It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do Christians Choose To Ignore The Bible ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

The word “major” sin is interesting, what is a major sin and minor sin What if a person needs 10 years to learn abstinence, will God know the heart or just you What if they are making an effort to,stop, everyday, working hard applying and occasionally fall. You will condemn them Where is your middle ground blue Christ left the church a command, to love

Yes.. he did leave a command to love.. and by your own words, you say he loves everyone. You dispute major sin yet you jump all over JW’s condemning them for allowing that terrible sin of pedophilia.. yet you will stand by homosexuals without judgement because you profess to be full of love. Do you realize that some in the LGBTQ community are fighting hard for the rights of pedos.

Your words don’t match your actions Raggedyman... and yes I believe there are some sins much graver than others.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

awesome post 👍🏼

You said it better than I could have hoped to.

edit on 27-10-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye

The word “major” sin is interesting, what is a major sin and minor sin What if a person needs 10 years to learn abstinence, will God know the heart or just you What if they are making an effort to,stop, everyday, working hard applying and occasionally fall. You will condemn them Where is your middle ground blue Christ left the church a command, to love

Yes.. he did leave a command to love.. and by your own words, you say he loves everyone. You dispute major sin yet you jump all over JW’s condemning them for allowing that terrible sin of pedophilia.. yet you will stand by homosexuals without judgement because you profess to be full of love. Do you realize that some in the LGBTQ community are fighting hard for the rights of pedos.

Your words don’t match your actions Raggedyman... and yes I believe there are some sins much graver than others.

Sheye, appreciate your concern and correction

Homosexuality is not illegal anymore, thank God
Two consenting adults engaging in sex, freewill
I believe God gave mankind freewill, a gift, our choice, two consenting adults
Pedophilia, illegal, one consenting adult one abused child
How you can relate them, anyone’s guess

Now do we want to discuss a rainbow flag at a church or do we want to discuss legalising pedophlia.
They are mutually exclusive, not related, a straw man and a dumb straw man at that

If we were discussing how christians treat pedos as opposed to how we treat homosexuals then I would make a comment, we are not

You say I don’t believe in hell, really, we sorted that out as a silly statement you made that was a fabrication. You are making things up, saying I have said things that I didn’t say, don’t believe, don’t accept and then telling me I am wrong about what I didn’t say
Now I am accused of condemning JW people, really, you will sink to any level to justify your bile. I havnt condemned anyone, just pointed out that JW,org protects and harbours pedophiles in their organisation.
After saying that I posted dozens of links to prove my beliefs, eye witness accounts and legal documents

However here we are discussing gay flags in churches
Homosexuality is not a crime, pedopphilia is, use some common sense, please use common sense

equating child abuse with homosexuality, pretty disgusting and low in my opinion
Homosexuality is in no way related to sexual abuse with children and you pull out a pretty nasty and despicable correlation

Accuse me of condemning, what a joke

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

Now I am no longer a Christian, but was raised that way and my answer should make thst not matter , since it isn’t really doctrinal, but.....

Homosexuality in the Roman Empire was not even remotely an executable offense.. I’m not even sure it was a crime..

The Jews had to ask the romans permission to execute people..So they would have been living under some level of roman law. So I’m not sure at all homosexuality was a crime in ancient Judea...

The church’s push against homosexuality came in like the 700-800’s If memory servers..

I’m also not sure “homosexuality “ for them
Wasn’t about not having a wife at all.. a lot of cultures were cool with homosexuality if you kept a family for leaving heirs and such..

I think it might be intensely facininating to find out a first century judea historian’s opinion on what they thought of homosexuality.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

There is no group in the lgbt community fighting for pedos anymore than there is a group of straights fighting for pedos..

Pedos are like Nazis.. no one supports them and lazy people use them to demonize their ideological opponents..

MOST pedophiles are straight... of male pedophiles that like boys , most have wives and live their lives as straight..

Well or are church officials of course...

I really find that attempt to combine lgbt and pedophiles just a crappy thing to do..

I bet you are a BILLION times more likely to be molested by one of your own fellow church members than your openly gay neighbor.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

So, please, enlighten me. At what point did Jesus command us to follow the Bible?

See Mark 12:28-31.

According to God’s own Son, Jesus Christ, what God requires of us can be summed up in 2 commandments. Consider first the setting of Jesus’ words. He was teaching in the temple on Nisan 11, a few days before his death. His enemies tried to trip him up by asking him some controversial questions. Each time, he silenced them with his answers. Then, Jesus was asked this question: “Which commandment is first of all?”​—Verse 28.

That was a challenging question. Some Jews debated which of the more than 600 laws that made up the Mosaic Law was first, or most important. Others, it seems, contended that all the laws were equally important and that it was wrong to give more weight to some than to others. How would Jesus respond to the question?

In reply, Jesus mentioned not one but two commands (the first often overlooked and mistranslated). First, he said: “You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind and with your whole strength.” (Verse 30; Deuteronomy 6:5) The terms “heart,” “mind,” “soul,” and “strength” are not mutually exclusive. * The meaning is: Love for Jehovah must involve the whole person, all his faculties and resources. One Bible reference work puts it this way: “God is to be loved completely and totally.” If you thus love God, you will do your best to live each day in a way that wins his smile of approval.​—1 John 5:3:

3 For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome,

So in order to love Jehovah we must obey/observe Jehovah's commandments. Where can we find those? Throughout the entire Bible, just like the command to love Jehovah with our whole heart, soul and strength can be found at Deuteronomy 6:5.

*: In the Bible, the word “soul” refers to the entire person. Therefore “soul” can embrace “heart,” “mind,” and “strength.”

Second, Jesus said: “You must love your neighbor as yourself.” (Verse 31; Leviticus 19:18) Love of God and love of neighbor are really inseparable. The second is a by-product of the first. (1 John 4:20, 21) If we love our neighbors as ourselves, we will treat them the way we want them to treat us. (Matthew 7:12) We thereby show that we love the God who made us​—and them—​in his image.​—Genesis 1:26.

How important are the commands to love God and neighbor? “There is no other commandment greater than these,” said Jesus. (Verse 31) In the parallel account, Jesus said that all the other commandments hang on these two.​—Matthew 22:40.

But love is not just a matter of words or feelings; it is expressed in action. (1 John 3:18)

Jesus taught that the entire Mosaic Law, including the Ten Commandments, rested on these two fundamental commandments.

“Law of the Christ.” ... Like Moses, the mediator of the Law covenant, Jesus Christ is Mediator of the new covenant. Moses wrote the Law in code form, but Jesus did not personally put a law down in writing. He talked and put his law into the minds and hearts of his disciples. Neither did his disciples set down laws in the form of a code for Christians, classifying the laws into categories and subheadings. Nonetheless, the Christian Greek Scriptures are full of laws, commands, and decrees that the Christian is bound to observe.​—Re 14:12; 1Jo 5:2, 3; 4:21; 3:22-24; 2Jo 4-6; Joh 13:34, 35; 14:15; 15:14.

Jesus gave instruction to his disciples to preach the ‘good news of the kingdom.’ His command is found at Matthew 10:1-42; Luke 9:1-6; 10:1-12. At Matthew 28:18-20 a new command was given to Jesus’ disciples to go, not to the Jews only, but to all nations, to make disciples and baptize them with a new baptism, “in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you.” Thus, with divine authorization Jesus taught and issued commands while on earth (Ac 1:1, 2) as well as after his ascension. (Ac 9:5, 6; Re 1:1-3) The entire book of Revelation consists of prophecies, commands, admonition, and instruction to the Christian congregation.

The “law of the Christ” covers the whole course and scope of the Christian’s life and work. ...

Source: Law (Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 2)

In order not to get the wrong impression, you may also want to read the paragraph from the source above on the “Law of God to Israel​—The Law of Moses.” Or this article:

Are We Under the Ten Commandments?

And regardless of your disdain for Paul's writings, I will mention this from that paragraph I just mentioned though:

The Law also served as “a shadow of the good things to come,” and things connected with it were “typical representations,” causing Jesus and the apostles to call upon it often to explain heavenly things and matters concerning Christian doctrine and conduct. Therefore, it provides an essential and necessary field of study for the Christian.​—Heb 10:1; 9:23.

Keep the following in mind regarding the word “Law” as it is used there or anywhere in the Bible: When it is capitalized, this word refers either to the Mosaic Law or to the first five books of the Bible. When it is lowercased, it may refer to individual laws of the Mosaic Law or a principle of law.​—Nu 15:16; De 4:8; Mt 7:12; Ga 3:24. Of course, on the page I quoted from, sometimes it's capitalized because it's the beginning of a sentence or heading for a paragraph, as in the case of the “Law of the Christ.”, which is later expressed as:

The “law of the Christ” covers the whole course and scope of the Christian’s life and work. ...

See last sentence I quoted and notice the lack of capitalization.

These songs contain some of the Bible teachings expressed in this comment:

Micah 6:8

He has told you, O earthling man, what is good. And what is Jehovah asking back from you but to exercise justice and to love kindness and to be modest in walking with your God?

One of my personal favorites (perhaps my favorite):

edit on 28-10-2019 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

Prior to the Roman occupation, Babylonian invasion, Syrians etcetera etcetera there was a time Israel lived in peace and prospered
They had their own civil and spiritual laws as well as moral laws
Homosexuality was a crime punishable by death but, the death sentence was an extremity, not something carried out often. Don’t forget, many Jews or non Jews would have left Israel and lived in gay friendly communities around the ME area

Homosexuality, like pre marital sex was a crime punishable, don’t make a mistake about that

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Homosexuality is not a crime, pedopphilia is, use some common sense, please use common sense

Common sense tells me that not so long ago homosexuality was considered a crime.
In the future when pedophilia will NOT be a crime.. ( we can clearly see it going that way with children’s rights.. and they will be so sexualized by media,etc.. that it will be their ‘free will’ to choose to have sex and our insane society will advocate for it at some point )...will you be willing to stand by and say it is legal so it is up to the participants and their free will.

You seem to be hung up on civil law, and I don’t see much common sense in many civil laws and they are just getting worse.

I could debate many other points you made but you’re really not worth the time.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
I find it interesting that many Christians ignore the bible, on topics like creation and morality.
I am not talking about the Old Testament either, the scriptures in the New Testament. The bible is not a smorgasbord/buffet that we get to pick and choose only the stuff we personally agree with.

The reason I bring this up is that I recently saw a big rainbow flag planted right in front of a church. This is not the only issue but it sure is the most visible.

From Jesus himself who said....

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me on that day [when I judge them], ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, and driven out demons in Your name, and done many miracles in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them publicly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me [you are banished from My presence], you who act wickedly [disregarding My commands].’

Matthew 7: 21-23

It is a warning for all Christians, we ignore the bible at our own peril.

You don't scare me. I find your faith flawed. The one true God is all-power and all-loving. My faith is in an all-powerful God of unconditional love who let's everyone enter the gates of Heaven to experience eternal bliss regardless of our Earthly sins. Any God who has conditions for why someone is loved or not is NOT worth worshiping. The one true God loves every facet of His creation equally without constraint.

Human beings are created with imperfections. Human beings do not have omnipotent powers so we do not have the power to make real choices to avoid sin altogether. Because of our imperfections sin is inevitable. So it makes no sense to condemn people who are created by God with imperfections for their imperfections. I'm pretty sure our omnipotent God knew exactly what was going to happen to the apple in the garden with a naked woman prancing about. If God cared about sin He would not have created us having imperfections in the first place.

Pass on the good news: Everyone is saved regardless of our Earthly sins. You no longer have to buy your absolution from the church or say magic words in a certain order. All you have to do is have faith in an all-powerful God of unconditional love.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Well Sheye, you are welcome to your opinion

I don’t equate homosexuality with pedophelia and am embarrassed for Christianity when I read comments like yours

Please stop stalking me, don’t reply, I don’t care for your passive aggressive complaining

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
The bible is not a smorgasbord/buffet that we get to pick and choose only the stuff we personally agree with.

What a great OP. There's no end to the gold nuggets found in it.

Some people who study comparative religions and English literature realize the Bible is a product of the time it was written. For some people, the essential message "having morality is important" should be separated from the historical context in which the Bible was written. For example, it's kind of mind boggling to think the Bible got the morality of slavery wrong.

Well, if the Bible got the morality of slavery wrong, then maybe there are other ideas that are only relevant in the historical context. Take the idea of monarchy and how it is expressed in the Bible. You can't have a Lord unless you have Slaves. I find it simple unbelievable our omnipotent God of unlimited power would choose monarchy as the primary form of divine government.

It seems to me our all-power all-loving God would be just a wee bit more egalitarian with His governance. I'm mean what is the point of being omnipotent if you can't make other people happy by sharing in your overflowing abundance of power.

Well, if I haven't convinced you the Bible should be read as metaphor not to be taken out of the historical context it was written then consider these passages and what they mean by today's standards of morality:

No. 1:St Paul’s advice about whether women are allowed to teach men in church:

“I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

No. 2: In this verse, Samuel, one of the early leaders of Israel, orders genocide against a neighbouring people:

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

No. 3: A command of Moses:

“Do not allow a sorceress to live.” (Exodus 22:18)

No. 4: The ending of Psalm 137, a psalm which was made into a disco calypso hit by Boney M, is often omitted from readings in church:

“Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us – he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.” (Psalm 137:9)

No. 5: Another blood-curdling tale from the Book of Judges, where an Israelite man is trapped in a house by a hostile crowd, and sends out his concubine to placate them:

“So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)

No. 6: St Paul condemns homosexuality in the opening chapter of the Book of Romans:

“In the same way also the men, giving up natural intercourse with women, were consumed with passion for one another. Men committed shameless acts with men and received in their own persons the due penalty for their error.” (Romans 1:27)

No. 7: In this story from the Book of Judges, an Israelite leader, Jephthah, makes a rash vow to God, which has to be carried out:

“And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord, and said, ‘If you will give the Ammonites into my hand, then whoever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be the Lord’s, to be offered up by me as a burnt-offering.’ Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah; and there was his daughter coming out to meet him with timbrels and with dancing. She was his only child; he had no son or daughter except her. When he saw her, he tore his clothes, and said, ‘Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low; you have become the cause of great trouble to me. For I have opened my mouth to the Lord, and I cannot take back my vow.’” (Judges 11:30-1, 34-5)

No. 8: The Lord is speaking to Abraham in this story where God commands him to sacrifice his son:

‘Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt-offering on one of the mountains that I shall show you.’ (Genesis 22:2)

No. 9: “Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:22)

No. 10: “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

Top 10 worst Bible passages

edit on 27-10-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Me thinks you know not what you speak of. There is a movement within scientific realms saying pedos are just hard wired to be sexually attracted to children, which is basically giving them license for their fetish.

What will be the next step ? We are already seeing a rise in young tran children dancing sexually for money. Who are they keeping company with ? The LGBTQ community. ( of course they are not all like that )

We have transvestites reading in libraries and doing exotic dances while children are encouraged to stuff money in their garters.

Yes..some in the LGBTQ are VERY damaging to children and have strong pedo impulses.

Time will prove me right. Perversion breeds perversion.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Great argument dfn, Constantine believed the same but what about people who don’t want God in their lives, who don’t want a relationship
Are you saying God will force them into a relationship, is that love?

I don’t think God will force anyone into anything, freewill

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Me thinks you know not what you speak of. There is a movement within scientific realms saying pedos are just hard wired to be sexually attracted to children, which is basically giving them license for their fetish.

This is a dumb argument based on hate. Consider what you are saying but in terms of heterosexuality. Say a 22 year old female teacher has sex with a 16 years old boy student. It's against the law. Teachers have been convicted of this type of pedophilia and have gone to prison.

If someone has a perversion that is against the law it doesn't mean they no longer have to abide by the law.

Please try to think through what you are saying.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: dfnj2015

Great argument dfn, Constantine believed the same but what about people who don’t want God in their lives, who don’t want a relationship
Are you saying God will force them into a relationship, is that love?

I don’t think God will force anyone into anything, freewill

I thought about this for a really long time. This is what I think happens when you die. You know how people who have had near death experiences talk about a white light. At the moment of your death, when you turn and look into the face of God, I think you get two choices. The first choice is to bravely and humbly look into the face of God. At that point, you become so enamored with God’s infinite beauty, all time ceases to exist, you stop having conscious thoughts, and you melt into the mind of God experiencing eternal heavenly bliss. The God experience is greatest possible experience one can have by definition. No other experience is so fulfilling and complete than the God experience, again, by definition. The God experience is like every cell in your entire body is having a simultaneous orgasm. Even though this only happens for a few nanoseconds before physical death, with your brain operating at 100% heightened neural capacity, it feels like eternity to the conscious self.

The second choice, for whatever reason, you decide to look away from the face of God. Why would anyone turn away from God's infinite beauty. Well staring into the face of God is like a mirror showing each of us all our imperfections. Unless our heart is light as a feather we can't stand the power of God's gaze. So some people turn away from God because they cannot accept their own imperfections and who they are as a person.

At that moment, if you turn away, God immediately gives you the power of omnipotence. An omnipotent God can certainly dole out the power of omnipotence and still retain all his powers. Now at first this may sound like a really good thing. But after millions and millions of years, which is only nanoseconds real time, living out all your petty profane desires and imaginations you will become extremely bored. After having sex with two chicks 10,000 times is probably enough.

Eventually you will decide to turn back and look into the face of God. However, this time you don't look away. All the reasons you would have to look away have been resolved during your stint with omnipotent powers. And just after you look into the face of God you have the thought what the heck was I thinking when I turned away the first time? Time will then cease to exist as you experience everlasting heavenly bliss.

Now some of you may be thinking, gee, you die, you turn away from God and you get rewarded with the power of having omnipotence. This may sound unfair if you are immature in your thinking and you take pleasure in the thought of sinners suffering. Or maybe your heart is full of hate and you are seeking revenge against people who have sinned against you. But from our omnipotent all-loving God's perspective, what better way to win over someone’s love and devotion so absolutely and completely than by perfectly giving them everything their heart desires?

The real sad thing is why anyone would ever waste any time at all with petty and profane desires when they can be looking into the face of God basking in the glow of heavenly eternal bliss. Nothing we can imagine or invent could ever come close to experiencing God's infinite beauty. When we experience God's infinite beauty we become complete, whole, without any needs or desires.

edit on 28-10-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

This is a dumb argument based on hate. Consider what you are saying but in terms of heterosexuality. Say a 22 year old female teacher has sex with a 16 years old boy student. It's against the law. Teachers have been convicted of this type of pedophilia and have gone to prison.

If someone has a perversion that is against the law it doesn't mean they no longer have to abide by the law.

Please try to think through what you are saying.

When I say children , I mean younger children ... not 16 year olds willingly engaging with teachers.

It’s not based on hate.. it’s based on fact. There has been scientific research done on it.. and the pedo’s brain is wired differently according to the research. What does that mean for the free will of children and pedos in the future ?

Will laws be changed to accommodate for their free will ? Does God not give them free will at some point concerning their sexuality ?

Think we could be talking about two different things here. Tired.. need to go to bed.

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Ehhh. If you can choose to believe in a magic man in the sky, you can obviously just pick and choose what you want to believe. Right?
edit on 28-10-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic
In reply, Jesus mentioned not one but two commands (the first often overlooked and mistranslated). First, he said: “You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind and with your whole strength.” (Verse 30; Deuteronomy 6:5) . . . One Bible reference work puts it this way: “God is to be loved completely and totally.” If you thus love God, you will do your best to live each day in a way that wins his smile of approval.​—1 John 5:3:

3 For this is what the love of God means, that we observe his commandments; and yet his commandments are not burdensome,

So in order to love Jehovah we must obey/observe Jehovah's commandments. Where can we find those? Throughout the entire Bible, just like the command to love Jehovah with our whole heart, soul and strength can be found at Deuteronomy 6:5.

edit: Where can we find those (according to Jesus as well)? Throughout the entire Bible (see for example Luke 11:28 quoted in the first song/video, although mislabeled as 18:28 in the video)...

28 But he [Jesus] said: “No, rather, happy are those hearing the word of God and keeping it!

On one occasion, Jesus said in prayer to God: “Your word is truth.” (John 17:17) The Bible, written under divine inspiration, reveals truth that provides both reliable guidance and a sure hope for the future​—everlasting life.​—2 Timothy 3:15-17.

The Word of God. “The word of Jehovah” is an expression that, with slight variations, occurs hundreds of times in the Scriptures. By “the word of Jehovah” the heavens were created. God said the word and it was accomplished. “God proceeded to say: ‘Let light come to be.’ Then there came to be light.” (Ps 33:6; Ge 1:3) It should not be understood from this that Jehovah himself does no work. (Joh 5:17) But he does have myriads of angels that respond to his word and carry out his will.​—Ps 103:20.

Creation, animate and inanimate, is subject to God’s word, and can be used by him to accomplish his purposes. (Ps 103:20; 148:8) His word is dependable; what God promises he also remembers to do. (De 9:5; Ps 105:42-45) As he himself has said, his word “will last to time indefinite”; it will never return without accomplishing its purpose.​—Isa 40:8; 55:10, 11; 1Pe 1:25.

Jehovah is a communicative God, in that he reveals to his creatures in a variety of ways what his will and purposes are. God’s words were spoken, doubtless through an angel, to such men as Adam, Noah, and Abraham. (Ge 3:9-19; 6:13; 12:1) At times he used holy men like Moses and Aaron to make known his purposes. (Ex 5:1) “Every word” that Moses commanded Israel was in effect the word of God to them. (De 12:32) God also spoke through the mouth of prophets such as Elisha and Jeremiah, and prophetesses such as Deborah.​—2Ki 7:1; Jer 2:1, 2; Jg 4:4-7.

Many of the divine commandments were committed to writing from the time of Moses forward. The Decalogue, commonly called the Ten Commandments and known in the Hebrew Scriptures as “the Ten Words,” was first delivered orally and later ‘written by the finger of God’ on stone tablets. (Ex 31:18; 34:28; De 4:13) These commandments were called the “Words” at Deuteronomy 5:22.​—See TEN WORDS.

Joshua wrote additional “words in the book of God’s law” under divine inspiration, and this was true with other faithful Bible writers. (Jos 24:26; Jer 36:32) Eventually all such writings were collected together and made up what is called the Sacred Scriptures or Holy Bible. “All Scripture . . . inspired of God” would include, today, all the canonical Biblical books. (2Ti 3:16; 2Pe 1:20, 21) In the Christian Greek Scriptures, God’s inspired word is often spoken of as simply “the word.”​—Jas 1:22; 1Pe 2:2.

There are many synonyms for God’s word. For example, in Psalm 119, where references to Jehovah’s “word(s)” occur more than 20 times, synonyms are found in poetic parallelisms​—such terms as law, reminders, orders, regulations, commandments, judicial decisions, statutes, and sayings of Jehovah. This also shows that the expression “word” means a complete thought or message.

The word of God is also described in a number of other ways that give it breadth and meaning. It is “the ‘word’ [or “saying” (rheʹma)] of faith” (Ro 10:8, Int), “the word [or message (form of loʹgos)] of righteousness” (Heb 5:13), and “the word of the reconciliation” (2Co 5:19). God’s word or message is like “seed,” which, if planted in good soil, brings forth much fruitage (Lu 8:11-15); his sayings are also said to ‘run with speed.’​—Ps 147:15.
Why God’s Son is called “the Word.” ...

Source: Word, The (Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 2)

It would be a bit too much to quote that other paragraph but I left its heading there so that one doesn't get confused with what Jesus was referring to with “the word of God” at Luke 11:28.
edit on 28-10-2019 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

" ... we not prophese in your name" sound like Jesus admonishing against thinking and speaking as if YOU know God's Will.

We are told many things though, even though we should not judge because we don't know the end result for anyone or if their hearts change paths.
We know the path that leads to God is small and narrow and hard to follow. It is not the broad road.

Matthew 7-13Enter in by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the. way that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter in by it.

We are told what is good and how to know right and wrong. There are many examples. What would you think that People should be doing today? Justifying any wrongdoing? Advocating following what our hearts desire? We are told to judge deeds as being from God or not. Only not to judge a person or say to yourself they are condemned it is not our place.

Acts 13:10 and said, “You who are full of all deceit and fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease to make crooked the straight ways of the Lord?”

You Will Know Them by Their Fruits
Matthew 718
A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

2. Ephesians 5:11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them.

Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers … for what part has a believer with an unbeliever?” 2 Corinthians 6:13-15.

People doing anything repeatedly against gods will should not be our friends.
1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.”

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 English Standard Version (ESV)
9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous[a] will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Romans 1:26–27
English Standard Version
26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, ymen committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Ezekiel 3:18-19 So when I say to a wicked person, ‘You’re about to die,’ if you don’t warn or instruct that wicked person that his behavior is wicked so he can live, that wicked person will die in his sin, but I’ll hold you responsible for his death. If you warn the wicked person, and he doesn’t repent of his wickedness or of his wicked behavior, he’ll die in his sin, but you will have saved your own life.

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   

It's true love is very important, it's one of the laws Christ left us with.
However God's love did not save the Sodmites.... so it's obvious to all it has it's limits.
They wanted to rape the angels that looked like men, Lot even offered his daughters to try to protect them...in their morally depraved state they totally rejected that offer. Degradation of morality has no boundaries it just keeps pushing into a darker place. As one poster mentioned some are trying to normalize totally illegal sexual behavior that most understand to be bad that goes way beyond homosexuality.....where it the line for Christians "to be accepting and tolerant" of what modern society wants to do.

Jesus shows us all love as he paid the price with his blood which was very high, the last thing he wants to do is judge us worthy of death, yet the bible says God has given him that job, judging the sheep and goats at the very end of this world system.
I don't know who will be shown his mercy and love that day, any more than you, but the book of Revelation says many won't make it, and the bible tells us why.
edit on 28-10-2019 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join