.

Agape is the main one, and that one is never wrong and can be between any two people.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Because today, people want to conflate love and sex. Sex isn't love. If it was, I'd try to hump my son every day and my parents every time I saw because I love them dearly.

I don't do that because it would be deeply wrong, but I still love them. Why is that? Because sex isn't love.

Not even with husbands and wives who do love each other is sex itself love. If it was, as soon as one partner or the other was rendered incapable or disinterested in sex, those two would break up because they no longer have any interest in one another. But many couples stay together and still love one another. How is that possible if sex is love which is what our modern, over-sexualized society tells us? Because sex is not love!

Sure for the purposes of bonding, it can be important, but it clearly is not love and is not necessary for two people to love.

Study your Greek and you find out that the Greeks recognized different kinds of love. Sex was but one kind, carnal love. The kind Jesus talks about is another. Look it up in the Concordances and you will see.

edit on 27-10-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-10-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
To everybody that says we need to be more accepting and non-judgmental, I have no issue with people that want to do this, free choice within the laws of the land, go for it.
My point is only what does the bible actually say about it.....read it, and you will understand there are former homosexuals as angels in heaven right now. And when they died they were no longer practicing, they changed just like Jesus asked them to. And those that never changed and died will still be given another chance in the future as well just like all other sinners, which essentially we all are anyways.

edit on 27-10-2019 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

the real tragedy is that people in the 21st century believe in biblical rainbow fantasies

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

You discuss creation and then say not the Old Testament, hmmm

Because I just know somebody will say we are not under that law anymore, which is true.
But the historical part of the old testament should not be ignored, this deals with creation, Jesus also confirmed the creation account when speaking as well, and he would know, he was there.

Of note some of the 10 commandments are still used for our criminal codes today, it has formed the backbone of proper social civilization for many centuries.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes. No argument. Sex is not love. Love is not sex. Sex can be an expression of love, but not necessarily. Obviously, or there would be no such thing as rape.

But that's not what the OP asks so it is not what I was addressing, which is Christians choosing to "ignore the Bible," and specifically the New Testament.

And to a great extent, the OP seems to be dictating what a "true" Christian must believe, which would be "the Bible" in its entirety as interpreted by (in this case) the OP.

I take exception to such. And I'm not the first. As you know, this nation was founded by those who refused to let other Christians dictate their faith to them.

It's the American way

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Everyone is a sinner, doesnt matter if you go to church or not. Just because someone believes in jesus and goes to church doesnt mean they wont ever slip up and sin again.

I dont like that churches that openly invite homosexuals use the rainbow as a gay sign. It was a sign god used when he promised to not flood the earth again. It was ganked by the gays tarnishing a good sign just like the nazi's tarnished the swastika.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Are you saying we humans should be passing judgement on homosexuals? I'm not a bible scholar by any means, so I'm trying to figure out where it indicates that an act such as planting a rainbow flag versus being against doing so fits in.

Are we supposed to be passing judgement?

Also, just exercising realism, you can go back 1000 years and not find many who follow the entire Bible very closely.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

Please read my signature,the rainbow belongs to God,not to
sexually confused people*.

* I am not politically correct and won't change either!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join