It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Wins $10 Billion Pentagon Cloud Contract, Beating Amazon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
a reply to: machineintelligence

I wonder if that Capital One security breach of Amazon's cloud service played a part in Amazon losing out to Microsoft. Several congressmen/women have raised some questions about the vulnerability of government and corporate entities that use Amazon's cloud computing products.

Or , Amazon doesn't abide by CFIUS guidelines and Microsoft has to .

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

I wonder if that Capital One security breach of Amazon's cloud service played a part in Amazon losing out to Microsoft. Several congressmen/women have raised some questions about the vulnerability of government and corporate entities that use Amazon's cloud computing products.

How so? I would wonder less if you have said "this here is why" and possibly a link to it

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 06:17 AM
link   
It would be interesting to find out what is going to the cloud. Is the IRS? I know their systems are ancient but to go to the could means redeveloping it all. That will take years.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Malisa

How so? I would wonder less if you have said "this here is why" and possibly a link to it

A link to WHAT ?

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Oracle claims a former employee of Amazon (AWS) got a job advising the government on the cloud. As soon as it was almost a done deal that Amazon would be the only provider that would qualify to meet the governments stipulations, that guy (Deap Ubhi) went back to work for AWS. Legal action was taken but the judge said that there wasn't enough evidence to prove that Deap was trying to steer the award. I don't think Trump had any say on this outcome, just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I hate the cloud... now maybe my school just didnt have up to date enough information, but for what I have read its a giant security risk that the US govt should not be taking.

Yes I know dod saw something new and shiny and must have before we know for certain the design weakness, and I am certain some people in the decision making process will end up at a cushy consulting gig soon after the money is flowing into Microsoft.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This sounds like a never ending project unless theres serious clout from the very top.

Merging 500+ ancient systems across probably a couple of thousand sites all with their own quirks both in the technical and political ways of doing things will be a task from hell and i've done mainframe merges and its not a fun thing to do (is on the technical level but keeping the manglement happy is another matter).

From what I read one of the heads pulled out of the process as his son was an IBM consultant so I'd imagine that there will be a nice paycheck for IBM as they'll need new kit for the merged systems while keeping the old stuff running and licensing of software along with hardware.

It'll probably be a decade before the azure cloud will be much more than a glorified selection box of what system you want and connect you to it.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Malisa

A link to WHAT ?

LMFAO! Just realized how dumb my comment was, something was wrong with me lol, i misread what you said entirely :S

Sorry :/

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 08:54 PM
link   
it's a no brainer, Azure has less of a learning curve to current server admins. AWS requires another skill set in order to manage.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join