It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit Delayed. Another defeat for Johnson

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Another massive defeat for the government with the Letwin amendment, this basically says that Brexit has to be extended by at least 6 months now until the "deal" can be written into UK law. This means that parliament have more time to look at the deal, and refuse to pass it into law in those six months. It buys time for parliament for at least six months assuming that the EU grant the extension. What happens next is unclear but it could mean that the government don't even bother to pass a meaningful vote on the Brexit deal agreed upon earlier this week between the UK Government and the EU.

To be clear the vote on the deal has not yet happened, and it might not now.

This forces Boris to request an extension by 23:00 today.

Of course its up to the EU to grant that extension.
edit on 19-10-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

+19 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Sounds like a massive defeat of the people, who voted for Brexit, and the government is doing whatever they can to go against the vote.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
So bit of a crazy few minutes following this announcement.

Boris has basically said he is going to ignore the law, to be clear he is saying he will break the law and not submit a request to extend article 50.

Then Corybn got up and said, lets have a second referendum.

Ian Blackford has said if Boris doesn't do it then he will face the courts.

And to top it all of as am typing this the leader of the Lib-Dems just asked if the sitting could be suspended so that Boris could send the letter and then comeback to parliament to confirm he has sent it.

Its is mental....

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Sounds like a massive defeat of the people, who voted for Brexit, and the government is doing whatever they can to go against the vote.

The government tried to get the deal through its parliament, the sovereign parliament voted by the people who have passed this amendment against the wishes of the government.

Your entire statement is therefore incorrect.

Parliament and Government are not the same thing, this is not semantics its a fundamental aspect of how politics in the UK works.
edit on 19-10-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   

The government is trying to get the leaving deal through, it's just members of parliament who are voting it down.
If you think of our prime minister and cabinet team the executive, like your POTUS and his team, but being blocked by your senate, or house of representatives, best way I can describe it.

MP's from constituencies which voted leave have defied their local electorate in parliament, which is why the opposition do not want a snap general election right now.
The whole thing is a mess and a complicated one at that 😟

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Maybe I don't know the semantics you Brits use. In America the government is all of them, President, House, Senate, it's all the government. Your terminology might be different making my post off, if I wasn't studying I would look into it and formulate a better response, but I am, so I cant.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This is a disgrace by parliament! Before the referendum all parties agreed to abide by the result of the people. The public voted Brexit. Labour and lib dems have gone against their promise. They have ended democracy in the UK. This is another sad day for British politics.

Some say the public didn't vote for a no deal brexit but equally they didn't vote for a leave with a deal brexit. We must have brexit delivered if we are to have democracy restored!
edit on 19-10-2019 by SoEpic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Something else mental out of BBC News, this is an unnamed source so a pinch of salt.

Apparently, Boris is going to tell the EU to ignore the letter sent by parliament and get Brexit done on the 31st.

Its a bit of a wired one because the law requires Boris to send the letter not parliament.

When it was read out there where quite a few confused looks on the faces of pundents.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: SoEpic
This is a disgrace by parliament! Before the referendum all parties agreed to abide by the result. Labour and lib dems have gone against their promise. They have ended democracy in the UK. This is another sad day for British politics.

True but saying they will abide by the result is not the same as saying they will accept a bad deal or no deal.

All it means is that they promise we will leave the EU, nothing about what that would look like or when it would be even.

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Can someone please explain to me why Britain, has not already left the EU. The people voted to leave several years ago.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

In these discussions you need to be wary of using the word "government" in the broader American sense. In Britain, "the government" means the Cabinet, essentially. So in British terms "the government" put the motion forward, and the House is fighting against it. There will be confusion if you're not aware of the difference in usage.
edit on 19-10-2019 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker68
Can someone please explain to me why Britain, has not already left the EU. The people voted to leave several years ago.

Because they can't agree on a deal.

There is a general acceptance that leaving without a deal would be very bad for the UK so we need a deal.

So whats basically been happening is everyone is falling out over what that deal should be, the UK voted to leave the EU but we didn't vote on how and its the how thats the sticking point.

That is it in a nutshell without getting into the massive complexities of everything.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

He should pick his ditch sharpish as the queue forming fast to help bury him in it.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

He should pick his ditch sharpish as the queue forming fast to help bury him in it.

Haha, I bet he is regretting saying that now...

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker68

Because members of parliament representing constituencies around the UK have defied the wishes of their local electorate.
406 constituencies voted to leave the UK, only 242 voted remain...MP's representing leave constituencies have been traitors to their local electorate.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Aye hes already up to the neck, hes going to be needing a straw for his gub soon.

What a predicament?

Tragic all the same, but none the less hilarious to behold.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   

The public voted leave, even Corbyn voted leave, he has always been anti EU, he is causing problems when he doesn't believe in remaining in the EU, he is just trying to bring down the government but he is so unpopular he is miles behind BJ in the polls
Forget if you voted leave or remain - parliament has ended democracy and that's sad! You know we should have left by now.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   

And do you think they have been working hard to get a good deal, or have they been trying to get a no deal and force another vote?

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

And do you think they have been working hard to get a good deal, or have they been trying to get a no deal and force another vote?

I think that the government want "no-deal" deep down and I think they want to do everything they can to stop a second referendum.

posted on Oct, 19 2019 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I think that the government want "no-deal" deep down and I think they want to do everything they can to stop a second referendum.

The vote happened. Why would they want no deal? It seems to me from what I have seen is parliament has been working hard to make leaving hurt the UK in order to scare people and force another vote.

What amazing deal has parliament worked out that the government won't go for?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join